Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What UNEXPECTED Feature Do You Love/Hate After Delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Basic Autopilot has taken most of the stress out of the long commutes I have to endure here in SoCal. It is the single best thing about the car for me. Yes, I know other cars have it, including my previous one with the adaptive cruise control. It never worked nearly as well than it did on the Tesla, though.

Two things irk me: I find the frunk more useful than the main trunk, but it's inconvenient to open and close it. And, a minor but surprisingly irksome omission is the lack of grab handles. This is probably just me, though. In my Toyotas I always found it relaxing to reach up and grab the grab handles. I am still getting used to it not being there.

+ one pedal driving
+ software releases!
+ AP on longer drives (never really tested extensively before owning)
+ the calmness created by no buttons and blinking lights, high dash with limited view, etc
+ how much I'd enjoy not getting gas (even more than expected)
+ how it changes perspective on how ancient current ICE cars are, and how open to disruption this space is
+ having an app for everything when away from the car
+ can customize with wraps, etc

- water in the trunk when opening
- how many little things you need to really make it better (center insert, wrap, screen protector, trunk opener, etc)
- gaps
- music support, bad search, relatively poor interface (still better than most cars, but that screen provides more potential)
- willingness to release new software that is buggy or causes issues
- no beeping/alerting on backing up and close to objects
- how we could possibly not have enough cameras/views to create a 360 overhead backup view (like my Chrysler!)
- how much I liked having an always on rear-view camera for highway driving (like a recent crappy rental SUV I had!), and how the model 3 rear view camera can't provide that because it's fisheye
- Sentry is useless as created

Reactions: tvad
The one feature that is used most is auto pilot. I did not think I would use it as much as I do. One peddle driving is great.

Voice commands for the phone you still need to confirm on screen the number you want sometimes. Wish we had an option to make the text bigger on the screen.

Over all one of the best vehicles I have owned.

Last edited:
Sentry Mode: This feature was actually one of the selling points for me getting a TM3. But in its current state it’s borderline worthless, IMO. Mainly because you can’t view the “incident” on the 15” screen that is the nerve center to the car. This makes zero sense. I think the 10 seconds that triggered the incident report should be loaded and ready for your review upon entry into the vehicle. So unless my bumper is hanging off, I’m not going through the hassle of looking through 30 clips to see someone just pulled into the spot next to mine or walked past the car. It’s not that serious.

I also find that the incident report gives me anxiety...because I can’t review it. I think it’s better to not know that something “happened”, especially if it takes 13 steps to see it.

However I am hopeful that the Sentry mode will be improved in the future through OTA updates, and I am looking forward to moving this feature to the “camp love” soon.

I do agree that it’s not practical to have to view the footages on a separate device. Have you heard of a product called Roadie?

Since there is not (yet?) a way to view Sentry footage in the car, I ordered a Roadie. Everything I read is positive and the guy who makes them seems very nice. I am optimistic.

Considering Sentry exists only because people said, "hey, there is camera and it would be nice to be able to see the footage," I try not to complain about its shortcomings

Basic Autopilot has taken most of the stress out of the long commutes I have to endure here in SoCal.
This alone was a HUGE factor in the decision.

Love the one pedal driving, hate the turn indicator that is a bit stiff to activate and often doesn't stop automatically. The Frunk is great but it really feels like a cheap tin can when closing it. And the auto wipers... they often start when not needed and don't activate when actually needed. These are minor quibbles for an otherwise great car though.

Love the one pedal driving, hate the turn indicator that is a bit stiff to activate and often doesn't stop automatically. The Frunk is great but it really feels like a cheap tin can when closing it. And the auto wipers... they often start when not needed and don't activate when actually needed. These are minor quibbles for an otherwise great car though.
What do you mean by the turn signals not stoping automatically? Mine work about the same as in my BWM X5. They shut off after completion of a turn and give the three flash signal if the stalk is moved halfway.

• Helpful
Reactions: Petrlol
good: audio system sounds so good, one pedal, acceleration even more than imagined
quibbles: needs native apple music ui, rattles, bit hard to climb in/out even with easy entry

I cancelled my Apple Music to try Spotify since it’s native and they’re the same price. If I don’t like it or Tesla adds Apple Music I can always go back.

yes that's how they're supposed to work but for some reason they don't always turn off after completing a turn so I have to manually flick it off.
Well that would just be annoying. Sounds like something you should get them to take care of. There is a discussion about others having this issue in another thread and Tesla has acknowledged that some people are having this issue and taking care of it.

yes that's how they're supposed to work but for some reason they don't always turn off after completing a turn so I have to manually flick it off.
There was a problem with the steering column control module in 2018 that caused this. If you don't have a 2018 model, maybe it is a similar issue with another bad batch of parts. We had this fixed on two of our Model 3s.