Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What items would you take on a long road trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bring my wifey. After that, I don't need much. We stop to eat as I do not allow eating in the car, charging is everywhere, and I get reservations for motels before I leave for the trip. It's about as easy as driving a gas car, and it takes about as long to refill the "tank", get a snack, and hit the bathroom in either one. The difference is the quietness. One doesn't realize the NOISE a gas car makes, though tires are pretty noisy on their own.
Nice Toyota hybrid Camry can go far in comfort; if your going further then 400 miles, you might have to fill up in about 10-15 minutes, go to the bathroom, get some food to go, NP eating in the car, turn up the A/C, and drives 75-85+ without any worries or calculating, how you need to drive to get to the next SC.
I understand some have all the time in the world and don’t mind spending most of your vacation time making lots of pit stops and sleeping in hotels 😬🤷🏻‍♂️ 😂🤣

03a43148f8658757e796188c7b4a3f8b.jpg

Reactions: mbp11 and Zer0t
Nice Toyota hybrid Camry can go far in comfort; if your going further then 400 miles, you might have to fill up in about 10-15 minutes, go to the bathroom, get some food to go, NP eating in the car, turn up the A/C, and drives 75-85+ without any worries or calculating, how you need to drive to get to the next SC.
I understand some have all the time in the world and don’t mind spending most of your vacation time making lots of pit stops and sleeping in hotels 😬🤷🏻‍♂️ 😂🤣
Yeah but that hybrid doesn't do as well at 86-90 through say Kansas. I generally do between 55-65 local here. Was in the mid or maybe high 40s on the Denver trip. When I hit the high speed limits, my trip average dropped to the lower 30s. So my mpg must have been a lot lower. Maybe mid to high 20s for that stretch. And it's miles to empty gauge was pretty poor. It normally can get around 600 miles per tank (probably irrelevant). Coming back, I'm seeing 120 miles to empty ( I think this was Kansas, maybe MO) and think I should start looking for gas near the highway (I-70). In the next 10 miles, the miles to empty dropped 20. Same thing for the next 10 miles. Now I am starting get a bit concerned. Did the same stuff I'd do in the Tesla. Substantially dropped my speed and started considering how far off route I should consider. Fortunately with about 40 left there was gas by an exit.

As for noise, that Camry is pretty quite. You can barely notice and you have to be paying attention to hear/feel when the gas motor kicks in. And it is smooth. About the same feel as an automatic transmission. Just a wee bit of feel to the engine engagement. Can't feel it disengage at all.

Reactions: Msicario
Yeah but that hybrid doesn't do as well at 86-90 through say Kansas. I generally do between 55-65 local here. Was in the mid or maybe high 40s on the Denver trip. When I hit the high speed limits, my trip average dropped to the lower 30s. So my mpg must have been a lot lower. Maybe mid to high 20s for that stretch. And it's miles to empty gauge was pretty poor. It normally can get around 600 miles per tank (probably irrelevant). Coming back, I'm seeing 120 miles to empty ( I think this was Kansas, maybe MO) and think I should start looking for gas near the highway (I-70). In the next 10 miles, the miles to empty dropped 20. Same thing for the next 10 miles. Now I am starting get a bit concerned. Did the same stuff I'd do in the Tesla. Substantially dropped my speed and started considering how far off route I should consider. Fortunately with about 40 left there was gas by an exit.

As for noise, that Camry is pretty quite. You can barely notice and you have to be paying attention to hear/feel when the gas motor kicks in. And it is smooth. About the same feel as an automatic transmission. Just a wee bit of feel to the engine engagement. Can't feel it disengage at all.
Thank God there are gas stations everywhere unlike SC’s. My long range trips from OC are to AZ, NoCal, SD, LV.. Only SC around Phoenix is in Scottsdale😬 anything East is no go.