Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What motor does your 2023 Model Y have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct me if in wrong but isn't the 4D1 the updated 3D1? Meaning they're both performance motors and likely to perform the same?
Not an assumption I would make.

It’s a new model number, so the questions is why? I mean, if nothing changed, then there’d be no reason to change the model number.

Does it perform the same with different materials? Does it perform better with more power output? Maybe it’s more efficient?

Based on other posts and googling around, the consensus is that it uses hairpin copper inserts, instead of wire windings. There’s a possibility it uses less rare earth elements.

Edit: just remembered someone opened one and confirmed it later. So yeah uses hairpin.

What does it do to performance/efficiency?

Tesla hasn’t officially (or even unofficially?) said anything about the “4d1” motor specifically. Cory (from “Munro Live”) saw something during investor’s day that could be the 4d1. There were also slides and a presentation that day and they mention “current” motor using less rare earth elements, but it may or may not be the 4d1.

Last edited:
Reactions: 455dan
Not an assumption I would make.

It’s a new model number, so the questions is why? I mean, if nothing changed, then there’d be no reason to change the model number.

Does it perform the same with different materials? Does it perform better with more power output? Maybe it’s more efficient?

Based on other posts and googling around, the consensus is that it uses hairpin copper inserts, instead of wire windings. There’s a possibility it uses less rare earth elements. What does it do to performance/efficiency?

Tesla hasn’t officially (or even unofficially?) said anything about the “4d1” motor specifically. Cory (from “Munro Live”) saw something during investor’s day that could be the 4d1. There were also slides and a presentation that day and they mention “current” motor using less rare earth elements, but it may or may not be the 4d1.
I guess so but wouldn't the performance parameters be updated on the website? My guess is this is a cheaper motor to manufacturer due to less rare earth metals and the hair pins while providing similar performance. Probably use software to match them to each other to minimize differences as the primary concern is probably cost reduction rather than improvements for customers

I guess so but wouldn't the performance parameters be updated on the website? My guess is this is a cheaper motor to manufacturer due to less rare earth metals and the hair pins while providing similar performance. Probably use software to match them to each other to minimize differences as the primary concern is probably cost reduction rather than improvements for customers
As for performance parameters… consider they use 3d1s/4d1s in the long range, while only listing the one spec for it.

As for your guess, I agree it can be for those reasons, but at the end of the day, it’s our guess.

So are all Austin Builds coming with 4D1? Or are we still unsure since we can't confirm with the 8th digit anymore?

My wish list for my future MYAWD
- Matrix Headlights
- 4D1 Motor for efficiency
- Fresh baby unicorn horn in the center console

One of those is a definite guarantee...

Could someone kindly summarize the different motors (point of main discussion on this thread I believe). Is it ONLY 3D1 (Fremont) vs 4D1 (Austin MY LR) ? I see some other numbers also mentioned in reference to motors so kind of lost there. There’s also 3D5, hairpin (same as 3D1)?!

I guess if I had to narrow it down I’m more interested in LR (non performance models/motors) factory version.

Is 4D1 better? (subjective, but I believe not all that common to establish yet?)

Majority of non performance Tesla being sold today in US would be 3D1 (and esp 7 seaters)?

Thanks to all the wonderful comments/discussion to even be aware of these things!

Could someone kindly summarize the different motors (point of main discussion on this thread I believe). Is it ONLY 3D1 (Fremont) vs 4D1 (Austin MY LR) ? I see some other numbers also mentioned in reference to motors so kind of lost there. There’s also 3D5, hairpin (same as 3D1)?!

I guess if I had to narrow it down I’m more interested in LR (non performance models/motors) factory version.

Is 4D1 better? (subjective, but I believe not all that common to establish yet?)

Majority of non performance Tesla being sold today in US would be 3D1 (and esp 7 seaters)?

Thanks to all the wonderful comments/discussion to even be aware of these things!
3D1 is the old performance motor. The new performance motor is 4D1. As to the actual advantages of each for a customer? Who knows. Seems to me like Tesla software limits both motors either way and the advantage is for Tesla itself since 4D1 is a cheaper motor to produce due to less rare earth metals and hairpin stators.

This is all speculation. Whether you get 3D1 or 4D1 your car will perform similarly if it's a LR / LR or MYP / MYP. Obviously the LR /MYP can't be compared to each other because of said software limits.

I have a 3D1 motor in my MYLR and I can definitely tell the initial acceleration is limited by the car. Once it gets going the kick is harder from 5-30 mph than it is from 0-30 mph. When my car is out of warranty I might buy the 👻 for it but honestly the times I use the full acceleration are very limited as I find it more fun to stretch my range and push the limits that way. Hypermiling a Tesla is interesting to me still. I think eventually I won't care as much just like what happened with my Kia Niro. I didn't care to maximize each tank after about 2-3 years of ownership

Reactions: AJ..
Just curious if there is anything useful that can be inferred looking at VIN aside from Austin/Fremont build (10th or 11th character as A or F) - prospective owner with VIN assigned
7SAYGAEE4PF7xxxxx

Has anyone done any acceleration or efficiency testing of the 4d1 equipped cars as compared to 990/3d1? Any difference or is it software limited to perform the same as the older motor?
I think something was lost in translation.

3D1 is the Old higher performance motor also known as a 980 and has a higher amp input rating

The 990 is not a performance motor and Not Ghostable AFAIK

This 4D1 is interesting in that it could replace all of the rear motors result in one part number for US sold models and just be a locked software choice when and order is created jmo and a guess.
I paid the extra money for a Performance and bought before this last big price drop.

Hoping my 980 is as good ( Quick) as a LR or AWD equipped with a 4D1 or 980 that is Ghosted...

Not really complaining ...
Got a Great Build- nice gaps, Perfect Pearl white paint and No orange peel. No leaks Rattles or interior issues and broke under 250 W/Hours on the last 200 mile hiway road trip with the A/C running. Plus got in a short stop light sprint race against a fairly new Vette on the way back at around 50% of original charge and well the Vette lost.

what an Absolutely Amazing Car. :)

Last edited: