Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will be new range of model 3 after battery day?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heat pump will only effect range in weather cold enough to require the heater to be on.

Right, but it can potentially affect the 2-cycle to 5-cycle scaling (see the Model Y EPA range relative to the HWY and City 2-cycle results).

As far as I can tell, with a heat pump, Tesla could technically claim a higher EPA “a la the Model Y” simply because of better 5-cycle results. So they run the 2-cycle test but multiply by a scalar of about 0.75 rather than about 0.7 to get the EPA range.

So they could do this in the short term and have a higher EPA range with no vehicle change (and no change in vehicle range in warm conditions).

Add a new battery of some form and it could push 400 EPA rated at some point (~300 real). But I don’t see that happening soon. We’ll see though! The market is very excited about something!

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Absolutely zero surprise here. Very predictable. (It appears that somehow this was a mild surprise for the market. Really quite amazing.)

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1308148212876812289?s=20

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 2.18.34 PM.png

Last edited:
Well from a future stand point it ups the game a lot. The way those new tab less cells are designed with lower resistance means a huge list of advantages from range, degradation, less heat, charging speed etc. It looks like it will be a few years before it hits the likes of the 3 as in 3???. But one thing is for sure its development will not stop during that time and maybe even surpass those figures shown today. I too would like to see the standard range become 300 miles in all weathers. All of the cars to give you the ability to use the car as a home power reserve with bi directional supply. It is really impressive stuff and I hope it arrives asap. I think I will now wait a while, this technology seems to make most ev's out of date. Especially in combination with the new body and cell integrated design. Well done Tesla now please just do better on the finish too.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
Well from a future stand point it ups the game a lot. The way those new tab less cells are designed with lower resistance means a huge list of advantages from range, degradation, less heat, charging speed etc. It looks like it will be a few years before it hits the likes of the 3 as in 3???. But one thing is for sure its development will not stop during that time and maybe even surpass those figures shown today. I too would like to see the standard range become 300 miles in all weathers. All of the cars to give you the ability to use the car as a home power reserve with bi directional supply. It is really impressive stuff and I hope it arrives asap. I think I will now wait a while, this technology seems to make most ev's out of date. Especially in combination with the new body and cell integrated design. Well done Tesla now please just do better on the finish too.

Maintaining 300 miles of actual range, after the magical 20-30 mile loss in the first year, would be ideal... We all know that estimate only exists when the car is driven off the lot.

Maintaining 300 miles of actual range, after the magical 20-30 mile loss in the first year, would be ideal... We all know that estimate only exists when the car is driven off the lot.

Yes, that's why Elon said that 300 mile battery should really be the minimum and I agree. 400 mile battery would be good for 99% of people in most temperatures and situations. Even if you lost 25% in the winter, you still have 300.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3 and Sam1
So Battery Day was a ton of info, and I must admit I glazed over a few times, but I didn't hear, where do all the Panasonic, LG, and CATL cells go?

Why does the Model 3 get the the low end "iron cathode" battery which Elon stated "iron is good for stationary storage and medium range application where energy density is not paramount"?
Sounds like the Model 2 and Model 3 will get the cheaper, least energy dense batteries, same as the stationary applications.

So Battery Day was a ton of info, and I must admit I glazed over a few times, but I didn't hear, where do all the Panasonic, LG, and CATL cells go?

Why does the Model 3 get the the low end "iron cathode" battery which Elon stated "iron is good for stationary storage and medium range application where energy density is not paramount"?
Sounds like the Model 2 and Model 3 will get the cheaper, least energy dense batteries, same as the stationary applications.

It's all about supply .... how many cells can you make, where do you need them most, and where can you use the rest of your suppliers? How much work would it take to retrofit the older frames to accomodate the new cells? What else changes? What does it accomplish? This isn't exactly like changing batteries in a cordless drill.

Besides - it's not like the current cells are exactly crap. Still better than anything on the market, and will be for years to come.