Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What usb drive GB do you use for dash cam?

usb drive GB for dash cam

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding dashcam microSD cards, vendors will say with 24/7 recording even with highly regarded cards don’t expect it to last years. I’ve been told 6 months to a year is a reasonable average expectation (probably based on variations such as heat etc). Our Blackvue MLC 256GB card lasted just under a year by a couple of weeks and these are designed for heavy use recording in a wide range of temps.

I'm using a 256GB Samsung Endurance Pro microSD card right now in a card reader. Have a 256GB blackvue microSD card I can switch out with. Seems to be a good capacity card that takes me a while to even get close to filling (so far not yet). I do periodically pull it and check footage and then continue to use. Not really sure what the best time is to reformat. I'm thinking to let the flashdrive get written to near the end and then reformat but really not sure how the controller is writing to the media. Anyone?

We've been having temps in the 100s and suspect many more weeks of it as we move through summer/fall. We do use cabin overheat protection which as long as I've sat in the car will keep the temp no higher than 105F so curious to see how the usb feature works over the summer. Wonder how hot that interior area will get. The dashcam feature does have constant overwriting (buffer folder) going on. The Endurance Pro card is at least designed for dashcam use where as the run of the mill usb drives are not.

I'm planning to use a Samsung 128GB as well. How do you set it up for TeslaCam and Sentry (no music). Does it need to be formatted in FAT30 or can I just use Windows 10 to format it? Are special folders required to be added before use? Thanks for the tip in advance.

I'm planning to use a Samsung 128GB as well. How do you set it up for TeslaCam and Sentry (no music). Does it need to be formatted in FAT30 or can I just use Windows 10 to format it? Are special folders required to be added before use? Thanks for the tip in advance.
TeslaCam needs fat32. You need a special utility to format greater than 32gb fat32 in windows

TeslaCam needs a folder called TeslaCam case sensitive. Capital T and C.

Music can be on a separate partition doesn't need to be FAT32. Not sure of all supported partition types though.

Reactions: jebinc
I use this 500GB Samsung T5 SSD. Works perfectly. 500GB is overkill for now, at least until/if they add more cameras. Price is good though considering what you get. I have a monthly calendar reminder to check my drive. I use Sentry everywhere except home. After a month, I typically find that it has used about 75GB. This will vary of course depending on where you park. Drive stays cool (at most a faint warmth to the touch), even in hot daytime temps. Very fast retreival of files and I can seek through videos rapidly without having to copy them to my PC.

Reactions: Sofaman