Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What New Owners need to Know - UK FAQ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would say tuck your left foot under the seat until you feel comfortable driving. Stops you from slamming your left down in a panic

That's something I would never advise. I've seen a situation where driver got cramp in the tucked foot, couldn't move it and really panicked before finally pulling over and using hands to pull leg out.
I have the MS EAP.. it really is quite intuitive to drive (normal driving) and smooth enough that phantom gear changes (phantom clutch) won't be needed compared to a new ICE automatic driver responding to engine notes and trying to make a gear change before the automatic box does it for them.
The bigger issue with Teslas is new folk playing with self-steer or NOA and not being prepared for some bizarre behaviours.

Really appreciate you taking the time to answer Kristen.

The two issues I am having is personally, I'm doubting the decision to buy (cos we expect it to last 13+ years) and second, I recommended this to my wife and I know I'm going to get grief when its all different - I got the same telling her to go DSG from a manual and 12+ years later, she ended up not wanting to go back to manual. It just takes time to get use to these things, I'm just concerned how much time. She hates me pointing out that she is exceeding the speed limit, or wandering too close to the kerb, so this is going to be a baptism of fire, even though I keep telling here that all new vehicles will be like it in a few years so its not going to be an option.

I think I can handle pretty much everything Tesla can throw at me with enough warning, except not knowing if the car is going to be still a functional car in 13 years time. Paint issues, obsolete electronic issues, Tesla not supporting critical functions or preventing third party fixes even if they cannot support it themselves or even Tesla themselves going under or being bought out. The same can be said of many cars, so not just Tesla. And no, before anyone interjects, I don't to car finance and/or short term ownership. All the while Tesla keep calling it a car, I expect ownership expectations to remain the same as any other car that I have owned.

Longevity of a car is an interesting question and I don't think in the UK there is a specific legal requiremment to keep spares afer production although some countries do have such rules and most manufacturers supply for a period after production ceased.

I went through some angst with my MS when i realised just how bad the depreciation is as an absolute sum albeit arguably not so bad as a percentage.

The other problem is that rightly folk refer to these as computers on wheels and modern computers die or become obsolete in only a few years.

I bought mine 'cos I wanted to experience and play with the technology and because I'm knocking on in years and the time may come (hopefully a distant future) when infirmity causes me to be an unsafe driver - it happened to my dad with early signs of dementia. From that viewpoint I'm quite disappointed at the level of self-drive as is and frankly i don't see truly autonomous vehicles functioning without more sensors and way more computing power (probably a discussion for another thread). Elon's claim for autonomous taxis with current hardware might just work in limited geo-fenced regions and slow speed but these cars can't cope with hump-back bridges, driving towards low evening sun, sudden tight bends and don't look (compute) far enough ahead or behind.

Picking up on one of your points: USB sticks fail for various reasons, but if it's being written to frequently then it's likely because the NAND has already worn out - I had one die after only 6 months of frequent writes.

The cheaper the USB stick, the cheaper the NAND will be, and the fewer write cycles will be available. Once the NAND has used up all its write cycles it will become read-only, so you'll still be able to get whatever's on it back off at least.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Does hill hold take itself off after a period of time?

Just for the record, pre-AP cars only do hill-hold for a few seconds (this was an OTA upgrade, not an original design feature; they are apparently using the link to the braking system provided for traction control). However, AP cars have (effectively) direct control of the footbrake needed for self-driving functions and so hill-hold is now just part of that and unlimited in duration.

In practice, the difference is really only one of convenience: with the pre-AP car you keep your foot on the footbrake and the hill-hold covers you for the period while your foot is in transition from footbrake to accelerator; with newer cars you can take your foot off and wave it around (though personally I probably wouldn't).

Do you recon you can hold it on a hill on the accelerator?

You can, though it's much harder to do than just relying in the hill hold.

I'm just not imagining how a pedal that acts as both accelerator and brake will work in stop-start on a hill. And its something that we are going to have to suss pdq around here, cos getting it wrong will get expensive.

The accelerator pedal doesn't in effect act as a brake at the sort of speeds we are talking about here. Regen is ineffective below about 5mph.

If you were coming from a manual handbrake, then I'd say there's a moderate learning curve; converting from another implementation of hill-hold should be easy.

