Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to bring along for a long distance, sparse population road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
S'ers,

been working on a plan to see if I can make it to Fairbanks from California. Seems to be possible on paper.

I thought I'd ask the collective wisdom of the forum masters and road warriors what to bring along besides a diesel generator (always the first suggestion everyone seems to provide)?

I made a separate thread for discussions on the route.

Here some of my list:
  • Tire patch kit
  • spare tire ?
  • wipers
  • charging cord plus spare
  • adapters - two J plug adapters plus a variety of power adapters
  • Heavy duty power extension cable
  • AAA extended coverage
  • Tow strap
  • 12V Battery ?
  • Mattress, etc for sleeping in the back

• Mosquito repellent, head screen
  • Folding bike
  • Portable computer with Power adapter
  • Canadian cell phone with data plan
  • CB radio ?

After talking with Tesla service, I'm leaning against a spare tire, as it is something I can get up north.

What failures have you seen that would be worth preping for, such as packing spares.

Guy Hall

Once you get half way north the cell phone will be close to useless (speaking from experience driving to Inuvik) we had a CB, but it didn't get used, we also had a commercial radio with the LADD channels on it, that was useful as truckers on the Dempster Highway announce their positions (and comforting to know we could call someone somehow if needed)
I also built bug screens for my windows (mosquitoes are NASTY up north!) was easy enough, just had some screen material and a bunch of velcro which hooked on to the fabric around the window frames (note: this was NOT a Tesla so I can't guarantee anything for attachment methods)
Recommend extra wiper fluid.
Common hand tools and a willingness to Jerry-Rig would also be a must. On my trip I brought various bits and pieces, spare bulbs for headlights and other lights, hose clamps, duct tape, plastic sheeting, misc screws and bolts.

Biggest challenge for you will be the long stretches with few electrical outlets, you'll need very careful planning, and/or a generator.

A jack and wheel nut wrench. Hard to patch a tire when it's on the car.

Funny, I've patched 4 or 5 now, and I've never once removed one from the car to do so. Patch, re-inflate, and keep driving. It would be much more difficult to remove and re-install then it is to just do it on the car.
That said, those items are probably good to have anyway, just not for that reason.

Funny, I've patched 4 or 5 now, and I've never once removed one from the car to do so. Patch, re-inflate, and keep driving. It would be much more difficult to remove and re-install then it is to just do it on the car.
That said, those items are probably good to have anyway, just not for that reason.
Good to know... Never having patched a tire, I think I'll check out some youtube footage.

This may be basic, but call your insurance company and ask them to print you a Canadian Non-Resident insurance Card. Should not cost anything, but a Canada-spec insurance card is required to be carried in the car, even for US cars visiting...

This may be basic, but call your insurance company and ask them to print you a Canadian Non-Resident insurance Card. Should not cost anything, but a Canada-spec insurance card is required to be carried in the car, even for US cars visiting...
Sorry, I'm gonna have to call bs on this one. Just as your us driver's license and us license plates are valid, so is your us insurance card.

Sorry, I'm gonna have to call bs on this one. Just as your us driver's license and us license plates are valid, so is your us insurance card.

Not what I was told when I called my carrier to ask about coverage in Cansda -- we're driving up to BC next month. They said I was covered under our regular policy, but we just needed to have the Canadian proof of insurance form in the car. The sent me one last week and it's now in the car.

i use a different carrier, but here's the info from GEICO. Says the same thing...
GEICO | Information Regarding GEICO Insurance and Canada

Not what I was told when I called my carrier to ask about coverage in Cansda -- we're driving up to BC next month. They said I was covered under our regular policy, but we just needed to have the Canadian proof of insurance form in the car. The sent me one last week and it's now in the car.

i use a different carrier, but here's the info from GEICO. Says the same thing...
GEICO | Information Regarding GEICO Insurance and Canada

That page makes it clear: you don't need the Canadian proof of insurance if you're a tourist, but you will need one one if you're a non-resident alien there living or working.

(We've driven into Canada multiple times and Canadian border police don't ask to see your proof of insurance.)

That page makes it clear: you don't need the Canadian proof of insurance if you're a tourist, but you will need one one if you're a non-resident alien there living or working.

(We've driven into Canada multiple times and Canadian border police don't ask to see your proof of insurance.)

Considering that my wife is Canadian, they might question the tourist thing, so I'll keep that in the car for the trip. It didn't cost anything extra...