Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone interested in the psychedelics space (see Compass Pathways - up 130% since IPO in September), a company called Field Trip (ticker FTRP) will begin trading tomorrow in Canada. I know one of the founders - very smart guy who was a key person at Ashley Madison when it was becoming popular, and also did very well with Aurora Cannabis. Full disclosure - I do have a position in this company but wanted to share as I think it will do quite well in this growing field.

Field Trip Health | Psychedelic Therapies That Bring You to Life
Psilocybin might be a godsend for people with chronic depression, but I have a hard time seeing how they will become a lucrative business. Too small percent of the population who are seekers and even those seldom consume more than a few grams per year and for the clinical amounts we are talking $10 on the black market to cure a patient suffering of depression for decades and who was resistant to all other forms of antidepressants and therapy.

The largest problem is that academia and science is not ready handle this new category of medicines. How do you even design a RCT for Psilocybin when the set and setting are so important and it is pretty damned obvious if you got the active substance or not. For a discussion around this, Michael Pollan’s book was great:
https://www.amazon.com/Change-Your-Mind-Consciousness-Transcendence/dp/1594204225

If they could figure out a way to write a primary homeowners policy for my home in the SoCal mountains, I'd be inclined to invest! Alas, this is what Lemonade tells me:

What bothers me is that, rather than quoting a very high premium based on a data-driven risk assessment (underwriting process), insurers generally throw up their hands and refuse to quote. At least one quarter of California homes are considered to be in the "wildland urban interface". As bad as the fires have been, the vast majority of those homes are still standing. The recent, large fire in our particular mountain range burned something like five homes total, thanks to the firefighters.

Fair or not, that's my litmus test for investing in any insurance company. I don't care how slick or trendy an insurer's website may happen to be if they aren't helping to solve the number one problem in our state's insurance market. Telling a large fraction of homeowners to use the public "CA FAIR Plan" is not a real solution. My guess is that, if you live in an area prone to some other type of disasters such as hurricanes, you may be running into similar issues.

As for Lemonade's other products, renter's insurance and pet insurance, those kinds of policies are generally easy to buy anyway. So I'm not sure I see the big deal.
In keeping with Full Disclosure, I do not have any direct stake in this matter. I certainly do sympathize with you and empathize with your frustration - and the only way to keep this On Topic is to couch all this in an overall attempt to glean some and provide some understanding of the underwriting business. So here goes:

You write - "rather than quoting a very high premium based on a data-driven risk assessment (underwriting process), insurers generally throw up their hands and refuse to quote".

At least a part of an answer as to why that frustrating situation exists might be in something you had written a paragraph earlier: "===>If<=== they could figure out a way to write a primary homeowners policy for my home in the SoCal mountains..."

Whether the following is the case or not I do not know but I easily can see a situation where it is: The underwriter do not because they cannot reliably determine their actuarial risks. They are in terra incognita here and, absent some guidelines or directives from the state's Insurance Commission - who themselves also may not be better able to weigh the consequences - it is in their fiduciary duty not to write a policy at all.

Now, looking at it another, more brutal way - tough, because it directly and severely can affect you and that other one-quarter of CA homeowners you mention (and I am ignorant of the CA FAIR Plan but that matters not to my argument) - is that, ecologically, dissuading (if you like, dissuading with extreme prejudice) a party from building, buying, owning or keeping a domicile in that particular ecosystem is, in the long run, good for that party, for the local and state economy, and for that portion of the environment. To my way of seeing things, it is no different from dissuading (forbidding) anyone from constructing along most seashores or floodplains. That should not be done. We know this....but collectively as a society we are the frogs in a slowly warming pot. Unlike frogs, we know how it turns out.

• Helpful
Reactions: dc_h
For those interested in Space, Momentus is going public at $1B+ valuation through SPAC. I know a number of folks that work there (the space industry is pretty small...); they're pretty solid as far as vision/technology go. No idea on the validity of the commercial side/valuation other than $1B is a big number for a company that would sell products on the order of millions to maybe tens of millions of dollars each.

It's true that it may not be possible for insurance underwriters to reliably determine the potential actuarial risks associated with Western properties in wildland-urban interface areas. However, I would argue that it should, at the very least, be possible to set a reasonable upper bound on those risks. The consequence would be extremely high premium quotations. I would have greater respect for an insurance company that at least makes an attempt at quotation, even if the price is unsatisfactory.

Alternatively, Lemonade (or other insurers) could, out of the gate, offer to write a "wrapper" policy (formally called a "difference in conditions" policy) to cover liability and other non-fire risks, while simultaneously doing the paperwork for a CA FAIR Plan policy to cover fire. This approach has become the norm for a great many California homes, but it requires extra phone calls and check writing. If Lemonade were to automate and simplify this process, they'd be ahead of virtually all other insurers here.