My first experience of no handbrake/hill-hold was a complete nightmare - on a rented Renault in Portugal, where nobody told me you were meant to just drive away with the handbrake "on", and the car's base model engine only barely had enough power to start away on a hill in the first place (with 7 people on board). And then my brother (who was supposed to be driving but had forgotten his licence!) navigated us across a "short cut" of super steep hills where you had to stop to let past anybody coming the other way...

Having been scarred by the memories of that trip (and spending intervening years driving manual with ordinary handbrake), I was somewhat concerned about the lack of handbrake on the Tesla. In practice, it was easy to get used to - the almost unlimited power of the Tesla makes it a world away from that poxy Renault.

Thanks. Just to clarify:

That is (as you said) "written to frequently" and not "re-written / overwritten to frequently" ?

So not related to filling up the USB and then clearing it and writing to it again?

And thus buffering / fewer large-block writes better than many-small block writes ?

No, all NAND devices (SD cards, "USB sticks", SSD drives) have controller chips (of varying quality) that manage which gates get written to. Stuff is never destroyed, only marked as empty to reduce and even out the wear on the entire "disk" (its lots of transistors of course)

Here is an example of a controller What Controller do we use in our USB Flash Drives?

You can read this article about SSDs if you got the time, page 4 talks all about why NAND dies.

Solid-state revolution: in-depth on how SSDs really work

The short of it is the resistance of the NAND cell becomes too high to flip it and it becomes read only. With a "USB stick" the cell quality is usually really low, so that happens sooner, especially with a lot of writing.

Some USB sticks cant cope with read only sectors and need re-formatting to save. However once cells start dying there is a good chance they are all worn out and you are better off getting something new.

I personally got an SSD + enclosure for my future Tesla:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0765D6NJV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078WYS5K6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Formatted to FAT32 using a 3rd party app

The result is not much bigger than your thumb drive - 240gb for £41

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2skqjSh78om6rvMQ8

For the cameras and all my music.

Same type of tyres on the MS.. I had a puncture and local village garage fixed it for me.. "No problem," he said, "Similar foam filled tyres on land Rovers." It was more a case of explaining to him re the software settings for jacking suspension, the jacking points and torque settings. Since friendly local place i got to have a look underneath while it was on the hoist.
Better yet they did the tyre for free.

Do you know what level? Basic AA is around £35/year iirc but by the time you added useful things on, like homestart (breakdown within short distance of home) and relay (take you to destination/home or garage if they can’t fix) it soon adds up.

As AA is typically done on the person not the car, if there is a second car that is often used, same level of cover will probably be required.

But having a breakdown on a Tesla AA policy rather than personal one may help premiums from going up each year in event of a callout. AA is one of my major opponents each year at renewal time. The hugely inflate renewal, I call to tell them to do better, there is then usually a couple of weeks standoff, and AA then usually come up with some deal that is acceptable. Our AA membership is usually covered by savings in their benefits section although some outlets are beginning to get a bit stingy and restricting their periods of acceptance.

Last edited:
There’s 4 years of roadside assistance, provided by the AA

Are you sure about this? My understanding was that it is Tesla in-house. Certainly the number you call for roadside assistance connects you to Tesla's call centre in the Netherlands, and while they are very helpful on some things, the level of cover for others (such as flat tyres) falls short of what AA membership would give you.

Of course, being Tesla, the rules change from day to day and it's possible my experience is out of date.

Reactions: .jg.
You do need to know as many years ago there was a guy who was driving an automatic in bath for the first time and panicked slamming his foot on the accelerator pedal and killing 2 people.

I would say tuck your left foot under the seat until you feel comfortable driving. Stops you from slamming your left down in a panic
I've never heard anything so ridiculous! There is no accounting for pure stupidity. If this is true it most certainly doesn't mean it has a place in a guide for EV vehicles. Just in a guide for incredibly stupid idiots!

Besides, if this was a problem, there would be way more examples and the UK law wouldn't state that anyone who passes their driving test in a manual transmission car can drive an automatic car without any further lessons or tests.

I've heard from a friend who has both a model X and a model S that I won't need RAC cover for my new M3 when it comes as I should be covered by Tesla's own brand of breakdown cover. Does anyone know if this is the case?
Tesla provides "Roadside": covers Europe wide but it does have some limitations, so many owners choose to have AA, RAC or similar in addition. Tesla Roadside know all about Tesla cars, which was not the case with AA, RAC, etc, in the early days.

