Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And that's why I don't like investing in biotech - too much of a dice roll. Even the scientists in the company don't know what results they will get.
Yup, pharmacist here. Wouldn't touch biotech with a 10ft pole. A lot of my other colleagues dipped their toes in because they think there's an advantage. I see it as a lotto ticket more than anything. I like predictable cash flow that can be modeled, not hoping for some miracle drug approval before a patient grows a third eye.

Last edited:
I had bought some ARKK at around 50 (thank you, ARK). As I look at all the ARK funds, the best one, IMHO, still seems to be ARKK based on their top ten holdings. What do you guys think of the various top ten holdings of the ARK funds? Which do you think will do better in 1-2 years?
For the first time in many years, (gasp!) I diversified a bit. I joined the crowd and bought ARKG earlier today.

My own thesis is this:

Wars historically bring leaps in technology. For example, radar, jet planes, rocketry advances and more came out of WWII. This is due to a life-and-death urgency combined with epic spending.

Today there is a global war on the pandemic accompanied by just such urgency and spending in medical, biotech and related areas. I expect great strides in these areas and specifically want exposure to these areas in my portfolio.

However, I don’t have anything like the knowledge I brought to my TSLA investment when it comes to medical and biotech. I am aware how challenging biotech has been for VC’s. Since the thinking at ARK aligns with my own on the things I do know, I’m willing to go with them on the things I don’t.

So, I’m content to let ARKG ferret out and evaluate the genomic opportunities and to compensate them for doing so.

Not exactly what you’re asking, but it’s how I think about it.

Last edited:
For the first time in many years, (gasp!) I diversified a bit. I joined the crowd and bought ARKG earlier today.

My own thesis is this:

Wars historically bring leaps in technology. For example, radar, jet planes, rocketry advances and more came out of WWII. This is due to a life-and-death urgency combined with epic spending.

Today there is a global war on the pandemic accompanied by just such urgency and spending in medical, biotech and related areas. I expect great strides in these areas and specifically want exposure to these areas in my portfolio.

However, I don’t have anything like the knowledge I brought to my TSLA investment when it comes to medical and biotech. I am aware how challenging biotech has been for VC’s. Since the thinking at ARK aligns with my own on the things I do know, I’m willing to go with them on the things I don’t.

So, I’m content to let ARKG ferret out and evaluate the genomic opportunities and to compensate them for doing so.

Not exactly what you’re asking, but it’s how I think about it.

The premise is clear: we now have a fairly clear path to developing cures for many ailments. The science is mostly there, just need to apply it in the right way. Who will manage to apply it is a big question. Unlike with TSLA there are many contenders that are close enough to make it quite hard to call winners ahead of time. ARK did some research for us and that's their best guess. A different way to play this is to just pick a low-cost broad biotech ETF and wait.

And that's why I don't like investing in biotech - too much of a dice roll. Even the scientists in the company don't know what results they will get.

Invest in the platform, not the therapeutic ;)

Twist Biosciences. Synthetic DNA will be important to many areas of research (and potentially consumer!) in the future. It's a small part of the ARKG portfolio but I think it should be one of their largest holdings. One of my friends is a CRISPR/Biotech equity research analyst and she loves Twist as well. Great team. Great tech. Cost effective tech.

It’s much more likely that it’s because of Arcturus Therapeutics’ (ARCT) tank of >50% today on disappointing vaccine news. That’s 4.5% of the fund. That also put some downward pressure on the whole sector.
Really? Wow. That's totally plausible, and the idiocy that it implies is scary.

edit:
ARCT dropped 54% due to its "underwhelming" Covid vaccine. It was ARKG's 3rd largest holding.
OK, that's at least a non-insane reason.

Last edited:
My wife has a B.Sc. in biology, an M.Sc. in Computer Science, and a J.D. She is terrified of investing. Recently came into a non-trivial inheritance. I pointed her to the various ARK funds, so of course she invested in ARKG. Yesterday. I had to talk her off a ledge this morning; it was exactly mirroring an experience she had with an IRA that her father told her to invest in something-or-other. S-O-O tanked, permanently. I really hope that doesn't happen to ARKG.

My wife has a B.Sc. in biology, an M.Sc. in Computer Science, and a J.D. She is terrified of investing. Recently came into a non-trivial inheritance. I pointed her to the various ARK funds, so of course she invested in ARKG. Yesterday. I had to talk her off a ledge this morning; it was exactly mirroring an experience she had with an IRA that her father told her to invest in something-or-other. S-O-O tanked, permanently. I really hope that doesn't happen to ARKG.

Oh my! Bad timing. Tell her I feel her pain. I've invested in growth companies that a couple of weeks later tanked 30%. A 6.6% one day decline is bit bold for a basket of stocks, but in a couple of months, all will be well. Hopefully she didn't invest everything into ARKG? For people who are risk averse, a basket of diverse stocks is a good thing. Maybe the S&P 500 is more her speed? I love the ARK funds, but only as a portion of my holdings. And even then I invest in ARKK which is the most diverse one. ARKG is concentrated in one sector, and today's activity shows you the problem with that.

