Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe this is the sound most people in the thread are talking about.

YouTube shorts link

The best description I can come up with is that it sounds like an electrical high pitched chirping noise
Am I the only one that doesn't hear anything in either this video or the other one by the OP? I don't hear anything except the normal noises of the road and the suspension.

That is why I liked @davv 's post. It made sense with all the symptoms in this thread (that I've watched out of curiosity) and I've actually lived through that noise in another ICE vehicle of mine (same solution) (which you can definitely hear inside the cabin and was hard to predict what would cause it).

Reactions: SkyDog
Am I the only one that doesn't hear anything in either this video or the other one by the OP? I don't hear anything except the normal noises of the road and the suspension.

That is why I liked @davv 's post. It made sense with all the symptoms in this thread (that I've watched out of curiosity) and I've actually lived through that noise in another ICE vehicle of mine (same solution) (which you can definitely hear inside the cabin and was hard to predict what would cause it).
I can hear the occasional high-pitched ringing/squealing in the YouTube short. It is also one of the noises my Y is making randomly, typically above 50 mph, at colder temperatures, and under no more than light acceleration.

What minute mark?
Watching it again, I can hear the squealing for the majority of the video. It is happening starting at the beginning of the video clip, stops briefly between about 13 & 14 seconds, continues for a while, pauses again between the 34 sec and 42 sec points, then squeals again for the remainder of the clip.

Very high pitched, much higher than either the typical jostling of the car’s suspension over bumps or the electric motor whine during normal acceleration.

Reactions: rolling green
Watching it again, I can hear the squealing for the majority of the video. It is happening starting at the beginning of the video clip, stops briefly between about 13 & 14 seconds, continues for a while, pauses again between the 34 sec and 42 sec points, then squeals again for the remainder of the clip.

Very high pitched, much higher than either the typical jostling of the car’s suspension over bumps or the electric motor whine during normal acceleration.
So odd. I turn it up as loud as it will go, put headphones on, and I still can't hear anything like that. All I hear is the road noise and the thudding of the suspension.

I wonder if it is a high frequency noise. Humans can hear up to ~ 20 kHz, but each person's ability is different and as we age the top frequency we can hear lowers and lowers over time. A young person may hear something near 20 kHz just fine, but someone in their 50's may not hear it at all.

If so, this could be a very difficult thing to have any resolution because it would be difficult to objectively prove. Most decision makers regarding warranty or lemon law are likely in upper age.

Interesting. My advice would be to pursue some way to objectively measure the presence of the noise in a suspect car and the absence of the noise in a reference car. I don't know what device would do that though.

Reactions: cwhite51

YouTube shorts link

The best description I can come up with is that it sounds like an electrical high pitched chirping noise
yes that's the noise i hear all the time.... it comes in and out ....... i still believe it is the oil in the front drive unit, either under fill from the manufacture or there is air in the drive unit.... something like that........ anyone have do a oil and filter change for the front drive unit?

• Helpful
So odd. I turn it up as loud as it will go, put headphones on, and I still can't hear anything like that. All I hear is the road noise and the thudding of the suspension.

I wonder if it is a high frequency noise. Humans can hear up to ~ 20 kHz, but each person's ability is different and as we age the top frequency we can hear lowers and lowers over time. A young person may hear something near 20 kHz just fine, but someone in their 50's may not hear it at all.

If so, this could be a very difficult thing to have any resolution because it would be difficult to objectively prove. Most decision makers regarding warranty or lemon law are likely in upper age.

Interesting. My advice would be to pursue some way to objectively measure the presence of the noise in a suspect car and the absence of the noise in a reference car. I don't know what device would do that though.
when you listen to it, listen with the speaker on your phone, and put your ear close to the phone speaker, and ignore the air noise road noise, focus on the background little noise. does not need to turn the volume way up you still can hear it...

The sound is happening at 10000hz.

