Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the difference in safe two-lane highway passing speeds between M3, S75D, S100D, and SP100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tiger

Oct 31, 2016
The real UN
I am trying to find information about differences, in safely passing at highway speeds (on a two-lane highway), between Tesla M3, S75D, S100D, and PS100D. Tesla quotes "1.2 seconds passing speed 45-65 mph" in the MS configurator for P100D, but it's hard to immagine how this looks like in comparison to typical ICE experience.

Ideally, would like to see some dashcam footage. @KidDoc? Here's the closest I've found to what I'm looking for, but would be more informative to see from the Tesla driver's perspective:

Related discussion:

I am trying to find information about differences, in safely passing at highway speeds (on a two-lane highway), between Tesla M3, S75D, S100D, and PS100D. Tesla quotes "1.2 seconds passing speed 45-65 mph" in the MS configurator for P100D, it's hard to immagine how this looks like in comparison to typical ICE experience

There's nothing like taking one for a test drive and finding out for yourself.

I leave Nicki in Ludicrous for this reason.
Unfortunately you get used to the passing ability while your passengers may not.
Case in point: we were heading uphill on a two lane behind a triple trailer rig going 55 MPH and slowing as he climbed. I pulled out to pass. There was oncoming traffic in sight. Sis went ballistic, I tried to calm her saying "passing is not a problem in this car". Nicky was well north of 100 MPH when we cleared the truck. We had tons of room given Nicki's acceleration.
Next time you pass a rig in your ICE, think about it, no downshift just instant acceleration. We went up hill with three in the car starting at 55 MPH. In the time it took to pass three trailers we hit over 100 MPH. Our Camry would be closer to 75 MPH on that pass so I would have been stuck behind the truck.

Case in point: we were heading uphill on a two lane behind a triple trailer rig going 55 MPH and slowing as he climbed. ... Next time you pass a rig in your ICE, think about it, no downshift just instant acceleration. ... Our Camry would be closer to 75 MPH on that pass so I would have been stuck behind the truck.

This is what I'm talking about, any dashcam footage?

I am trying to find information about differences, in safely passing at highway speeds (on a two-lane highway), between Tesla M3, S75D, S100D, and PS100D. Tesla quotes "1.2 seconds passing speed 45-65 mph" in the MS configurator for P100D, but it's hard to immagine how this looks like in comparison to typical ICE experience.

In the DragTimes video it shows the 50-70 time as 2.3 seconds. (at 4:36 in the video.):

Next time you pass a rig in your ICE, think about it, no downshift just instant acceleration. We went up hill with three in the car starting at 55 MPH. In the time it took to pass three trailers we hit over 100 MPH

First time I tried it, it was three cars behind a truck, doing 40 in a 55, driving the original 85. As I passed the truck, my wife mentioned, "You're doing 110". She doesn't look these days.

Because this car is so fast at passing, if you want to overtake a parade of 3 cars traveling behind a semi... and one of those cars gets the same idea, even if they glance in their left mirror before pulling out, they are not expecting a Tesla coming out of nowhere in the left lane.. be on your toes! May have to use those Brembos full force.

Also, the chief says you can't break the speed limit just because you're passing.