Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kinds of problems can we expect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the Debbie-Downer question.

Perhaps a better question would be: What problems wouldn't surprise you, based on Model S/X experience?

For example, a lagging touch screen, malfunctioning of a retractable glass roof.... etc

Haters gonna hate. Let's not discuss problems with a car that doesn't yet exist.

h52AAF291

Is that a chicken or an egg question? If Tesla knew what problem was likely to occur, wouldn't they try to do something in advance to prevent it?

Not to turn this political, but the (in)famous Rumsfeld quote comes to mind:

"There are known knowns. There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we now know we don't know."​

Just have to wait and see. Historically on the S and X when they were new (and sometimes ongoing) have been common top issues with:

1. build gaps in panels, uneven, etc.
2. seals/rubber items, etc. in general leaks, tearing, etc.
3. drive motors (seems to be much more reliable now though if same ones)
4. paint issues, chips, extra paint, etc.

Reactions: ABCCBA
Electric cars use to be more popular than gas cars. Then it flipped and production efficiency took place to make the gas cars more affordable, reliable, and quality of build details. This will be little things that will go away very fast as the facilities ramp up and production becomes more streamlined.

I think you get the same answer as with the Model S and Model X - there will be some things and Tesla service will be all over it to make it right.

I think its important to note, based on the reveal, I did not any new, never-been-done-before tech (big display, glass roof, etc have all been vetted on prior models) so I think that greatly lowers the risks of problems--perhaps the "part 2" reveal will change that. Beyond that, I would expect most of the early gremlins will be caught thought Tesla/SpaceX employees and then existing owners, so by them time cars are in the hands of first time owners, most if not all of the kinks should be worked out.

12 volt batteries that only last 12 months.
Vampire drains that preclude parking the car at the airport for 3 weeks.

My current auto mechanic says that the 12 volt battery in recent Mercedes only last about a week with the car parked, so I think Vampire drain is just as bad, if not worse in some current ICEs.

And some airports, and I'm sure even more will, have added a number of Level 1 stations. Perfect for keeping the Vampire at bay and topping your car up while you are away for weeks. And I suspect they will add more as demand increases.

For example Portland added 42 Level 1 stations. (Though 18 of those are in the employee lot.) I think they have 6 Level 2 stations as well, but two of them are reserved for Valets to use to keep cars charged.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
I foresee a number of issues with fit-and-finish, seal leaks, odd noises, and teething problems with the new systems.
This should not be a surprise. Every new model from every manufacturer have these problems.

But specifically for the Model 3, there are the Tesla-esque components to consider.
This will be a new battery pack, which (hopefully) will be a non-issue. While the batteries themselves will be slightly different, their battery monitoring and charging systems are (probably) directly applicable to the new batteries.

The new (and only hinted at) "driver interface" will probably have issues with the steering wheel / joystick, and the HUD may make people dizzy or give them headaches.

As for the rest, I think it will be mighty entertaining as a number of new Model 3 owners will be coming from more varied walks of life, and some of them will *really* push the envelope of "tolerance to abuse" upon their brand-new cars, making themselves candidates for the next Farmer's Insurance television commercial of "Now We've Seen Everything."

-- Ardie
"You're not going to believe this ..."

• Funny
Reactions: navguy12