Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Already in, been a customer and deployed with others nearly 5 nears now. I’m also considering more net buying depending on what happens at the open. I’m HOPING for only like a 20-25% pop, settle, then will add to whatever I get.

This is NOT a recommendation to buy or sell any equity.

Reactions: Dharma
Good for you! What price were customers able to get in, if you don’t mind my asking.

Already in, been a customer and deployed with others nearly 5 nears now. I’m also considering more net buying depending on what happens at the open. I’m HOPING for only like a 20-25% pop, settle, then will add to whatever I get.

SPACs. That is what seems to be driving a lot of market hype around EVs (other than Tesla, of course, which is not a SPAC).

Special Purpose Acquisition Corporations, also known as blank check companies, get born in an IPO raising typically hundreds of millions of dollars. They have 18 months from IPO to announce an acquisition, and 2 years from IPO to deploy the capital, or else they must return it to the IPO investors. The theory is that with public company P/Es reaching 22 or 24 on average, a SPAC can buy a private company at an 18 P/E and be ahead of the game.

However, due to the huge amount of money now being poured into SPACs (I watch recent IPO filings and it seems that 80% of new IPOs are now SPACs), there aren't enough quality private companies to go around, hence they start to buy speculative companies with negative earnings, or even no sales.

That's what NKLA was, a SPAC acquisition.

IMHO, the problems with SPACs is that the target company gets to go public with ZERO SEC oversight. No prospectus, no finicky SEC lawyers asking you to clarify or disclose things you'd rather not disclose. And the SPAC gets to artificially set the market cap of the acquired company. There is no market (bidding) mechanism to set IPO price. And maybe even worse, there is no built in institutional support for the stock price. In a normal IPO, you have institutions who buy the stock, and you have a plethora of brokerage companies (the underwriters) whose analysts follow the stock and issue reports. Those brokerage houses are incentivized to prop up the stock price so that they can earn the next lucrative IPO to come along. SPAC companies have none of this.

So, just buyer beware whenever you see a company going public via SPAC acquisition, or reverse merger into a public shell, or a direct listing. They've all bypassed the normal IPO process that has built in safety mechanisms for investors, and helps support the stock price.

Here's an interesting article talking about recent EV related SPACs: Little-known EV and lidar firms are raising billions in Tesla’s shadow
I should add this post to the ones I wrote coruscating SPACs today both in the Main thread as well as in the Nikola one. As you likely know, I have a rather frosty opinion of them.

A zillion years ago - late 80s or early 90s - I tried to find water companies to emplace in some Environmentally Responsible Funds we managed.

Any number of the private water utilities jumped on the bandwagon at that time - I could not, however, discern any justification for calling themselves environmentally responsible. Just a heads-up for anyone looking into same.

It looks like Nvidia x ARM really is happening after rumors the whole year. This is a big, big deal that shifts the balance of power in the semiconductors industry. With once-mighty Intel in a state of decline akin to the fall of the Roman Empire and AMD raiding Intel’s territory like the barbarian tribes did during their incursions to Rome, Nvidia is poised to rise up and claim a new throne in semiconductors. Nvidia’s GPU technology, Mellanox’s interconnect tech, and ARM’s CPU core tech in combination is something Intel should fear in the server and datacenter spaces, places Intel traditionally dominated with no competition whatosever for decades.

Reactions: dc_h

So, I dint’ get my full requested allotment, but having a bit in is fine. Frankly, I did NOT expect rhis IPO pricing, but it seems the big players need to be pad. If we get a large pop to 145$ tomorrow, I’m going to have to seriously consider taking that money off the table. Market price and value assessment, IMHO is really pretty out of whack at this time, right now. #SNOW

• Informative
Reactions: riverFox
So, I dint’ get my full requested allotment, but having a bit in is fine. Frankly, I did NOT expect rhis IPO pricing, but it seems the big players need to be pad. If we get a large pop to 145$ tomorrow, I’m going to have to seriously consider taking that money off the table. Market price and value assessment, IMHO is really pretty out of whack at this time, right now. #SNOW

There is so much interest for this IPO. I would not be surprised to see this hit your target price tomorrow. Crazy valuation for sure but at least they seem to have a product that companies seem to want.

I actually know a client who uses Snowflake, hoping to talk to someone at this client this week to get a user’s perspective. Will report back with what I find out. Cheers.

• Helpful
Reactions: riverFox