Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What smartphone are you all using?

What smartphone are you using?

• Android

Votes: 106 39.6%
  • iOS

Votes: 146 54.5%
  • Other

Votes: 16 6.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MarkS22, I'd highly recommend the Nexus 6P. I've tried the flagship Android Phone every year for the past 3 years. This is the first I've wanted to stick with.
I've liked all of them, but I will say that the Nexus S 4G is the one I've liked the least. Loved the Nexus 6, but at times it was just a tad too big for one handed operation. I need the bigger size for my clumsy thumbs.

Blackberry Passport. Call me old fashioned but I'm not cool with anyone being able to read the entire contents of my phone whenever they want nor with apps that constantly report my location (and other things) even when the app is not in use.

I can side-load Android apps manually or from the Amazon store. However Google services are not available (licensing issues w/ Google which is why the PRIV exists IMO) so the Location/Map part of the Tesla app doesn't work for me although everything else does. It will still list the address of the car on the main screen and that has been good enough but to the OP, if you can figure out a way to give me maps through your Android app I would pay big money :)

Galaxy Note Edge and hate it. The screen is awesome to look at and even in bright sunlight it's good, but other than that the curved edge is just annoying. you can't really hold it without touching the screen. There are hardly any cases available. The camera is awesome, though. Battery swap is possible as well as adding a micro SD card.

What improvements are necessary?

They need an iMessage counterpart.

Android relies on MMS which is outdated slow. It can generally handle things fine when done by itself, but when getting a lot of MMS messages at once (and group texts come in as MMS) the phone gets bogged down so things come in slow, if at all.

For all it's market share, it's not leveraged because there is not one messaging app that all Android users use thus there's no advantage to Android-Android communication like there is for iOS-iOS communication.

There should be one program, by default, for Android which would automatically decide the best means to send a message based on who you're sending it to (Android, iOS, Windows, dumbphone, etc), available connections (sms, mms, WiFi, cellular data, etc), and what you're sending (text, pic, vid, etc) and it should do this seamlessly.

They need an iMessage counterpart.
like google hangouts? it exists, and works great.

Android relies on MMS which is outdated
it is also the ONLY method that works across all phones from all manufacturers, and as a result, I STRONGLY dislike it when people avoid it in favour of any of the inferior proprietary protocols, the worst of which is imessage, that assumes anyone who ever had an iphone in their life still does and won't deliver messages to them any other way, it also insists on always using expensive data instead of free SMS for all communication.

There should be one program, by default, for Android which would automatically decide the best means to send a message based on who you're sending it to (Android, iOS, Windows, dumbphone, etc), available connections (sms, mms, WiFi, cellular data, etc), and what you're sending (text, pic, vid, etc) and it should do this seamlessly.
Apple doesn't have that either. HOWEVER there is one protocol that does that... it's called MMS, and it's the best way of doing what you ask, too bad you have to dig deep through menus on iphones to force it to do this.

How is it that a majority of folks are using iOS and 99% of the comments are non-iOS? :)
Yes, :). I suspect it may have something to do with Tesla Owners, TMC and such being a world of passionate enthusiasts, many who are also into tech and like to do things their way whenever they can. Android fits that bill pretty well being able to have it almost just the way you want it -- for the good, and sometimes bad that may involve.

I personally lived that techie life for most of my years, both personally and as part of my career, and was happy with most of the results. In more recent times however, my personal priorities have changed and I have grown OK with being part of an infrastructure that most of the time, just works without so much "bit twiddling" like I used to do, even if I don't have as many choices, and have to buy from one mfgr. Fortunately, my experiences have been pretty good with my decision, but of course there are options for those that need or want something else. To each their own!

Moto E Gen 1.
Wife just entered the world of "Why do I have to learn how do stuff again?"/smartphones with Moto G Gen 3.

Republic Wlreless only does the Moto E, G and X. And neither my wife nor I live on our phones or want Apple stuff so the limitation is no loss.
About $350 and then $20/mo (plus taxes and fees) for our 2 phones and lines. If our phones last 3 years then it'll work out about $30/mo for both of us, any more will be less. Having seen a teardown, the Moto E Gen 1's non-removable battery actually looks easy to replace if my battery does die. Haven't seen the G Gen 3 yet.

Not a Tesla owner because of the cost. Hmm, a pattern ...

- - - Updated - - -

The bigger question is why, when the vast majority of people use Android, does iOS have a larger share of this poll? (based on actual sales numbers across the industry)

Tesla = expensive. iPhone = expensive.

How is it that a majority of folks are using iOS and 99% of the comments are non-iOS? :)
Android users are a bit more vocal, mostly I think because they feel they treated as second class citizens when it comes to app releases.

I feel for them, but they need to understand that just because there are more Android devices out in the world, does not mean it's the best platform to develop for first. User demographics, platform consistences, OS version adoption rates, paid app sales numbers, etc. are all factors that need to be taken into account when choosing your lead app development platform.