Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the $#@$# is going on with Model X custom orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll be picking up from the Fremont delivery center right by the factory most likely. My advisor hasn’t really given me anything informative about why it’s taking so long. At best she seems as clueless as I am. There may be a huge order surge of white paint cars taking advantage of free supercharging. They’re also delivering to more easterly destinations first too it appears.

That's my guess as well. Maybe I should buy some stock

I called in and still no VIN, but she did say that there is a backlog due to the number of orders recently. Has only been two weeks for us. White on black six-seater. Long Range. Being patient.

I have the same exact set up as you. I purposely orderd black in hopes of shortening the wait time. After several emails back and forth, I finally got a VIN on Saturday while my order date was 8/15.

If for some reason delivery isn't within 2 weeks, I'll be looking else where. I wouldn't mind the wait but not knowing is the WORST!

I have the same exact set up as you. I purposely orderd black in hopes of shortening the wait time. After several emails back and forth, I finally got a VIN on Saturday while my order date was 8/15.

If for some reason delivery isn't within 2 weeks, I'll be looking else where. I wouldn't mind the wait but not knowing is the WORST!
You should plan on a 6-7 week wait.

I don’t get this business about cars getting damaged in transport there are more stories about that on this forum it’s as if these cars went to war I never heard of this before and to the degree that it’s mentioned it’s ridiculous
Traditional car dealerships also go through this, their cars get damaged in transit as well. They get fixed before they are listed on the lot, so the customer never knows about it.
If you were to custom order a bmw at your local dealer and it was damaged in transit you’ll be going through the same thing as with teslas.

Traditional car dealerships also go through this, their cars get damaged in transit as well. They get fixed before they are listed on the lot, so the customer never knows about it.
If you were to custom order a bmw at your local dealer and it was damaged in transit you’ll be going through the same thing as with teslas.
OK, thanx you made me feel better...generally never custom order . Never wait this long either! it's been an experience..

Reactions: AMPd
breaking bad, luv the name!!

• Love
Reactions: AMPd
Seems like they’re fulfilling all the cross country orders right now and not doing California/Bay Area? At least not until the end of September.
End of quarter features x-US production until the ships won’t arrive in time. Then longer delivery time customers (East Coast), working west.

I’ve seen quarters where a California resident could order in September and pick up in Fremont before month-end.

OK, thanx you made me feel better...generally never custom order . Never wait this long either! it's been an experience..

As a benchmark, my custom ordered BMW X3 took 12 weeks (checked every option box except 2!). My custom ordered X took 14 weeks. And I live 15 miles from the factory and picked up at the Deliver Center 2 miles from the factory.

Tesla builds cars in batches by region. So one batch may be for the EU, another for Asia, ..... and the windows for each batch contracts or expands based on order volume. The 2 weeks on the website is a best case estimate.

interesting story...SC called my hubs today.."Car is ready, can you pick up today vs tomorrow?"
he had an "ultra important golf tournament" and had to leave by 12....all he had to do was write a check, then i could take over we figured. We called back worked out the timing, but i got on fone and said i want to inspect the car before any funds are exchanged...that was ok" TILL she called back & said tomorrow was better they had to prep the car & wash it >>>>C'mon What is the deal??? it is either ready for an inexperienced , all to eager & enthusiastic Tesla purchaser or if you have some experience at a car dealership & are better informed thanks to this Forum..NO!! it's getting inspected!! Hmmmm.Well, then it's gotta get prepped??? They also could have delivered to our hse. but he had to pay for it then get it delivered...No dice!!

Last edited: