Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate the shape and would have considered one a few years ago if it was different
why not bluetooth or wifi connectivity to your smartphone? no need for the bulky lcd stuck to the camera. make the cam streamlined and tiny
at least now I'd expect that, right?

GoPro has had wifi connecting to a smart phone for quite a while. But it is kind of a pain point to connect the two. Their goal is to eliminate all pain points from capturing, editing and sharing amazing content. My mom got a IPhone a couple of years ago and she can use it pretty good. I don't think she would be able to connect a GoPro to a smart phone if I wrote her step by step directions. So the LCD screen will cater to the not so tech savvy people.

Over in the SCTY thread:

I know this is the SCTY thread, but the VSLR price is pretty low right now. Would I be betting against myself to buy (using new cash) some of it since it's direct competition is SCTY or does the whole "spreading your eggs around" and the fact that there is enough room for solar installations to go around make it ok?

The way I view it, the current competition to ANY alternative energy company is the entrenched oil industry and the lack of adoption. Rooftop solar still has a very low penetration of the available market (here in San Diego, certainly less than 5%). So to a first approximation, if you believe in solar, any of them should do well. Once the penetration really starts to grow, then the companies will get to fight it out and choosing the right one, or alternatively diversifying, will begin to matter more.

I feel so bad for sleepy and others who went long GTAT. Was always a risky play but I'm sure outright bankruptcy was beyond the farthest reaches of risk calculations for most. Hope you guys dig out from these losses.

From Twitter:

"GTAT was in more than 25 ETFs. AND it made up 3% of the Guggenheim Solar ETF"

Ouch.

Last edited:
FluxCap;777216[B said:
]I feel so bad for sleepy and others who went long GTAT[/B]. Was always a risky play but I'm sure outright bankruptcy was beyond the farthest reaches of risk calculations for most. Hope you guys dig out from these losses.

From Twitter:

"GTAT was in more than 25 ETFs. AND it made up 3% of the Guggenheim Solar ETF"

Ouch.

Yeah, I am afraid to email/PM Robert, Blake and 'Norse'. I have not been over at The Contrarian wedsite for about 3 weeks but I think there were many over there that were 'all in'.

Yeah, I am afraid to email/PM Robert, Blake and 'Norse'. I have not been over at The Contrarian wedsite for about 3 weeks but I think there were many over there that were 'all in'.
Went there, not pretty. What I find especially sad is that there are posters asking what bankruptcy means and even one planning to hold on till stock goes back to 5. Another is stating that they will get money from the equity of the company. Another wants to know if his strike 17 target calls are in danger. Clearly they should not have been investing at those levels without the knowledge. I think people can get drawn in by multiple issues including greed (of course) but also believing everything they read on Internet. To me, analysts statements are just as reliable as editorials the most frequent posters on blogs are not the most knowledgable. Doing your research has to mean more than reading blogs. Of course even experienced traders/investors get hurt. They of course knew the risks and took them. There is no substitute for honest management as well. From full speed ahead to BK is a red flag that wasn't present

Went there, not pretty. What I find especially sad is that there are posters asking what bankruptcy means and even one planning to hold on till stock goes back to 5. Another is stating that they will get money from the equity of the company. Another wants to know if his strike 17 target calls are in danger. Clearly they should not have been investing at those levels without the knowledge. I think people can get drawn in by multiple issues including greed (of course) but also believing everything they read on Internet. To me, analysts statements are just as reliable as editorials the most frequent posters on blogs are not the most knowledgable. Doing your research has to mean more than reading blogs. Of course even experienced traders/investors get hurt. They of course knew the risks and took them. There is no substitute for honest management as well. From full speed ahead to BK is a red flag that wasn't present

Agreed. Personally, I never thought we would see this quick a demise. Did my DD and still was surprised....Not about the drop after the apple announcement (that was the risk as I saw it) but total bust....did not see it and if I had the same info again I would have made the same buying moves.

Agreed. Personally, I never thought we would see this quick a demise. Did my DD and still was surprised....Not about the drop after the apple announcement (that was the risk as I saw it) but total bust....did not see it and if I had the same info again I would have made the same buying moves.

I agree, I did read there (TCI) that some are speculating that they couldn't keep up with (or meet) Apple demand. Which is a huge risk. I know as a business owner when we get a contract that is more than 1/4 of our annual revenue I get a little nervous because I know that if something goes wrong or we are not able to perform then the company has a very real bankruptcy risk.

In reality when I look in hindsight the Apple contract for GTAT was a massive undertaking as well as a massive portion of their gross revenue. Not getting that single contract spells disaster.

Compare that scenario to Tesla, whom will have 50,000 contracts next year. Loosing one of them is no big deal. TSLA does still have risks, however theirs are more on the scaling production effectively, maintaining high quality control, and keeping customer service high.

What other cool tech stock to consider?

Solar production equipment supplier.

They bet the whole company on the huge iPhone 6 contract and lost.

Nah, the shareholders lost out. "They"=insiders and management will keep the rest of the business going in a new reformed company, new equity, no debt. They probably sold out before, or sold calls, or bought puts or what-not. You all know how it's done. Think GM. And don't tell me insider trading is illegal - these guys know how to get away with it.

Ugh :-( This bankruptcy has been the major topic on Apple-oriented news sites today, because Apple had advanced this company hundreds of millions of dollars.

I would never go "all in" on one company, not even Tesla.