Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone get Amazon before the split? I picked up some because it was so beat down already and I feel like the split (irrationally) will lead to the stock price going up.

I thought about it, but I need the cash right now. We had a water leak and the insurance company screwed us over. I'm having to pay for a lot of the repairs out of pocket.

Some personal learnings about investing in private startups:

1. Your money is locked up for ~3-10 years with angel investments
2. It's more work than you expect with CEO's and Founders to help them get off the ground and grow
3. There's a lot of legalese you really have to pay attention to and have to hire a lawyer for
4. Angel Investing is, now, swamped with just a ton of people and its become more political than in the past

All of these reasons got me to get out of it after 3 investments. There's no expectation to ever go back to it.

2. It's more work than you expect with CEO's and Founders to help them get off the ground and grow
3. There's a lot of legalese you really have to pay attention to and have to hire a lawyer for
4. Angel Investing is, now, swamped with just a ton of people and its become more political than in the past

All of these reasons got me to get out of it after 3 investments. There's no expectation to ever go back to it.

To point 2 - egos get in the way there a TON. A prior company I invested in and was on the advisory board . . . the CEO just could NOT stop micromanaging everything. Made progress just grind down to glacial speeds. Sadly, I never expect to see a return on that investment.

To point 2 - egos get in the way there a TON. A prior company I invested in and was on the advisory board . . . the CEO just could NOT stop micromanaging everything. Made progress just grind down to glacial speeds. Sadly, I never expect to see a return on that investment.

Honestly, they're all sunk cost investments at this point. Hope they make it into something and believe in the founding teams, but it's a tough slog.

What is the general investor consensus on the upcoming vote for the Tesla stock split?

Just to clarify, the vote is to increase the maximum share count to 6 Billion which enables the board to undertake a 3:1 split. The vote is not for the split itself.
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/0001318605/000156459022022992/tsla-pre14a_20220804.htm
A Tesla proposal for adoption of amendments to certification of incorporation to increase the number of authorized shares of common stock by 4,000,000,000 shares (“Proposal Four”).

Just got a Fidelity IPO notice for this Ivanhoe operation that's looking to mine inside the US for the renewables/EV transition. Not a tech company itself, but the raw materials for EV/storage tech.....

• Informative
Reactions: vikings123
Just got a Fidelity IPO notice for this Ivanhoe operation that's looking to mine inside the US for the renewables/EV transition. Not a tech company itself, but the raw materials for EV/storage tech.....

Interesting, while available now, some project a 6 million ton copper deficit by 2030.

Never mind, I changed my mind. It'd be great to get back into it with a LLC sometime down the line. It's a lot of fun!

• Funny
Reactions: UltradoomY
Polestar (PSNY) options are interesting now, you can get 4:1 leverage on the January '23 7.50s, no time value premium (I actually bought some at a discount today). If you think they win the race over Rivian, Lucid, Fisker, Nio, etc. to be baby TSLA, not a bad time to join.
Yeah, but you are betting on a macro turnaround in the next six months, esp. for automotive stocks. The leverage is nice, but the time factor makes this risky. You aren’t betting on Polestar the company so much as the market.