IMG_0968.jpeg

This noise is absolutely maddening, and now, with colder temperatures in the northeast, it has returned prevalently.

YouTube shorts link

The video posted here is absolutely (100%, no doubt about) the noise I'm hearing. It was first heard on my (new) 2023 Model 3 LR during the drive home after taking delivery of it. This noise has been heard ever since, MOSTLY in cold temperatures. I have not submitted a repair request for it so far because it seems like no one really knows what is causing it.

This noise is absolutely maddening, and now, with colder temperatures in the northeast, it has returned prevalently.

The video posted here is absolutely (100%, no doubt about) the noise I'm hearing. It was first heard on my (new) 2023 Model 3 LR during the drive home after taking delivery of it. This noise has been heard ever since, MOSTLY in cold temperatures. I have not submitted a repair request for it so far because it seems like no one really knows what is causing it.
Doesn't anybody here have any type of contacts in Tesla? It would be great if we could get at least a confirmation that they are investigating how to fix this

We just got our 2023 Model Y LR back from having the front drive unit replaced. The noise could still be heard, particularly on regen, despite it being nearly 60F outside. We are heartbroken.
That is very disappointing…. I head from pervious owner that even they replace the FDU it is still making the noise, it is the manufacturer FDU problem…. Thats why i still believe it is the oil in the FDU

That is very disappointing…. I head from pervious owner that even they replace the FDU it is still making the noise, it is the manufacturer FDU problem…. Thats why i still believe it is the oil in the FDU
I’m going to try a different tactic. I scheduled a service visit for 12/1 requesting they drain and replace the oil in the front and rear drive units. I added background info about the noises, but hopefully they give me an estimate of how much it would cost to do instead of claiming not to hear any problem on yet another ride-along.

I’m going to try a different tactic. I scheduled a service visit for 12/1 requesting they drain and replace the oil in the front and rear drive units. I added background info about the noises, but hopefully they give me an estimate of how much it would cost to do instead of claiming not to hear any problem on yet another ride-alo
cool !!! I would love to hear if this will be a FIX.

I’m going to try a different tactic. I scheduled a service visit for 12/1 requesting they drain and replace the oil in the front and rear drive units. I added background info about the noises, but hopefully they give me an estimate of how much it would cost to do instead of claiming not to hear any problem on yet another ride-along.
Looking forward to hearing if the drive unit oil refill does anything, this would be such a straightforward fix- please follow up here and let us know!

I have the same issue with a 23 M3 LR AWD made in China. It is faint but existant and definitely coming from the front of the car. My SC is quite far away and seeing the results people have reported I don't think I'm ready to fight Tesla.

Does anyone know if the fix in the second post works ?

cool !!! I would love to hear if this will be a FIX.

Looking forward to hearing if the drive unit oil refill does anything, this would be such a straightforward fix- please follow up here and let us know!
I’ll let the group know what happens. So far, the service center has responded the same way they have at each visit, saying a tech ride-along will be necessary upon arrival. Hopefully I can convince them to actually try this possible solution this time.

If it doesn’t work, oh well, but if it does we could save them a bunch of potentially unnecessary drive unit replacements (assuming significant bearing damage has not already occurred).

I’ll let the group know what happens. So far, the service center has responded the same way they have at each visit, saying a tech ride-along will be necessary upon arrival. Hopefully I can convince them to actually try this possible solution this time.

If it doesn’t work, oh well, but if it does we could save them a bunch of potentially unnecessary drive unit replacements (assuming significant bearing damage has not already occurred).
looking forward to your updates! when do you have the appointment?

looking forward to your updates! when do you have the appointment?
A week from today, 12/1. The service center has already reached out to request a video of the noise which I shared. They have also said they would do a ride-along once I arrive to determine if repairs would be covered under warranty or if they would be my responsibility. This is the same SC that has not performed any repairs on the previous three appointments for this issue, but hopefully this time will be different since I’m requesting a specific fix.