Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There has been essentially zero news out of Social Capital's Hedosophia blank-check company since its mid-September IPO - and the price of its units has hardly moved, either. This thread discussed the operation at around that time, for those who are interested in learning at least something of it.

Perhaps this will change shortly. The company has announced it will present what it is calling an "informal live discussion" tomorrow, 8 Feb at 5:15pm EST. From the press release: "...to discuss general trends in the global technology sector".

Access information is on the IR section of its website -
www.socialcapitalhedosophiaholdings.com.

A number of us have a vested interest in learning what Mr Palihapitiya & Co. have done or are planning to do with the $700mm raised...

$SNP with a 15% short interest went up 21% AH and premarket
Tsla Short interest much higher at 24%
Plus stock looking super resilient on daily and monthly charts
I suspect a bollinger breakout coming tomorrow AM

As TT probably knows SNAP ended up popping today by .... wait for it ....a staggering 47.16%. On volume 10X higher than normal.

The equivalent of Tesla shooting up from $345 to $507 overnight on volume of 50M shares.

The trigger was an earnings report that beat on every metric, but my guess is the enormous magnitude of the move reflects a little relief from the deep pessimism that had surrounded SNAP, possibly deserved, possibly not (the jury's still out). Plus shorts caught with their pants down.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrendTrader007
As TT probably knows SNAP ended up popping today by .... wait for it ....a staggering 47.16%. On volume 10X higher than normal.

The equivalent of Tesla shooting up from $345 to $507 overnight on volume of 50M shares.

The trigger was an earnings report that beat on every metric, but my guess is the enormous magnitude of the move reflects a little relief from the deep pessimism that had surrounded SNAP, possibly deserved, possibly not (the jury's still out). Plus shorts caught with their pants down.

IMO, 99% of the price escalation of this magnitude was a short squeeze. One that many have been waiting for regarding TSLA. Looks like we will have to wait at least another ER or two (or more) before we see this with TSLA.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
IMO, 99% of the price escalation of this magnitude was a short squeeze. One that many have been waiting for regarding TSLA. Looks like we will have to wait at least another ER or two (or more) before we see this with TSLA.

You could be right. If so, TSLA short sellers should take notice because with the much higher TSLA short interest and Tesla's plans this year they are definitely playing with fire.

Tuesday after hours. As the following snapshot shows....
Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 4.25.56 PM.png

....189,111 shares of Baidu traded at the closing bell at $225.60, representing a trade of $42.66 million, just before the announcement of blowout earnings, and it's now trading up ten dollars from that level. Ain't coincidence and timing wunnerful?

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Tuesday after hours. As the following snapshot shows....
View attachment 280209

....189,111 shares of Baidu traded at the closing bell at $225.60, representing a trade of $42.66 million, just before the announcement of blowout earnings, and it's now trading up ten dollars from that level. Ain't coincidence and timing wunnerful?
Wow, that's lucky!:rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Solar Edge (SEDG) up 20% this morning. Good projections. I read something (sorry, can't find it any more) that said they would overtake Solar City / Tesla residential installations soon. I'm not sure whose panels they use, whether import tariffs will affect them, but it's encouraging to me that the solar residential is resuming progress in the US.

I have SOLD all of our Nvidia position. As I have bragged mentioned a number of times, we created our position in July 2014 at a net cost of $16.99, meaning that I have just created a helluva tax problem for 2018. Poor me.

Reasons:
1. The motivating factor was the series of steps recently out of the White House. Of all the phantasmagorical events that have occurred in the past fifteen or so months, right up there is the realization that my position as a champion of free trade now is contrary to that of a U.S. administration. I still reel...the mind boggles. Now, I DO NOT admit that a trade war is inevitable - I still believe there is perhaps a 1 in 20 chance such can be avoided. But.....

2. That means that I needed to raise my cash position from about 0.5% to some comfortable amount. NVDA had grown to approximately 12% of our equity portfolios. And....

3. The company's position as a high-profile exporter of somewhat sophisticated processing units could make it vulnerable to a lop-off-the-tall-stalks school of tit-for-tatting;

4. Cryptocurrency exposure. I admit that I am uncomfortable in my ignorance; the most cogent way to express this is that I absolutely do not see the justification for these in any legitimate economic transaction. This, I once again admit, is a position of ignorance - but I adamantly believe that one should avoid investments one does not intimately understand. Moreover, I maintain that other countries, China and Korea among them, appear to share the same belief, and that in itself is a reason for extreme caution with cryptocurrency exposure.

