Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Kind of Car Did The Model 3 Replace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that you said this in your original post, ksoon, but I suspect there is a strong selection bias here. Having owned many cars and been a member of many forums, BMW owners have a HUGE forum presence (far more than other luxury brands from what I can tell), and therefore I think the probability of the "BMW enthusiast forum type" to become a TMC member is far higher than other luxury brands, thus impacting the results. Just my 2 cents. It's still a really neat tool to look at!

Reactions: ksoon
Sounds like time to see if they might add a Tesla destination charger there somewhere (or other L2).
That would be great, but even if they added EV chargers to the employee parking lot, I most likely wouldn't use them. Most of the airport employees that park there only park for their 8 or 10 hour shifts. I'd bet the parking lot is 75% daily parkers, and only 25% airline crew members that leave their cars in the lot for multiple days at a time.

I don't think it would be very nice of me to plug my car in for 3 to 4 days straight while I'm off on a trip. ;) When they finally install EV chargers in the employee lot, I'm hoping that some of them will be designated for airline crew members to use for multiple days.

OK you have to let us know how that sort of long distance commute, with vampire drain and no charging available while at work turns out. If you can live with that and are not too inconvenienced by it then that really says EV's are here for the masses (where the average US driver has less than a 30 miles commute). Your use case will be a great experiment for all of us in this community to learn from.
Will do, for sure. Hopefully at some point they'll install EV chargers in the employee lot, and allocate some of them for airline crew members to use for multiple days.

I know that you said this in your original post, ksoon, but I suspect there is a strong selection bias here. Having owned many cars and been a member of many forums, BMW owners have a HUGE forum presence (far more than other luxury brands from what I can tell), and therefore I think the probability of the "BMW enthusiast forum type" to become a TMC member is far higher than other luxury brands, thus impacting the results. Just my 2 cents. It's still a really neat tool to look at!

This is likely true. I'm just compiling what's being reported here, so the data itself has no bias (but owners might!). With that said, I can't even say if it's a true representative sample of the Model 3 community. We'd have to survey way more people. I'm sure Tesla has some version of this data for their own intelligence on market share over other brands—but then again they don't market, so it's certainly interesting to see BMW + VW AG owners switching to Tesla. If we really wanted to get crazy with it, that's where all the nitty gritty demographics, income, etc. come into play.

There's a far more intensive study on how/why we all choose the Model 3, but on the surface it was surprising to me to see BMW at the top. I expected more Hybrid owners to make the switch, but there's enough diversity across the board to somewhat negate the glaring "BMW is losing to Tesla" vibe that the data probably gives off. Most of us are first-time EV owners, which is pretty great in its own right.

And this is all coming from someone who swore he'd never buy a domestic-made car, let alone an EV. I considered the '19 Mazda 3 right before the Model 3. Those tax incentives really reeled me in.

Last edited:
Most of us are first-time EV owners, which is pretty great in its own right.

Totally agreed. It's very cool.

FWIW, I didn't replace my BMW with a Model 3 for ideological/climate/etc. reasons, I got the Model 3 because it is years ahead of everyone else from a technological standpoint, it has great performance for the money, I love the minimalist interior and UI, and it's more convenient than an ICE vehicle for my use-case (daily commuter).

That would be great, but even if they added EV chargers to the employee parking lot, I most likely wouldn't use them. Most of the airport employees that park there only park for their 8 or 10 hour shifts. I'd bet the parking lot is 75% daily parkers, and only 25% airline crew members that leave their cars in the lot for multiple days at a time.

I don't think it would be very nice of me to plug my car in for 3 to 4 days straight while I'm off on a trip. ;) When they finally install EV chargers in the employee lot, I'm hoping that some of them will be designated for airline crew members to use for multiple days.

You need to find a 120V plug for 3-4 day trips. Ideally, they'd put in a L2 for you though and trickle charge your car to 70%

Totally agreed. It's very cool.

FWIW, I didn't replace my BMW with a Model 3 for ideological/climate/etc. reasons, I got the Model 3 because it is years ahead of everyone else from a technological standpoint, it has great performance for the money, I love the minimalist interior and UI, and it's more convenient than an ICE vehicle for my use-case (daily commuter).

Amen to minimalism ;) and having a giant iPhone on wheels isn't so bad either!

I remember "phantom building" a Model 3 a few times when the tax incentive was $7.5k and said nah...too expensive. Now look what happened haha. I ended up with mine for a variety of reasons—mostly economical—I was tired of the maintenance on my approaching 15-year old G35, needed to get rid of it before the registration/smog was due, and also had a terrible clear coat failure that would've cost me more than it was worth to respray. The timing and numbers just added up and I said screw it, if I'm gonna go all the way might as well go Tesla. I couldn't justify spending $35k+ on anything else, especially in the long run. I actually wanted a car I didn't give an F about...now I'm obsessed. So in a sense, I won and I lost.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Spacep0d
I would recommend not using country column. It doesn't achieve anything in terms of promoting the brand, if anything it can potentially dissuade someone in Japan, Germany to buy Tesla.
Tesla movement is beyond any country, race, religion.

Originally bought a S75 in September of 2016 (there was a good lease deal going on) to get to the top of the m3 list. Ended up buying out the lease last year and then buying the MR3 to replace a 2011 Lexus CT200h. Reliable but gutless which was only more pronounced after dirving the S for a while.