You also suggest, and this is where we depart from the specific topic of discussing Lemonade as a potential investment, that living in wildfire-prone environments is a bad idea. While there are certainly risks, I would argue that this is not really comparable with living along seashores or in floodplains. Even in a best-case climate scenario, there's very little that can be done, economically, to prevent the waters from rising. Fire, on the other hand, is preventable in most cases, at least in Southern California. Nearly all dangerous wildfires in SoCal are sparked by humans. (I won't comment on areas outside SoCal because I'm less familiar with the fire patterns further from where I live.) Further, there are obvious actions we can reasonably take to substantially reduce risk, such as building/retrofitting with fire resistant materials, maintaining defensible space, improving land management, and better maintaining our grid infrastructure. Also, by the way, in our particular mountain environment, with the warming of the last decade, the average severity of the seasonal, dangerous "Santa Ana" winds from the desert appears to be lessening (I hope I'm not speaking too soon).

It's worth pointing out that, in preventing fires, one major help will be ending the use of combustion for energy. Countless fires have been started, near us, by fuel-powered vehicles, whether by car fires or by people parking atop dry grass. Chimney fires, gasoline-powered chainsaws, barbecues, etc. are other examples of combustion sources of wildfires. Of course, this ties in with Tesla as an investment! You'll be able to drive a Cybertruck that powers your electric tools and enables portable, inductive cooking. At home, you can run a super-efficient heat pump today, powered by solar and backed up by Powerwalls, that eliminates the need to pollute the neighborhood with wood smoke.

In keeping with Full Disclosure, I do not have any direct stake in this matter. I certainly do sympathize with you and empathize with your frustration - and the only way to keep this On Topic is to couch all this in an overall attempt to glean some and provide some understanding of the underwriting business. So here goes:

You write - "rather than quoting a very high premium based on a data-driven risk assessment (underwriting process), insurers generally throw up their hands and refuse to quote".

At least a part of an answer as to why that frustrating situation exists might be in something you had written a paragraph earlier: "===>If<=== they could figure out a way to write a primary homeowners policy for my home in the SoCal mountains..."

Whether the following is the case or not I do not know but I easily can see a situation where it is: The underwriter do not because they cannot reliably determine their actuarial risks. They are in terra incognita here and, absent some guidelines or directives from the state's Insurance Commission - who themselves also may not be better able to weigh the consequences - it is in their fiduciary duty not to write a policy at all.

Now, looking at it another, more brutal way - tough, because it directly and severely can affect you and that other one-quarter of CA homeowners you mention (and I am ignorant of the CA FAIR Plan but that matters not to my argument) - is that, ecologically, dissuading (if you like, dissuading with extreme prejudice) a party from building, buying, owning or keeping a domicile in that particular ecosystem is, in the long run, good for that party, for the local and state economy, and for that portion of the environment. To my way of seeing things, it is no different from dissuading (forbidding) anyone from constructing along most seashores or floodplains. That should not be done. We know this....but collectively as a society we are the frogs in a slowly warming pot. Unlike frogs, we know how it turns out.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Here's an interesting IPO for you guys. Will list soon. ARRAY TECHNOLOGIES, INC. | IPOScoop

They make solar panel ground mount tracker systems. Basically, if you have a large commercial system, you can boost your field's output by having a small motor that changes the angle of the panels to match the sun. Obviously commercial solar operators agree since they are currently running around $1B in sales. Huge year on year growth, especially for a hardware company!

Here's an interesting IPO for you guys. Will list soon. ARRAY TECHNOLOGIES, INC. | IPOScoop

They make solar panel ground mount tracker systems. Basically, if you have a large commercial system, you can boost your field's output by having a small motor that changes the angle of the panels to match the sun. Obviously commercial solar operators agree since they are currently running around $1B in sales. Huge year on year growth, especially for a hardware company!
ARRY currently shows up as array biopharma on nasdaq. Is this correct?

ARRY currently shows up as array biopharma on nasdaq. Is this correct?

No. Maybe there was a defunct listing that used to use ARRY as a symbol. Array Tech. hasn't gone effective yet, so that symbol will have garbage info about it on different platforms.

This is the company that is going public. Currently names ATI, will get renamed to Array once it goes public.

EDGAR Search Results

No. Maybe there was a defunct listing that used to use ARRY as a symbol. Array Tech. hasn't gone effective yet, so that symbol will have garbage info about it on different platforms.

This is the company that is going public. Currently names ATI, will get renamed to Array once it goes public.

EDGAR Search Results
Ya you are right. Last trade for arry was july 2019.

Nothing new or exponential about that

PLL appears to be a hard to short stock, as E*Trade is paying me 75% to loan my shares out, which means the actual borrow fee to the shorts is closer to 150%.

Last reported short interest, on 9/30, was 384,212 shares, out of ~11.5M shares. (Or only 3%.) Short interest on 9/15 was only 8,211 shares.

I wonder do the shorts really think that PLL is overvalued, or are they just trying to hurt PLL because of Tesla's involvement?

