Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK guys, here's your chance to diversify. While most of us are long TSLA, these stocks here are likely to increase in stock price value at about the same clip as TSLA, on average. So, same gain, lower risk if you buy a basket of similarly high flying growth stocks. And today's the day, I think, to buy. Over the weekend, people (and the press!) are going to realize things are being blown out of proportion and the stock markets are at a good price. That's my guess anyways.

Onto my picks:

BILL - recent IPO. Was at $48 before they had a blow out quarterly result, traded up to $64, now around $52.

ZS - recentish IPO, corporate security company. Lots of growth ahead of it.

DOCU - recentish IPO, electronic signatures. They own a big chunk of the market, have the best brand name, but still tons of growth ahead of them, lots of sectors to knock off.

OKTA - recentish IPO, 2 factor authentication infrastructure company. Well established, market leader, integrates with apps, and delivers corporate security access.

FSLY - recentish IPO, web accelerator and Content Delivery Network. Has a modern CDN architecture and allows acceleration of backend code. Lots of growth and opportunity to steal away market share from the likes of Akamai.

ARKK - don't want to monitor individual stocks? Buy this growth fund that has TSLA has its major holding (usually).

AMZN - won't grow as fast as others, but come on, you gotta have AMZN in your portfolio. They are going to continue dominating retail as well as cloud. And they have lots of room to grow on both.

And since a diversified portfolio should have some more stable dividend paying stocks, here are some good ones:

MSFT - Microsoft, the company we all love to hate. But their Office suite continues to dominate and their cloud offerings are gaining traction.

AMGN - big quality biotech sporting a 3% dividend.

GILD - yeah, they might or might not have a coronavirus therapy (their stock price has been all over the place as news about this pro and con has been hitting the wires), but ignore that. They are a solid pharma company with a 3.75% dividend.

AVGO - chip maker for telecom, Wifi among other things. Most of the new WiFi 6 access points will use Broadcom's chips. 4.55% dividend.

DUK - A utility! But its on sale with a 4% dividend.

D - same. Good utility with a 4.6% dividend. SO too.

V and MA - these credit card companies sport a small dividend but they've been acting like growth companies since they are the only electronic payment companies to have solid margins and revenues.

Finally, here's a different class of companies to check out. Business Development Corporations. They lend money to mid sized companies at nice high interest rates. Other than their stock prices having fallen along with the market, now is a particularly good time to buy them since companies all over are going to have to deal with supply chain issues. One way to deal with them is to increase their inventories. Which requires cash. Cash that BDCs are happy to provide since they are asset backed.

I'll just throw out 4 names, and they have dividends in the 7.5% to 12.7% range. Yeah, it's a lot. These company's stock prices will take more of a hit if we actually tip into a true recession where companies go bankrupt. So, assuming the current market sell off doesn't presage that scenario, these are a bargain: ORCC, ARCC, GBDC, FSK

Happy hunting.

So many Internet postings attempt at predicting the future and later earn the designation of "didn't age well". This post from @Cosmacelf has aged very well indeed. I owe gratitude to him for sharing this knowledge for I have benefited from buying some of his recommendations. I wonder if you, Cosmacelf, are planning an update. It's been 18 months since this posting :)

So many Internet postings attempt at predicting the future and later earn the designation of "didn't age well". This post from @Cosmacelf has aged very well indeed. I owe gratitude to him for sharing this knowledge for I have benefited from buying some of his recommendations. I wonder if you, Cosmacelf, are planning an update. It's been 18 months since this posting :)
anyone have any thoughts on HTZZ…

{my ARKK holdings did “very well thank you” and MSFT is up to about $96,000/share (split adjusted tho my data is a few days old)(multiply by 288)}

Well, here are the results as of now (would have looked quite different a month ago!). I used April 1st 2020 as a starting point, even though I wrote that post February 28th (I don't think there would be much difference).

4/1/202010/31/2021% gain
TSLA$ 156.38$ 1,114.00612%
BILL$ 58.89$ 294.31400%
ZS$ 67.08$ 318.86375%
DOCU$ 104.75$ 278.29166%
OKTA$ 151.30$ 247.1863%
FSLY$ 21.65$ 50.61134%

The growth stocks did really well ... until you compare them to TSLA 😂

So, holding onto TSLA rather than selling some of it and diversifying was actually the best strategy. Not only for absolute returns as shown above, but also, you get taxed on the capital gains you've taken off the table. So you end up investing quite a bit less into the diversified basket.

Basically, this showcases the maxim that to achieve the best gains, DO NOT DIVERSIFY. Diversification lowers risk, but doesn't maximize gains. The catch, of course, is that your guess has to be correct. You have zero wiggle room if you screw up.

