Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What motor does your 2023 Model Y have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is a Fremont build 2023 MYP with 4D1 motor that I picked up 12/12/22 and my VIN is 7SAYDGEF0PF615XXX

Okay based on this very small sampling so far it seems like the MYPs are now coming with the new 4D1s which probably explains why the MYLRs from Fremonts are coming with the 980/3D1s that used to go into the MYPs. They probably had left overs.

The Austin EF vins have the 4D1, the only question now is what motor the Austin EE cars are getting.

Also remains the question if there is any actual change in performance with the 980/3D1 LRs vs the 990/3D5 LRs and any difference between the 4D1 LRs and the 980/3D1 LRs and between the 4D1 MYPs vs the 980/3D1 MYPs.

Do you happen to know the first three digits on your 4D1 placard? I'm curious if your Fremont built MYP had the motor built in Fremont or Austin. If it starts with GTX, that means Giga Texas.
My compliments on the acrobatics to get that good of a pic…I can’t seem to get one in focus, got any pointers? I can clearly see the 4D1 at the bottom but can‘t make out the top line. I may have to remove the wheel which I won’t be able to do til a bit later in the day.

My compliments on the acrobatics to get that good of a pic…I can’t seem to get one in focus, got any pointers? I can clearly see the 4D1 at the bottom but can‘t make out the top line. I may have to remove the wheel which I won’t be able to do til a bit later in the day.
I first tried to snap the photo using one hand, but it was virtually impossible. I then figured out it was best to set a 10 second timer delay on the photo with flash on. I started the timer, then laid down behind the back left wheel and inserted the phone up and in between the two two bars, trying to aim towards where the boot meets the motor. Honestly, I'm not an auto mechanic and can't confirm the parts, but I think I may be placing the phone between the axle and sway bar. If you have the 4D1 motor, it's best to start at the rear of the back left tire, the 980/990 motor's placard is in a different location and easier to find starting from the forward side of the rear-left tire.

Last edited:
Don’t worry, you made the right call: the P is a fantastic machine.
I've driven both the MYLR and MYP. I feel that if you want or need the performance, the 4k upgrade is worth the costs for the extra equipment. However, unlike before, I don't feel it's worth a 10k premium. Also, even with the "Comfort Suspension", the 21" wheels make the ride noticeably more bumpy on the highway. The lowered suspension, made it feel much less like an SUV where I thought I could hit an obstacle going on gentle off-road paths. Just something to think about.

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
I first tried to snap the photo using one hand, but it was virtually impossible. I then figured out it was best to set a 10 second timer delay on the photo with flash on. I started the timer, then laid down behind the back left wheel and inserted the phone up and in between the two two bars, trying to aim towards where the boot meets the motor. Honestly, I'm not an auto mechanic and can't confirm the parts, but I think I may be placing the phone between the axle and sway bar. If you have the 4D1 motor, it's best to start at the rear of the back left tire, the 980/990 motor's placard is in a different location and easier to find starting from the forward side of the rear-left tire.
8070BE25-EFD0-480C-9DB7-FF083A2F3958.jpeg

This is the best I can do without removing the wheel. No surprised I couldn’t read the top line at distance with the winter road grime on it, but looks like “GTX22323” so as you surmise it’s GigaTexas? This is getting interesting!

This is the best I can do without removing the wheel. Not surprised I couldn’t read the top line at distance with the winter road grime on it, but looks like “GTX22323” so as you surmise it’s GigaTexas? This is getting interesting!
Yes, GTX = GigaTexas, 22 = 2022 and 323 = the date is was manufactured. The 323rd day is November 19th. This confirms your Fremont build MY Performance is using a 4D1 built in Austin, so far it is the earliest known 4D1 - manufactured on 11/19/2022.

Reactions: EVRob78 and Jblache
Interesting for sure! Now the question is if this is an upgrade in performance, efficiency, or both?
Maybe we can pursue you to buy Scan My Tesla gear and you do some measuring for us on the unrestricted Model Y Performance? Model Y Long Range as a test basis would be a bit pointless due to the lower Amp limits.

Okay based on this very small sampling so far it seems like the MYPs are now coming with the new 4D1s which probably explains why the MYLRs from Fremonts are coming with the 980/3D1s that used to go into the MYPs. They probably had left overs.

The Austin EF vins have the 4D1, the only question now is what motor the Austin EE cars are getting.

Also remains the question if there is any actual change in performance with the 980/3D1 LRs vs the 990/3D5 LRs and any difference between the 4D1 LRs and the 980/3D1 LRs and between the 4D1 MYPs vs the 980/3D1 MYPs.
Interesting thread.
I remember this same line of questions, when the 980’s were in every model 3, and switched to 990’s for the model 3 LR models only.
The performance is mainly geared by software. The motors just need to handle what ever the software dictates.
I would really be interested to see a tear down between the 980, 990, 3D1, 4D1 though. :)
Love to know what changed.

Just before this creates any more confusion. The following motors are identical. People just call them differently!
  • 3D3 / 960 - Front Motor in all Dual Motor Model 3/Y
  • 3D1 / 980 - Rear Motor with 800A limit and wire windings (also front motor in Raven MS/MX and rear motor in Refresh MS/MX)
  • 3D5 / 990 - Rear Motor with 600A limit and wire windings
  • 3D6 / 740 - Rear Motor with 800A limit and hairpin windings
  • 3D7 / 780 - Rear Motor with 600A limit and hairpin windings
  • 4D1 / ### - Rear Motor with ???A limit and hairpin windings
  • 4D5 / ### - Rear Motor with ???A limit and hairpin windings
In Europe we always called these motors by their "lower" codes and since even Tesla stopped using the numbers, I would suggest sticking to the "Number-Letter-Number" Code ;-)

Just before this creates any more confusion. The following motors are identical. People just call them differently!
  • 3D3 / 960 - Front Motor in all Dual Motor Model 3/Y
  • 3D1 / 980 - Rear Motor with 800A limit and wire windings (also front motor in Raven MS/MX and rear motor in Refresh MS/MX)
  • 3D5 / 990 - Rear Motor with 600A limit and wire windings
  • 3D6 / 740 - Rear Motor with 800A limit and hairpin windings
  • 3D7 / 780 - Rear Motor with 600A limit and hairpin windings
  • 4D1 / ### - Rear Motor with ???A limit and hairpin windings
  • 4D5 / ### - Rear Motor with ???A limit and hairpin windings
In Europe we always called these motors by their "lower" codes and since even Tesla stopped using the numbers, I would suggest sticking to the "Number-Letter-Number" Code ;-)

Thanks for the clarification. 👍🏻