Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Kind of Shifter Will the Model 3 Have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot_20170202-065252.png

I like this one.

Last edited:
I really like the push buttons on my Roadster. But the little joystick on the 2004 Prius is okay, too. Whatever the Model 3 has, I am sure I will find it annoying at first, and equally sure I will get used to it and be happy with it.

Reactions: Red Sage
I was always partial to this design:
1968-1972 El Camino Console Auto Shifter Assy 1968-72
Shift2.png

Though, I admit it may be out of place in an electric car without a mechanical linkage to a transmission, I somehow think it would be nice to operate. Old as it is, I always thought it was kind of futuristic, and a bit more sporty than a column shifter. At the very least, J-Turns would be easier to manage in emergency situations.

Right? Hello...? Anybody there?

What exactly makes them 'better'...? That they are smaller and further away? Or just that there is a tiny display behind the steering wheel?
What we like and dislike is completely subjective. Cleary we are totally opposite on this one. If you like it, great, but I'm meh...anyway, the other ones just look like there were considered in the design of the dash. Like they had a logical place and seem to "flow" in the overall design. The 3 screen looks like they designed this fancy dashboard with the magical slot vent(s) and realized, "oh @#$$, were do we put the screen?" So they made this "sculpted" mount and slapped the screen protruding out of the dash and called it done.

Btw, I'm fine with no screen behind the wheel. Would I like one, sure, but think with the assumed HUD, it wouldn't be needed.

• Informative
Yeah, one that will be attached to absolutely nothing, but will give the driver that "old school" feel!

Dan
Speaking of old school, maybe add an optional engine noise simulator for them old school petro-heads. All the luxury ICE car makers are doing it anyway to make their new "eco" turbo 4 or 6 sound like a V8. Maybe even simulate gear changes by reducing torque at fake shift points and match the engine noise pitch change.

I'm only half joking, or maybe 75% joking. Sorry for sidetracking.

• Funny
Speaking of old school, maybe add an optional engine noise simulator for them old school petro-heads. All the luxury ICE car makers are doing it anyway to make their new "eco" turbo 4 or 6 sound like a V8. Maybe even simulate gear changes by reducing torque at fake shift points and match the engine noise pitch change.

I'm only half joking, or maybe 75% joking. Sorry for sidetracking.

Before the Nissan Leaf made it cheaper to buy a new EV, there were folks converting old junker cars to electric, and some of them would offer to include a CD of engine noise. I always thought that was a horrid idea. The quietness of an EV is one of the things I love about them, and the noise pollution is one of the many, many things I hate about stinkers.