5. Energy. Regardless of what one's views are toward Bitcoin, etc., I view with alarm and something akin to disgust at the increasingly important bite out of total electric production that is being diverted to crypto-mining. Any argument that such is prominently making use of clean energy sources, or idle capacity, does not hold up to any economic scrutiny. Further, under the present paradigm, both as more cryptos are invented and the limited # of them remain to be mined, the use of electricity to extract them will of needs rise at almost - and perhaps truly - an exponential rate. This crowding-out effect of of a necessary commodity (electrons) by something that, as I wrote above, I view as societally non-beneficial, is a potent rationalization to stay far away.

Overall, I admire Nvidia greatly (everybody loves a winner, after all) and would like to have maintained our position. Were the crypto problem either not to exist or somehow to be separated from the rest of the company's business, then I could tackle the trade war risk with time and further clarification from Washington. If that were to happen, or if the stock price were to retract by a very handsome amount, I might re-invest. But getting back on a horse that's run away is very, very difficult indeed.

Good luck to all -

I have SOLD all of our Nvidia position. As I have bragged mentioned a number of times, we created our position in July 2014 at a net cost of $16.99, meaning that I have just created a helluva tax problem for 2018. Poor me.

Reasons:
1. The motivating factor was the series of steps recently out of the White House. Of all the phantasmagorical events that have occurred in the past fifteen or so months, right up there is the realization that my position as a champion of free trade now is contrary to that of a U.S. administration. I still reel...the mind boggles. Now, I DO NOT admit that a trade war is inevitable - I still believe there is perhaps a 1 in 20 chance such can be avoided. But.....

2. That means that I needed to raise my cash position from about 0.5% to some comfortable amount. NVDA had grown to approximately 12% of our equity portfolios. And....

3. The company's position as a high-profile exporter of somewhat sophisticated processing units could make it vulnerable to a lop-off-the-tall-stalks school of tit-for-tatting;

4. Cryptocurrency exposure. I admit that I am uncomfortable in my ignorance; the most cogent way to express this is that I absolutely do not see the justification for these in any legitimate economic transaction. This, I once again admit, is a position of ignorance - but I adamantly believe that one should avoid investments one does not intimately understand. Moreover, I maintain that other countries, China and Korea among them, appear to share the same belief, and that in itself is a reason for extreme caution with cryptocurrency exposure.

5. Energy. Regardless of what one's views are toward Bitcoin, etc., I view with alarm and something akin to disgust at the increasingly important bite out of total electric production that is being diverted to crypto-mining. Any argument that such is prominently making use of clean energy sources, or idle capacity, does not hold up to any economic scrutiny. Further, under the present paradigm, both as more cryptos are invented and the limited # of them remain to be mined, the use of electricity to extract them will of needs rise at almost - and perhaps truly - an exponential rate. This crowding-out effect of of a necessary commodity (electrons) by something that, as I wrote above, I view as societally non-beneficial, is a potent rationalization to stay far away.

Overall, I admire Nvidia greatly (everybody loves a winner, after all) and would like to have maintained our position. Were the crypto problem either not to exist or somehow to be separated from the rest of the company's business, then I could tackle the trade war risk with time and further clarification from Washington. If that were to happen, or if the stock price were to retract by a very handsome amount, I might re-invest. But getting back on a horse that's run away is very, very difficult indeed.

Good luck to all -

Still holding all of mine. Hopefully I am being logical and not emotional in my thought that it still has some room to run though I agree that it could be a good retaliatory target in this' tariffy' (not in Webster's Dictionary) environment.

You understand, I'm sure, that that final sentence of yours means that the two of us hold fundamentally different opinions regarding cryptos and the ramifications of them toward electricity consumption. ASICs...GPUs....HP handhelds....do you understand how many gWhs are necessary to extract the last hundred Bitcoins? How many tWhs for the final ten?

Reactions: aubreymcfato
You understand, I'm sure, that that final sentence of yours means that the two of us hold fundamentally different opinions regarding cryptos and the ramifications of them toward electricity consumption. ASICs...GPUs....HP handhelds....do you understand how many gWhs are necessary to extract the last hundred Bitcoins? How many tWhs for the final ten?

To me or @mulder1231 : Or both?