Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What quality issues should you verify during delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which items are you going to check?
  • Panel gaps
  • Paint issues
  • ?
I am curious what you think we should be checking for, how to identify issues and what does Tesla do if you find issues? What paint defects would you be looking for? It's weird buying sight unseen. I also don't know when to decide if I'm being an impossible ass vs real issue.

Unless there's a functional problem, I'm not going to waste anyone's time―especially mine, but also Tesla's―on panel gaps, imperfect chrome alignment, or tiny/hard to see paint blemishes.
Well, you`re certainly a very forgiving customer then....

If there`s a single bubble in the coating anywhere you can bet that people here would have the manufacturer redo the whole part.
My collegue just had audi dismantle the whole headliner of her new a5 because there was a slight rattle somewhere.
I had Mercedes change the tail lights of my e-class when I saw the first drop of condense water on the inside.
As long as the warranty is running the manufacturer will be held responsible for even the tiniest error here.
I´d not accept misaligned panels/creaking/gap errors etc in a new car beyond absolute entry class.That may be of course due to the horrendous prices when you have to repair anything yourself though. Don´t know how Tesla fares on that end.

Last edited:
I hear you. Everybody's got different standards; to me it's just a car. Like everything else around us, it doesn't need to be—and frankly can't be—perfect. Certainly I'm not going to make appointments and service visits and do without the car for days or weeks for something with no functional value. I say this just in case there's someone reading this who thinks everyone is that picky or should be. Whether it's from raising kids or running a company, I've learned that 1% of compromise can save 80% of the anxiety, and that's a great deal. There's enough other stuff to worry about and spend time on...

Also, I'd hate to spend a few days working with Tesla to get the paint perfect, and then come out to the parking lot and find a door ding the next day. To my mind, "perfect paint" is an exercise in false accuracy.

The way I see it is if there are imperfections in the paint, panel alignment, etc. what does that imply for the rest of the vehicle’s mechanical components? Do I need to then worry if there are “imperfections” in the drive unit, battery, etc? I understand no vehicle will be 100% perfect but if a vehicle is sold to the consumer with obvious imperfections present, without correcting them, then I would question the entire build of the vehicle.

I developed a practice after having worked at an OEM. I do the following with each new car:

- Open all doors, hood, liftgate/trunk and closely examine all hinges and attachment bolts/hardware for any evidence of replacement, repaint, or asymmetry in the condition of such hardware from one side of the car to the other. If/when a vehicle is damaged post-assembly, repair methods may not be obvious, so look for all subtle signs of any disturbance.
- "Shotgun" the car. This means standing at the right rear, left rear, right front, left front, and from each position standing there for a while, eyeballing alongside the length of the vehicle at the liftgate/fender/and door fits. Look for anything under/overflush, door too high or low, trim alignment. Take your time and let your eyes "pour" over each and every seam and part.
- Go to the sheetmetal seams between doors/hood/rear quarter/liftgate, close your eyes, and run your fingertip along the seam. There should not be variation/undulation of one going higher or lower than the other...they should fit and be flush. Your sense of touch can alert you to look more closely. Seams should be fairly consistent between all panels, as there is a corporate spec for sheetmetal gaps.
- Tell the salesman to give you 10 minutes alone with the car so you are undisturbed.

I developed a practice after having worked at an OEM. I do the following with each new car:
- Open all doors, hood, liftgate/trunk and closely examine all hinges and attachment bolts/hardware for any evidence of replacement, repaint, or asymmetry in the condition of such hardware from one side of the car to the other. If/when a vehicle is damaged post-assembly, repair methods may not be obvious, so look for all subtle signs of any disturbance.
- Tell the salesman to give you 10 minutes alone with the car so you are undisturbed.
You might want to ask him for a box of kleenex as well.

I believe/trust that all cars are inspected for quality & finish before they're shipped/delivered specially Tesla's standard. And the rest, perfection is never present anywhere-the more you look for it the more it's missing-it's very elusive.

Well that's clearly not true based on the many panel gaps / alignment issues seen in the first 1000 units. I definitely have been wondering what happens if my car has similar issues and if I have any recourse...

I believe/trust that all cars are inspected for quality & finish before they're shipped/delivered specially Tesla's standard. And the rest, perfection is never present anywhere-the more you look for it the more it's missing-it's very elusive.

I am sorry to say, but it is especially because of Tesla's standard that every new owner should do a thorough inspection of the car during delivery. Trust Tesla's mission. Do not trust their build quality/fit & finish or their quality control.

If you're able to afford any Tesla model, you obviously did not settle for much in life. Why settle now?

Help, A-Pillar Defect Found

Reactions: C141medic
what does Tesla do if you find issues?

In my experience, Tesla will fix the problems, no matter how minor. You may notice a bubble on the dash or a loose door seal well after delivery. Rest assured that your local Tesla service center will listen to your concerns and they will do their best to make it right.

Whatever it may be, remain calm and rest assured that there is a solution that should be covered by your warranty.

I would make sure any cosmetic defects are noted on the due bill. Panel misalignments, paint defects, rattles if you get to test drive it, etc. After you drive off the lot, those can be harder to argue for and you no longer have the leverage of not buying the car.

Functional problems will all be taken care of under warranty.

Reactions: voip-ninja
I would make sure any cosmetic defects are noted on the due bill. Panel misalignments, paint defects, rattles if you get to test drive it, etc. After you drive off the lot, those can be harder to argue for and you no longer have the leverage of not buying the car.

Functional problems will all be taken care of under warranty.

Agree, have them note any concerns.
I had some paint issues on delivery but was so anxious for delivery that I just had them note any issues. The paint issue I had was small but a scratch right to bare metal and another white spot on a rear panel that they tried to touch up at delivery but just made worse
The more I thought about it, the more it was bugging me.
A month or so after delivery I took it back and Tesla sent it out to Caliber. It to a while but they did a great job

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DR61