Reactions: ggr
What are some some other vehicles for investing in Bitcoin? How is investing in GBTC compared to buying BTC?

I have been doing my research and the hype is unreal. This whole supply is fixed concept of bitcoin is fascinating.

They do have some restrictions, so be sure to read the FAQ, but PayPal does allow you to buy, sell, and hold Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin within your PayPal account. You can’t really spend it but if you just want to get some and hold it to sell later it might be an easy way to get into some assuming you already have a PayPal account.

Imagine me trying to tell my husband that today is even better than yesterday! I too recently pitched ARKG among their other funds :D

Haha. No. Working on getting another team better at execution to take over the idea.

It's strange. Such a great idea, but every tram working on it have *sugar* members.

Meanwhile, you guys can still go play with the previous stocks I found. They are still small caps and have rooms. Lightspeed and all the mushrooms lottery tickets

Yeah, not a recommendation per se, just a question. I didn't know enough about them at the time to put any money down, and it doesn't seem like that Tesla partnership rumor ever came to fruition.

Conceptually they sound promising, microgrid software in a similar vein to Tesla's Autobidder. But it would be nice to know more details.

EDIT: doing some digging this morning. They've gotten into cryptocurrency... sounds really gimmicky to me: https://www.reddit.com/r/CleanSpark..._confused_on_why_clsk_would_acquire_a/gfzl56b
Yes, I thought about it today, you didn't recommend CLSK, you just connected CLSK and TSLA as @MP3Mike showed above.

Earlier this year I actually did find a quote from Cleanspark CEO (I think from an earnings transcript? again, I can't remember) that had him saying he couldn't discuss what Cleanspark and Tesla were working on together. I bought CLSK after reading that, but, after seeing it drop, and the fact that I was just buying on rumor and no research, I sold.

But CLSK is the only other stock I actually look at each day, and have been ever since I sold it (I, too, find it a promising company--basically Tesla's Autobidder as a single, standalone entity--they've got projects all over the world). I've also found an interesting pattern that when CLSK is trending red or green for the day, TSLA is trending the same (not the same percentage, just when one is up, the other is often up; when one is down, the other is often down. Again, just a silly pattern I've found, but a pattern nevertheless). It seems to me like a day trader's dream, big percentage moves up and down each day.

Understanding Tesla and keeping up with the TMC Investor Roundtable has consumed an inordinate amount of my free time this year and I simply haven't had the time to look into other companies. But I do plan on digging into Cleanspark when I get the chance. I will report back here if I find anything noteworthy.

The one thing I have learned with most of these speculative stocks is you buy and hold. In other words be prepared to lose it all. You never know when these go on a crazy 50% run in a single day. Of course you need to size the trades accordingly.

ABML sure sounds like an interesting stock so bought some last week. Also bought some GBTC this week. Thanks for the pointers.
I'm not a "be prepared to lose it all" kind of guy. I'm quite risk averse, and would rather try to understand the company than take a wild speculative flyer. Cleanspark is a Utah-based company with ongoing projects around the world, trades on the NASDAQ, and, from a cursory investigation, seems to have a bright future ahead; they always have something in development and/or new distributed energy projects coming online.

One thing I'd like to know is, what happened in early 2019 that caused the stock to sink and stay so low for so long--and then why the sudden breakout in July of this year? Are they working with Tesla? I could see them partnering with Tesla, or Tesla buying them outright.

Twist Biosciences. Synthetic DNA will be important to many areas of research (and potentially consumer!) in the future. It's a small part of the ARKG portfolio but I think it should be one of their largest holdings. One of my friends is a CRISPR/Biotech equity research analyst and she loves Twist as well. Great team. Great tech. Cost effective tech.

Picking individual biotech stocks seems way deeper than most TMCers can research to the (TSLA) extent we’re become accustomed to. Can you share some sources to read up on so we (really, so I) can sound less stupid while promoting ARKG’s holdings?

Picked up some ARKG today for a nice discount.

Not advice but IMHO, It's a nice compliment to TSLA due to it's Genomics / gene editing exposure.

My brokerage advised that ARKG had paid out a "special dividend" and it had resulted in the options prices going all weird. All of them are ending in .21 now for some reason. This was preventing the placement of online orders for some brokerages.

Not sure why this is - but may be of benefit to others on this thread as well. If you have any options orders open for ARKG, you may wish to double check to make sure the orders are still in effect.

Would love more insights/thoughts on Twist Biosciences. Never come across this company before

Romeo power is merging with the RMG SPAC. Ticker symbol is changing today to RMO. I expect there will be a lot of activity if you are into day trading.

They could also (possibly) be a good play in the EV market if you want to hold but I don't know enough about them to give that kind of advice so I suggest you look into it yourself before making any decisions about it. Looks like they are mostly into EV truck battery packs.

Romeo Power