I remember when solid state hard drives were just becoming available, I realized they were going to take over the market. Problem was that all the core technology holders were large diversified companies (mostly semiconductor companies that had many product lines). But I did find a small up and coming manufacturer that used other people's chips and was making headway. That stock did great until they got caught channel stuffing resulting in fraud complaints (it was pretty mild all things considered, but it was more than enough to tank the stock).

Anyways, the point is this. Do your research to uncover gems, like TSLA, like ZS, like BILL. And here's the part that no one ever does unless they're a professional. Keep researching your portfolio. Listen to every damn quarterly conference call. Figure out whether or not the company still makes sense. If it continues to be a growth company (or a cyclical company in an up market, or whatever kind of company it is), then there's no reason to sell it.

If you do need to sell, try to match your sales with your losers (we all have them) to minimize tax consequences. Of course, if you need to spend money, don't sweat it, sell some stock, pay the tax (it's lower than ordinary income) and be happy.

Right now, TSLA continues to be a buy. Is it better than some new growth stock that I don't know the name of? Probably not, but I haven't found that other company yet.

Why is TSLA still a buy at $1,114? In a nutshell because Morgan Stanley gave it a $1,200 price target assuming they'll grow at 28% per year. That's very conservative. Tesla itself projects 50% annual growth rate, and given everything I know about the company (and I do listen to all their damn quarterly conference calls), they'll hit that, easily.

Caveat: While it is impossible to generally time the market, there are some near term dangers for all stock market prices. The Fed is about to taper its bond purchases which will cause interest rates to float up. That, along with potentially more signs of inflation, if they appear, will freak out the market, in the short term (like between now and mid-December). Medium and long term, I think you want to be fully invested in the stock market and/or real estate market since it sure is looking like we're headed for a bout of inflation. Don't buy bonds or lend money or hold cash. Owing money is OK though 😀

{my ARKK holdings did “very well thank you” and MSFT is up to about $96,000/share (split adjusted tho my data is a few days old)(multiply by 288)}

HTZZ is never going to be a high flying stock. And it got an artificial bump recently by piggybacking onto the Tesla name. That's a company that needs a detailed spreadsheet analysis to figure out if it makes sense to invest into. Seems that the company itself is poised to do well, but gosh, what a hard to predict market in these times...

Reactions: JRP3

I bought HTZZ on the morning of the Tesla-Hertz deal and am still holding up 13%. I expect the momo of the Tesla link to continue for awhile and I will sell when I think it’s peaked. Not planning a long-term hold. I would buy again if FSD seems imminent and they are positioned to be a robotaxi first mover.

Well, here are the results as of now (would have looked quite different a month ago!). I used April 1st 2020 as a starting point, even though I wrote that post February 28th (I don't think there would be much difference).

4/1/202010/31/2021% gain
TSLA$ 156.38$ 1,114.00612%
BILL$ 58.89$ 294.31400%
ZS$ 67.08$ 318.86375%
DOCU$ 104.75$ 278.29166%
OKTA$ 151.30$ 247.1863%
FSLY$ 21.65$ 50.61134%

The growth stocks did really well ... until you compare them to TSLA 😂

So, holding onto TSLA rather than selling some of it and diversifying was actually the best strategy. Not only for absolute returns as shown above, but also, you get taxed on the capital gains you've taken off the table. So you end up investing quite a bit less into the diversified basket.

Basically, this showcases the maxim that to achieve the best gains, DO NOT DIVERSIFY. Diversification lowers risk, but doesn't maximize gains. The catch, of course, is that your guess has to be correct. You have zero wiggle room if you screw up.

I remember when solid state hard drives were just becoming available, I realized they were going to take over the market. Problem was that all the core technology holders were large diversified companies (mostly semiconductor companies that had many product lines). But I did find a small up and coming manufacturer that used other people's chips and was making headway. That stock did great until they got caught channel stuffing resulting in fraud complaints (it was pretty mild all things considered, but it was more than enough to tank the stock).

Anyways, the point is this. Do your research to uncover gems, like TSLA, like ZS, like BILL. And here's the part that no one ever does unless they're a professional. Keep researching your portfolio. Listen to every damn quarterly conference call. Figure out whether or not the company still makes sense. If it continues to be a growth company (or a cyclical company in an up market, or whatever kind of company it is), then there's no reason to sell it.

If you do need to sell, try to match your sales with your losers (we all have them) to minimize tax consequences. Of course, if you need to spend money, don't sweat it, sell some stock, pay the tax (it's lower than ordinary income) and be happy.

Right now, TSLA continues to be a buy. Is it better than some new growth stock that I don't know the name of? Probably not, but I haven't found that other company yet.

Why is TSLA still a buy at $1,114? In a nutshell because Morgan Stanley gave it a $1,200 price target assuming they'll grow at 28% per year. That's very conservative. Tesla itself projects 50% annual growth rate, and given everything I know about the company (and I do listen to all their damn quarterly conference calls), they'll hit that, easily.