Sigh. So I looked into these stocks a bit more. I think we are seeing knock on effects from Tesla, frankly.

FUV - Arcimoto, based in Oregon. I just don't see it. There has never been a successful 3 wheel vehicle segment, let alone company. They have some nice marketing videos on their website, but they obviously haven't figured out the market either since they show multiple uses. Delivery: How much can you deliver in such a small vehicle? "Fun Utility Vehicle": They're reaching! How much fun is it going slowly down a road with no doors? You've got a guy in a suit driving one of these things - how does that work in the rain? Then they show someone getting groceries - looks like two bags will fit. Lost $15M last year on $1M in sales, ended the year with $6M in the bank.

AYRO - Has two vehicles, a 3 wheeler, and a very light duty delivery "van". They use lead acid batteries - these are effectively an outgrowth of standard golf cart technology. Might as well buy Club Car or something like that. Also undercapitalized, announced a direct offering today which is why stock price jumped 63%. Only raising $15M. $83M market cap even with the price jump. Do these guys have any Intellectual Property at all? Or even a half decent product?

SOLO - AAAAHHHH! Another three wheeled car! Funny, FUV started with no doors, AYRO had doors, optional, and SOLO now looks like a fully finished car ... yet only has three wheels. Sigh. At least these guys are using lithium ion batteries. No real revenues yet, can pre-order car, has $6M in bank. And yet sports a $324M market cap after today's 64% rise. No idea why.

NIU - Finally, a real company! Sells Vespa-like EV scooters. Tons of sales, products that people want, great price point! But ... they are a Chinese company. You'd have to do some serious due diligence investing in any Chinese public company since their audit and listing standards aren't anywhere near that of the US. But if you want to gamble that they won't succumb to cooking their books, then looks good. They sell primarily in China, a little bit in Europe. Lots of opportunity, presumably, in the US.

Someone else mentioned NIO. Another real company (sells actual EVs), another Chinese company. Again, if you can get over them being a Chinese listed company, could be good.

So let's see how I did. Since July 6 when I posted this, FUV, AYRO and SOLO have all gone down (some by a lot), as I thought they would. Meanwhile NIU shot up after their latest quarterly report, again like I thought they might. I debated buying NIU. I liked them, but just couldn't get over them being a Chinese company (geopolitical risk and looser accounting/fraud/audit risk). But for those that did, congrats.

Unfortunately, the one small cap electric vehicle manufacturer I did buy, GP, hasn't done well at all. They should report earnings in about 20 days or so. I'm hanging on for dear life until then :)

• Informative
Reactions: RabidYak and redan
more on palantir

Palantir Apollo: Powering SaaS where no SaaS has gone before

still not getting a clear understanding of their products and roadmap. governance and ethics aside (i know/have read even less about those), what is their edge, of any, over competition?
who is their competition?

do we see this back at $7-8 before going to 15-20 eventually? (2-3 years) or is their current high valuation (according to palantir themselves) too large to catch up to in that timeframe?

more on palantir

Palantir Apollo: Powering SaaS where no SaaS has gone before

still not getting a clear understanding of their products and roadmap. governance and ethics aside (i know/have read even less about those), what is their edge, of any, over competition?
who is their competition?

do we see this back at $7-8 before going to 15-20 eventually? (2-3 years) or is their current high valuation (according to palantir themselves) too large to catch up to in that timeframe?

OK, to me, I put Palantir into the "Government contractor looking to expand to commercial sales" bucket. There is a world of difference bidding large projects to the govt sector as opposed to selling to commercial, corporate, clients. Over decades I've seen many govt contractors trying to get into commercial sales and failing. Almost everything about the two types of companies is different including all the way down to how the software is designed and written.

So I generally don't invest in such companies.

OK, to me, I put Palantir into the "Government contractor looking to expand to commercial sales" bucket. There is a world of difference bidding large projects to the govt sector as opposed to selling to commercial, corporate, clients. Over decades I've seen many govt contractors trying to get into commercial sales and failing. Almost everything about the two types of companies is different including all the way down to how the software is designed and written.

So I generally don't invest in such companies.

will you feel similarly about spaceX once starlink has been spun-off?

although i don’t think it’s as easy a comparison obv...just trying to understand better

Last edited:
will you feel similarly about spaceX once starlink has been spun-off?

although i don’t think it’s as easy a comparison obv...just trying to understand better

Yeah, that's a misperception about SpaceX. If you look at the 2018 and 2019 launches (List of Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy launches - Wikipedia), the vast majority of them are commercial customers. It is true that the first five Falcon 9 launches were for NASA, but for launch number 6 onwards, it's been a mix of commercial and US government. And unlike software, there is more similarities to the core product (rocket) than differences for government and commercial.

Unlike many government contractors, SpaceX has always sought commercial customers. Indeed, SpaceX's very first successful launch was on a Falcon 1, and it was a commercial customer (Falcon 1 - Wikipedia). So finding commercial paying customers actually preceded inking their first government contract.