Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Wh/mi are you getting in this wet weather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interested to see how everyone else is getting on in this wet weather. I have had my Model 3 Performance for about a week now and the Wh/Miles seems very high. is this just because of the flooded roads? Based in east Dorset (relatively flat) 10c temp, driving average trips of 10-15miles. Driving conservatively I am getting 330-350Wh/Mi, this is also with the climate set to to 19c on lowest power fan. What is everyone else managing?

Interested to see how everyone else is getting on in this wet weather. I have had my Model 3 Performance for about a week now and the Wh/Miles seems very high. is this just because of the flooded roads? Based in east Dorset (relatively flat) 10c temp, driving average trips of 10-15miles. Driving conservatively I am getting 330-350Wh/Mi, this is also with the climate set to to 19c on lowest power fan. What is everyone else managing?

Yes, with short trips and lots of weather this is what you can expect. Your long trip range would have a better average so don't just add up a few short trips and work it out from there. You can't easily compare with others with any confidence as there are so many variables but be assured there's nothing obviously amiss! The problem we have with getting used to the car is that though we desperately want/need to know how our real life range is going to fit into our usual driving patterns the process of doing this just magnifies our anxieties. A small but significant benefit can be gained on short journeys by heating the car for 10 minutes on "shore power" before you set off.

If you are able to charge to adequately cover your miles driven then try not to over-think it! If you are planning longer trips have a play with Abetterrouteplanner. This will give some reassurance about when to charge and to what percentage. Clearly we are in the worst season for driving range so when spring comes it's only going to get better!

Reactions: Ch0pper
Average over the first month and 1000 miles is 347Wh/mile. That’s in a Model 3 Performance, based in London, and driven with absolutely no regard whatsoever for watt misery trying to eek out every last metre from a charge. Hence, cabin warmed to 22c, Full bore acceleration when the fancy takes me, cruising at proper speeds on motorways... Essentially driving it like I drive any other car. Make progress, and plenty of it if possible.

The logic here is that I find out what it will really do and how well it fits into my life before I make any concessions or compromises to accommodate its electric foibles, such as (heaven forbid) driving slower.

Currently it’s in a phase of testing best called “drive it somewhere far away, dump it for a week, and fully expect it to get you home when you come back to it“ This, I admit, might be a challenge my old petrol cars are better equipped to deal with, but if it can’t get me home with minimal fuss when I most need it to (say, after a late night flight into a busy airport) then it’s not much good to me.

Average over the first month and 1000 miles is 347Wh/mile. That’s in a Model 3 Performance, based in London, and driven with absolutely no regard whatsoever for watt misery trying to eek out every last metre from a charge. Hence, cabin warmed to 22c, Full bore acceleration when the fancy takes me, cruising at proper speeds on motorways... Essentially driving it like I drive any other car. Make progress, and plenty of it if possible.

I will presume that because you are London based you will have a great deal of external factors (traffic) that will curtail much of your potential energy sapping fun! This should temper your excesses sufficiently to leave enough battery to get home! The lack of traffic around the Scottish Borders provides (too much?) opportunity to "burn" those electrons ... I'm guessing this may be the case with the original poster too since the country roads will be mostly clear of tourists at this time of the year!

For a 10-15 mile drive that’s pretty good, especially as it’s your first week and the acceleration can be tempting.

I’ve had longer trips that’s kept me under 280 Wh/mi and short trips that have hit 400+ Wh/mi.

Keep those seat heater on instead of climate being set high, don’t go over 65mph and you can keep it under 300 Wh/mi on longer drives.

Although for shorter trips I don’t worry and enjoy the car knowing I have plenty battery to play with.

I will presume that because you are London based you will have a great deal of external factors (traffic) that will curtail much of your potential energy sapping fun! This should temper your excesses sufficiently to leave enough battery to get home! The lack of traffic around the Scottish Borders provides (too much?) opportunity to "burn" those electrons ... I'm guessing this may be the case with the original poster too since the country roads will be mostly clear of tourists at this time of the year!

Oddly, it’s those miles spent in stop start traffic that seem to be most wasteful of energy, but also where autopilot comes into its own. Living in London and commuting outside each day though means I’m generally going against the usual traffic flow though, so I don’t suffer the worst of London’s jams.

Once out into the Home Counties, the freedom to flex some electrical muscle is more readily available.

tbh honest for me wet weather, having fog lights on etc. night time driving does not really make a lot of difference to me, I just do not use the A/C and for the most part never need to even in the damp cold wet miserable weather we are having of late, The only time it needs a few minutes is if there are more passengers, just got in out of the wet, or I have been playing badminton and sweating a lot :(

I still seem to get around 300-335 on very early fast 60 mile trip going into London each week P+ on 18's and winter tyres though.

I still enjoy the performance to the fullest on shorter trips, but if I have a 200+ mile roundtrip, chilling at 65 with autopilot can mean the difference between having to stop to charge or not, which saves more time that going 75 and then needing to charge.

... though the charging rate in "miles per hour" at a supercharger is much faster than you can drive. That should mean that so long as you have enough charge to reach the next supercharger you can go as fast as you like! Obviously this ignores time lost in driving in and out of locations and starting/stopping charge or with toilet requirements so it may not always work in your favour.

I have no idea how anyone is getting down into the 300’s.

I’ve had mine for just over a week / 500 miles, and even when driving completely sensibly or in chill mode, I can’t get it under 400. My average is high 400’s, and into the 500’s if I use the potential of the car... :/

Reactions: KennethS
465 Wh/Mi :)
(not much point having it if you aren't using it)

clearly some of you aren't trying hard enough; or you have one of hose pesky Model3s with their ridiculously good efficiency.

PS - could do with some more sigs on here so we know what you're driving - hover the mouse over your avatar and select signature

Im proudly in the bottom 7% of user efficiency in TeslaStats app. Aiming for bottom 1% one day on a really cold, very brave drive...

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
So far this month I have averaged 310w/mile, that is predominantly diving on the motorway at the speed limit, climate normally set at 19 with fan speed 1/2 some use of seat heaters and driving with passengers and luggage. This is a M3P+ running 20s but I think I'm going to get some 18s, not so much for the increased range but for the better range of tyres.

... though the charging rate in "miles per hour" at a supercharger is much faster than you can drive. That should mean that so long as you have enough charge to reach the next supercharger you can go as fast as you like! Obviously this ignores time lost in driving in and out of locations and starting/stopping charge or with toilet requirements so it may not always work in your favour.

Good point, I’m down in the south coast where we’re not treated to too many Superchargers, so I’m often avoiding using Ecotricity.

Once the network expands a bit I’ll ignore the Wh/mi and just charge when I’m told