Caveat: While it is impossible to generally time the market, there are some near term dangers for all stock market prices. The Fed is about to taper its bond purchases which will cause interest rates to float up. That, along with potentially more signs of inflation, if they appear, will freak out the market, in the short term (like between now and mid-December). Medium and long term, I think you want to be fully invested in the stock market and/or real estate market since it sure is looking like we're headed for a bout of inflation. Don't buy bonds or lend money or hold cash. Owing money is OK though 😀
Do you still have those stocks in your portfolio? If so, how long do you plan on holding them?

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Yes I still have them. Selling stocks is a complicated decision. Is the market up? Is the company still doing well relative to my reasons for investing in them? Do I need the money? Have I found a better company to invest in?

As you can tell, I don’t have the same conviction in these other stocks as I do in Tesla. I just don’t follow them as closely. They may be better investments than Tesla, I just don’t know.

For me personally right now, I think I’ll be allocating some money into VC funds. Specially ones that can credibly invest in AI and robotics. I’m hunting those down now, so that’s what I’m focusing my research time on. Alphabet (Google) seems to be the best publicly traded company poised to do well in AI right now, other than Tesla I mean.

BTW, I just looked up DOCU sales growth - from their latest quarterly report:

1635785314082.png

Looks impressive, but geez, they are a SaaS company in a green field space that has hugely positive tailwinds from COVID. Tesla has had 70% YoY growth in a much tougher industry during the same periods. No wonder Tesla stock is up so much comparatively.

All that said, I suspect the real estate activity uptick we've been seeing should boost their sales next report (reporting beginning of December, I hate off quarter reporting!).

OK guys, Rivian is going public probably next week. Latest S-1 here: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/...d=R00CF89584490C945D9B95B324AC961B294FF158349

Rivian is raising $9B at about a $60B valuation. Morgan Stanley is leading along with a bunch of other small underwriters. MS will make sure there is a first day pop. While pre-order holders (like me!) get to participate in the directed share program, by my calcs, the most I'll be able to buy at IPO price is $30K or so. And I don't have a MS account, so I won't be able to get anything else at IPO price.

Rivian manufacturing ramp looks good, similar to early days of Model S (actually better than Model S). Rivian literally has 2-3 years of production backlog already, especially when you consider their 100,000 Amazon delivery truck order. With the IPO money, they'll start work on building a second factory ASAP. Rivian is also starting to work on building their own battery cells (like others have also started doing).

All three of their announced vehicles will have tons of demand. Anyways, I think it's worth a few bucks sprinkled their way...

OK guys, Rivian is going public probably next week. Latest S-1 here: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/...d=R00CF89584490C945D9B95B324AC961B294FF158349

Rivian is raising $9B at about a $60B valuation. Morgan Stanley is leading along with a bunch of other small underwriters. MS will make sure there is a first day pop. While pre-order holders (like me!) get to participate in the directed share program, by my calcs, the most I'll be able to buy at IPO price is $30K or so. And I don't have a MS account, so I won't be able to get anything else at IPO price.

Rivian manufacturing ramp looks good, similar to early days of Model S (actually better than Model S). Rivian literally has 2-3 years of production backlog already, especially when you consider their 100,000 Amazon delivery truck order. With the IPO money, they'll start work on building a second factory ASAP. Rivian is also starting to work on building their own battery cells (like others have also started doing).

All three of their announced vehicles will have tons of demand. Anyways, I think it's worth a few bucks sprinkled their way...

BTW, for those that aren't on the directed share program, there's an argument to be made that waiting until the end of the year before buying Rivian stock on the open market may be the right thing to do.

I am guessing that the reason why Rivian is going public now rather than, say, 6 months from now after they have a healthy production ramp going is they are fearful of the markets tanking in the meantime. It is a real possibility. The Fed is about to taper bond purchases which will cause interest rates to rise. That coupled with inflation numbers which might very well get worse, and the US government having to address raising the debt ceiling may cause a market correction in the not too distant future (like between now and end of year). IF that happens, it'll be a buying opportunity for Rivian shares.

I'm on the list with MS and hear that they are shooting for $57-62 per share. What are your expectations post Day-1?

How long, or to what price, do you plan to hold your IPO shares?

It’s never a price target for me, I’m not a trader. I learnt that lesson very painfully when I had bought TSLA pre split at $32 and sold soon after at $42 thinking I was a frigging genius and then kicked myself watching the price hit $100 before buying in again.

I now just buy future growth (for growth stocks, of course). As long as the company has significant future growth ahead of it, I don’t sell. Assuming Rivian doesn’t crash and burn, I don’t see selling Rivian for at least two years.