Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your best Wh/mi achieved?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0008.jpg

Some have had -ve w/m for their (40mile? I forgot exact#) return trip from Haleakala mt down to the flats in Maui :). My 16,000 mile average is 292wh/mile.
That would be Polywog. She gained about 32-33 miles. I’ve been at the crest of the saddle road on the big island with 25 miles and got home 45 miles later with 32 on the gauge. My passengers were concerned to see 25 miles in the tank and 45 to go on the energy monitor. I trusted the app.

That would be Polywog. She gained about 32-33 miles. I’ve been at the crest of the saddle road on the big island with 25 miles and got home 45 miles later with 32 on the gauge. My passengers were concerned to see 25 miles in the tank and 45 to go on the energy monitor. I trusted the app.

Guilty as charged! I haven't yet seen anyone beat my record, although I most definitely have an unfair advantage. Below is from one of my better descents earlier this year, where I averaged -310 wh/mi for just over 30 miles. And @Snerruc, it is "he" - no worries, my username has confused several in the past.

Haleakala_energy_down_m310whmi_a.jpg

My 16,000 mile average is 292wh/mile.
that's pretty impressive. You're pretty much on par with EPA rated range.

Our car through 22,000 kms (2015 70D averaged almost bang on 200 wh/km which = 322 wh/mile. Our cold weather kicks our average in the teeth for 4 months of the year.

I now drive a P90D and it's more like 250 wh/km (400 wh/mile) but that sample size pertains only to the past week and it has been below 0 during that period.

that's pretty impressive. You're pretty much on par with EPA rated range.

I now drive a P90D and it's more like 250 wh/km (400 wh/mile) but that sample size pertains only to the past week and it has been below 0 during that period.

As you rightly said, the ideal temps in California work to provide most of the battery to driving (less for battery temp conditioning). Also, perhaps 75% of my miles are on the daily commutes - lower speeds - better consumptions?

Enjoy your P90D. With the recent uncorking, I have now set my second trip meter to compare corked and uncorked consumption. Will report that in a year. I need one more trip meter pls :).

OK. What is the trick? I have to drive on the freeway for around 25 miles one way every day and I know that doesn't help. The best I have achieved is while on autopilot. To coast for a long time do most of you have regenerative braking turned down?

ok, guys I am a still a newbie as relates to this topic....Where can I read and understand the wh/mi standard? What is good, what is bad...I am assuming at this point the lower the number, the better.....
It is on the Energy Graph, and in Trips. You can put either/both on your IC (Information Cluster) using the scroll wheels. The Energy Graph displays your usage, including average over 5, 15 or 30 miles; a graph of the usage over that distance; and projected range based on your state of charge and that average usage.
If you put the Energy Graph on the IC, its range (5, 15, 30) is based on your selection in the app (big screen version).
The picture @Polly Wog posted is of a pre-autopilot (older) car's IC with trips shown. The picture @int-veh posted is of an autopilot (newer) car's IC with the Energy Graph shown.
From what's been posted here so far, it looks like the intent of this thread is your "best" energy usage over any 30 miles, but open to interpretation.

Lower means less energy used, "better" is apparently a matter of personal priorities as @gaswalla pointed out.
There is a solid line at 300 wh/m on the Energy Graph app. That is actually slightly higher than EPA rated usage, but close. If you match 286 wh/m (+/-, trim dependent) you match the EPA rated range and your usage will match the battery display. Good and bad are subjective. If you're a lead-foot, you might consider 350 wh/m good. If you're a hyper-miler, you might curse yourself for getting over 290 wh/m.

Last edited:
Reactions: Polly Wog
Guilty as charged! I haven't yet seen anyone beat my record, although I most definitely have an unfair advantage. Below is from one of my better descents earlier this year, where I averaged -310 wh/mi for just over 30 miles. And @Snerruc, it is "he" - no worries, my username has confused several in the past.

View attachment 266428
Sorry about that I guess I need to recalibrate my mental image.

View attachment 266428[/QUOTE]

ok, guys I am a still a newbie as relates to this topic....Where can I read and understand the wh/mi standard? What is good, what is bad...I am assuming at this point the lower the number, the better.....

Yes, the lower the number the better (More efficient)

At a certain Wh/mi you'll actually be able to travel the rated mileage listed on your dashboard. If you go above that number, you won't be able to travel as far, if you get below that number you'll be able to travel further than the rated mileage on the dash (bear in mind this is only including energy use whilst the car is in drive, so no vampire loss is taken into account).

For my P85D ~308 Wh/mile will make my "projected range" in the energy graph equal the rated range on the dash, apparently for @Brass Guy 's car it's 286 Wh/mile. So, as you can see, it varies from car model to car model (and software variant, I believe). I think it behooves you to know where yours is because it's a very useful metric to help you understand whether you have enough juice to complete the trip you're trying to make. As you drive more you will be able to guess where you're Wh/mi will be based on weather, driving style, etc, and during the drive you can monitor the Wh/mi to make sure you're on track.

Reactions: Brass Guy