Just for the record, pre-AP cars only do hill-hold for a few seconds (this was an OTA upgrade, not an original design feature; they are apparently using the link to the braking system provided for traction control). However, AP cars have (effectively) direct control of the footbrake needed for self-driving functions and so hill-hold is now just part of that and unlimited in duration.

In practice, the difference is really only one of convenience: with the pre-AP car you keep your foot on the footbrake and the hill-hold covers you for the period while your foot is in transition from footbrake to accelerator; with newer cars you can take your foot off and wave it around (though personally I probably wouldn't).

You can, though it's much harder to do than just relying in the hill hold.

The accelerator pedal doesn't in effect act as a brake at the sort of speeds we are talking about here. Regen is ineffective below about 5mph.

If you were coming from a manual handbrake, then I'd say there's a moderate learning curve; converting from another implementation of hill-hold should be easy.

My first experience of no handbrake/hill-hold was a complete nightmare - on a rented Renault in Portugal, where nobody told me you were meant to just drive away with the handbrake "on", and the car's base model engine only barely had enough power to start away on a hill in the first place (with 7 people on board). And then my brother (who was supposed to be driving but had forgotten his licence!) navigated us across a "short cut" of super steep hills where you had to stop to let past anybody coming the other way...

Having been scarred by the memories of that trip (and spending intervening years driving manual with ordinary handbrake), I was somewhat concerned about the lack of handbrake on the Tesla. In practice, it was easy to get used to - the almost unlimited power of the Tesla makes it a world away from that poxy Renault.
Hill holder works very well. It disengages when you step on the brake again or if you step on the accelerator. If you let the car come to a stop without using the brake on an uphill, the car will begin to roll backwards (gravity). The "parking brake" is automatically applied when the car us placed in park, and automatically disengages when put in either drive or reverse. As soon as you get in and depress the brake, the car is on (still in park, but on). When put in park and you get out of the car, it automatically turns off (that took a little getting used to). The turn stalk always returns to to neutral position, which also took a little getting used to. Pushing down lightly causes 3 blinks, pushing all the way down and releasing causes the turn indicator to blink until a turn is made. Both trunks take a strong push to close (especially the "frunk"). Everyone must be told how to open the doors the 1st time they do it. From the outside, push the square portion of the handle and pull the lever as it protrudes. From the inside, push the button then push the door. If you don't tell them to push the button, they will invariably use the mechanical release (which Tesla says not to do often because it could damage something). Kerp in mind that the windows open slightly when opening the doors. On a few occasions my windows didn't close afterwards, so look at the windows after you close the doors. Tire pressure is the highest I've ever seen in a passenger vehicle (46psi). Great car, enjoy it. I have for a year now. Best car I've ever driven.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
The "parking brake" is automatically applied when the car us placed in park, and automatically disengages when put in either drive or reverse.

Really? On my 2017 MS and 2019 MX you hold the Park button down for 3 secs and that engages the parking brake and the symbol appears on the dash, your hear it engage.

Not sure on a M3, but I'm pretty convinced about the MS and MX. I do it everyday when I park up.

Strangley though the manual says the following, which agrees with you, doesn't seem to match up to hearing the brake apply when holding down the park button though...

Parking Brake The parking brake automatically engages when you shift Model X into Park, and releases when you shift into any other gear. Note: The parking brake operates on the rear wheels only, and is independent of the pedal operated brake system.

When you use the touchscreen to manually apply the parking brake, the red parking brake indicator lights up on the instrument panel .

Really? On my 2017 MS and 2019 MX you hold the Park button down for 3 secs and that engages the parking brake and the symbol appears on the dash, your hear it engage.

Not sure on a M3, but I'm pretty convinced about the MS and MX. I do it everyday when I park up.

Strangley though the manual says the following, which agrees with you, doesn't seem to match up to hearing the brake apply when holding down the park button though...

Parking Brake The parking brake automatically engages when you shift Model X into Park, and releases when you shift into any other gear. Note: The parking brake operates on the rear wheels only, and is independent of the pedal operated brake system.

When you use the touchscreen to manually apply the parking brake, the red parking brake indicator lights up on the instrument panel .
What happens if you engage "P" on an incline without doing this?