Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of Rear Trunk do we expect on the T≡SLA Model ≡?

What style of rear storage area will there be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Double hinge falcon style.

That's possible. Hatch based is most likely due to aerodynamic drag.

My guess though, no trunk, only a frunk. I'm expecting model X type windscreen then falcon wing door hinge and then another glass window down the back like the windscreen. Picture the roof line of the model X without a moving trunk and the glass going all the way to the falcon wing door hinge.

Jeeze, I was just joking. I sincerely hope they do NOT do this. Waste of money for a trunk.

That's possible. Hatch based is most likely due to aerodynamic drag.

My guess though, no trunk, only a frunk. I'm expecting model X type windscreen then falcon wing door hinge and then another glass window down the back like the windscreen. Picture the roof line of the model X without a moving trunk and the glass going all the way to the falcon wing door hinge.

Is there absolutely zero chance of rear facing seats? I know, I know...20% smaller and all that, but 0% it will seat more than 5? If there was some way to make it happen, that would sure be great for a large number of middle-class families who aren't going to spend money on S and X, but want seating for more than 5 and want a Tesla for safety, convenience, etc. I haven't seen any discussion on if it were possible, so this thread seemed appropriate to ask if WERE possible to have them in the back. Thus far, Elon has been great in catering to families.

Is there absolutely zero chance of rear facing seats? I know, I know...20% smaller and all that, but 0% it will seat more than 5? If there was some way to make it happen, that would sure be great for a large number of middle-class families who aren't going to spend money on S and X, but want seating for more than 5 and want a Tesla for safety, convenience, etc. I haven't seen any discussion on if it were possible, so this thread seemed appropriate to ask if WERE possible to have them in the back. Thus far, Elon has been great in catering to families.

A 2x2x2 configuration has been on my mind for awhile now, similar to the Mazda5. Three passenger wide makes for a larger frontal area that effects efficiency

I don't think the trunk area will be long enough to put rear facing seats (esp. ones that can be stowed). I think Tesla largely will look at how popular the option was on Model S and probably will decide if it is worth even any effort to consider it for Model 3.

Honestly, I think this would be a great topic for a new Thread with a Poll of its own.

But, I don't think that the Model ≡ will have rear facing seats in the Hatch. It just seems very unlikely that with it being (yup you guessed it) 20% smaller that it would be safe enough.

You all are so funny. You are talking about a car that is currently at the high level conceptual stage. There is no prototype and no drawings of the car. Just a concept. Based on the Tesla's past performance they are usually 3-4 years late on delivery. Deliveries will probably not start until 2019/2020. That is 3-4 years from now and you are talking about details like how big the trunk will be, whether it will have rear facing seats and how far it will go. Do you understand this is all conceptual now and Tesla doesn't even know the answers to these questions. Come back in two years and there may be a prototype.

You all are so funny. You are talking about a car that is currently at the high level conceptual stage. There is no prototype and no drawings of the car. Just a concept. Based on the Tesla's past performance they are usually 3-4 years late on delivery. Deliveries will probably not start until 2019/2020. That is 3-4 years from now and you are talking about details like how big the trunk will be, whether it will have rear facing seats and how far it will go. Do you understand this is all conceptual now and Tesla doesn't even know the answers to these questions. Come back in two years and there may be a prototype.
So we're going to go from no prototype, no drawings, to an actual product reveal in less than 5 weeks? ≡lon would strongly disagree with you I suspect.

You all are so funny. You are talking about a car that is currently at the high level conceptual stage. There is no prototype and no drawings of the car. Just a concept.

I'd love to know where you get your information. But in reality I don't think it matters because I think there is a 99.999% chance that it is wrong. (I guarantee that they have drawings, and probably even prototypes. They are way past the "high level conceptual stage.")

I'm not saying that the drawings/prototypes that they have are final...

Darryl has been posting the same pessimistic message across multiple threads today. Whether he is right or wrong in assuming that, it is just a matter of 4 weeks before we find out. I'd expect Musk to tease everyone on Twitter a day or two prior to the reveal, though.

Coming to the trunk, the Cd requirements of the design will have a huge impact on the trunk design. It is easy for us to predict the rough shape of it. It will be a replica of Model S trunk. This is because the most aerodynamic rear for a vehicle is when the roofline slopes down to the back of the car, while the sides (between the B & C pillars) of the upper half of the car progressively get narrow leading back (subtler than roof slope). You see both of these design characteristics on the Model S rear. There is no reason not to use the same effective shape for the rear of the Model 3. If anything, it is probably part of Tesla's design philosophy at this point, as you see the same characteristics on Model X as well.