Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the first thing you play on your radio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hard to select just a single track, I'd be starting with more of a movie soundtrack-like mix of tunes:

Tom Petty - Runnin' Down a Dream
Yes - It Can Happen
Joe Cocker - You are so Beautiful
Evanescence - Bring Me to Life
Scorpions - Wind of Change
Queen - A Kind of Magic
Rush - Red Barchetta
Cake - Going the Distance
The Offspring - Bad Habit
Christopher Cross - Ride Like the Wind
Supertramp - Take the Long Way Home
Whitesnake - Is This Love
Van Halen - Running' with the Devil
Traveling Wilburys - Cool Dry Place

Fear of a Blank Planet - Porcupine Tree
The Incident - Porcupine Tree
Wish You Were Here- Pink Floyd
Rush- Hemsipheres... or 2112...or...
Then maybe some Deep Purple road tunes like "Space Truckin'" and "Highway Star"

I am having anxiety about how to get my music to play correctly with the current arrangement in the S. I have these fabulous dts digital surround 5.1 DVDAs and Blu-ray Audio 5.1 discs (uncompressed) that convert the music back to the original Alan Parsons quadrophonic recordings via 5.1. They were a pretty penny but worth it!

Anyone know how I can accomplish this? I'm a bit of a music fanatic.

I'm excited to see so many Rush fans here!

Neil Peart is the Elon Musk of Percussion. He essentially reinvented it.
Rush collaborates with Porcupine Tree. Alex Lifeson plays a solo on Porcupine Tree's "Fear of a Blank Planet". Give it a listen. His style is unmistakable. When you do listen make sure you use a format better than MP3 or you'll miss out on a lot.

I was actually thinking Rush myself! Some awesome percussion and very 'bright music'
but I may go with some String Cheese Incident or Shpongle

something like this:

(not too bad for a live recording)

the Hang drum is badassssssssss

or maybe some Zakir Hussain on the tablas

Last edited by a moderator:
With "just" two acoustic guitars, this is more on the"fast" side:

Paco De Lucia & Al Di Meola The Reunion "Mediterranean Sundance"

Enjoying the following one requires either a *lot* of patience, or the state of mind where you don't "need" music and might otherwise turn the sound system off. It is very slow, and more than an hour long. It is from one of the pioneers of electronic music, and perhaps only those who are already familiar with electronic music will have a sense for it...

Klaus Schulze - The Theme : The Rhodes Elegy

This is a much more fast paced piece (relatively speaking) from Klaus Schulze... two and a half hours long. And more electronic "features"...

Klaus Schulze - Picasso geht spazieren (Studio 1992)

Norbert....thanks for the Paco De Lucia and Al Dimeola link....that's one of my all time favorite guitar pieces...and the live performance is outstanding!

- - - Updated - - -

I am still skimming through this thread....very interesting.

In keeping with the Electric theme....I think that I will have to play U2 - The Electric Co.

Not a first song, and not even a driving song--but I bet Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek" would sound cool on the sound system with all of the harmonics:

Imogen Heap's "Blanket" live with Jeff Beck is another great song to test the sound system.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm excited to see so many Rush fans here!

I saw Rush live (here in Corpus Christi of all places) twice in the 70's. I am also enthused by the musical taste of the forum members.

The cool thing is that we can go to this thread from our car and play all of the songs along the way.

This is most definitely a great thread!

Was playing with the radio in the Green Model S at Menlo Park on Saturday when Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" came on (107.7 FM HD) - it rocked!!

I think I'll start off by blasting their "Best of..." - starting with my favorite looong song, "Kashmir" - in my non-Sound-Studio-equipped Model S!

gg...sent you a PM but I guess I could have just shared with everyone.

This is a video of Jimmy Page telling/showing The Edge and Jack White about how Kashmir came about.
It's from "It Might Get Loud" as an added clip. (Great movie btw)

I said this awhile ago but now that it's actually close to getting the car, I think I'm going to stick with Radiohead's "High and Dry" followed maybe by Pearl Jam's "Just Breathe (Live from Austin City Limits)", Jason Mraz's "A Beautiful Mess (From a Raining Jane Sessions) [Bonus Track]" and Joe Purdy's "You Can Tell Georgia".

Great choices! (I'm not familiar with "You Can Tell Georgia" though...will have to check it out).

I just started reading this thread over the weekend and it pushed one of my buttons. I have been playing guitar for 40 years now...and thoroughly enjoy music.
It is that passion for music that made me wonder about the quality of the sound system on the Model S tech package.

Great choices! (I'm not familiar with "You Can Tell Georgia" though...will have to check it out).

I just started reading this thread over the weekend and it pushed one of my buttons. I have been playing guitar for 40 years now...and thoroughly enjoy music.
It is that passion for music that made me wonder about the quality of the sound system on the Model S tech package.

Thanks! If you like singer/songwriter types, Joe Purdy is amazing. I saw him perform in Austin and loved it. The entire albulm, also entitled "You Can Tell Georgia", is great. I also like the songs on the CD "Secret", "Balcony / Green Eyes" and "Ode To Sad Clown".

Last edited: