Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What winter tire & wheel sets are you getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With labor day coming up the big online retailers are sure to have sales for tire packages. I'm already thinking about what winter tires to get to prepare for New England snow.

I don't want this thread to be a debate on which tires are better. I'm looking for ideas on options.

Right now I'm looking at:
Michelin X-ice Xi3 225 /50 R18 99H XL BSW
paired with 18 X8 5-114.30 40 wheels.

Unfortunately none of the websites can confirm a 225mm width will fit. Can the expert out there advise on whether this will work?

Thanks in advance.

With labor day coming up the big online retailers are sure to have sales for tire packages. I'm already thinking about what winter tires to get to prepare for New England snow.

I don't want this thread to be a debate on which tires are better. I'm looking for ideas on options.

Right now I'm looking at:
Michelin X-ice Xi3 225 /50 R18 99H XL BSW
paired with 18 X8 5-114.30 40 wheels.

Unfortunately none of the websites can confirm a 225mm width will fit. Can the expert out there advise on whether this will work?

Thanks in advance.
How could a 225 tire not fit? The stock tire is 235, so I figure anything narrower would fit, right?

Just pre-ordered the 18" TST flow forged wheels after they confirmed fitment for the Performance Upgrade Package and that silly 3mm lip on the center hub of the P+ rotors. Will tire shop eventually, but I will most likely go with 235/45/18 Michelin X-Ice. XL load rating and 40k mile manufacture warranty. I like the Nokians too but they don't appear to have a mileage warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: Markardi
I'm sort of torn if I want to get dedicated winter tires for my M3D or not. I actually want to give the Vredestein Quatrac 5 a try on the 18" Aero rims. They're Grand Touring All-Season tires but rated the three-peak mountain snowflake symbol (3PMSF) which should be, on paper, better than M+S rated tires.

I know they'll never be as good as a dedicated winter tires on snow/ice, but I have a Lexus GX470 with a fresh set of Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2's (265/65R17) from last season that eats snow and ice as an appetizer during our previous winter on drives up into the mountains. Granted, it's an ICE vehicle... But for SUV purposes, will have to serve me until the Bollinger B1's are released and their request to Elon Musk asking if they can use Tesla's Supercharger network ever comes to fruition. ;)

I have 19” OEM rims I’ll either put Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s (235/40/19), or X-Ice3 if I can figure out if there is a size that’ll comfortably fit factory 19”s. I bought X-Ice for my current vehicle last year and they were amazing on snow covered roads and driving in dicey winter conditions; however, driving in those conditions is very unusual for me and my normal day-to-day winter driving on cold pavement felt a bit floaty; I’m thinking the Alpins will serve me better, and feel more responsive, on the Model 3 assuming I don’t do a significant amount of driving on unplowed roads.

Just pre-ordered the 18" TST flow forged wheels after they confirmed fitment for the Performance Upgrade Package and that silly 3mm lip on the center hub of the P+ rotors. Will tire shop eventually, but I will most likely go with 235/45/18 Michelin X-Ice. XL load rating and 40k mile manufacture warranty. I like the Nokians too but they don't appear to have a mileage warranty.
Going with the 18s because they are flow forged vs 19 cast? Might wait until Black Friday for T sportline deal. Lots of good reviews on those Nokian Hakka r2’s. Might have to go with them over mich x-ice regardless of warranty...

I’ve heard amazing things about the Nokian but have real world experience with the x-ice. Have you tried both? Why do you prefer the Nokian if you have.

Unfortunately, this will be the first time I've bought snow tires. I just did a bunch of research and settled on Nokian Hakka R2 - I got these when ebay had there 15% off coupon, which brought my 4 tire cost to $550. So definitely a steal for the price.

I haven't had to buy winter tires for my primary rides in a while, since I could typically work from home if we really got socked with a winter storm and AWD and all seasons got around fine in the lighter stuff.

I started a new job and might have to commute in regardless of weather so I'll be paying attention to this thread. I put Michelin X-ICE on a FWD Honda Fit for our au pair last year and they do great in the snow so that would be my immediate pick as long as it can handle the heavy weight of the Model 3.

I would put winter tires on the factory 18" aero rims and would shop for something lighter in 18 or 19 inches for summer use.

I've had the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 on 2 vehicle (Subaru and Lotus), and while the grip is great in the snow and ice, on normal pavement they are just too floaty and I have to overinflate them to get them to handle okay, but that reduces there grip. On the Subaru it was so bad that I pulled off the road at least twice while driving on the freeway to check to make sure my wheels weren't loose. It made me driver slower on the freeway because the cars handling wasn't predictable, even if the grip was technically sufficient. At slower speeds it was a ton of fun, it was just bad over like 50 mph.

So, from now on, I'll be getting some performance winter tires, not the studless winter tires. In SE Michigan, we don't get that much snow, and it gets cleared usually within a couple days. So, when the roads are just cold, I feel much safer with the performance winter tires, like the WINTER SOTTOZERO 3.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
The best deals on TireRack are usually around Halloween. I use winters on all of my Subarus.

I plan to swap the rubber on the stock 18" Aero wheels from 235/45/18 down to 225/50/18 or 225/45/18. I have had great success with Michelin X-Ice and Alpin PA#. I would also consider Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3.

I put 225/45/18 on 18x8.5" winter wheels for my STI, so 225 will fit the stockers.

• Love
Reactions: natebrownohio