Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's everyones insurance renewals this year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just been quoted over double for my renewal after my first year of a m3 standard range to a whopping £1400/annual 😬 Even on goCompare the usual insurers are absent. Between inflation and availability of m3 orders, I feel this is not a great time for insurance in the UK.

I was with Churchill and paid £314 last year (for a Model 3 Performance). This year they quoted £384 to renew, so I used Compare The Market and got it down to £328 (with Carole Nash). What was interesting was that when I spoke to Churchill, to cancel my renewal, there was absolutely no attempt to negotiate a lower price to keep the business. The chap I spoke to told me that they were getting a lot of Tesla owner cancellations and that the reason their quote was a lot higher was the need for the cars to go to Tesla for repair in the event of accident. Make of that what you will!

• Informative
Reactions: PeteSanders
I got Churchill last year for M3LR with no NCB at £650. This year they have dropped to £480 as 1 year NCB now applies. Happy with that as it compares to others.

My 9+years NCB is on my other car which they enquired about last year and this.

Churchill was £357 last year for my 2019 LR for comprehensive, this year I upgraded to Comprehensive+ on a new 2022 LR to get foreign travel, legal, 2 years of new car replacement and paid £319.

There is no logic to insurance prices, there no way the total risk for you has doubled in a year, just like there is no reason my risk has reduced. The market is corrupt, and insurers work together to unfairly penalise customers. Very british.

Reactions: pgkevet and M1tch
Update: Spent all morning trying to get price down. I'm 6yrs NCB and nearly all the major insurers have decided to flat out decline. Only one I've been able to get close to last years quote is Flow Insurance which I've never heard of.

Unsure if it's just your luck with these quotes or it's related to me moving to salary sacrifice for the Tesla - however it was fine for the first years.

LV last and this year - last year it was £270, this year (June 26) it was £364.
In fairness the £270 quote last year was a quote i did 4 days prior to the 30 days before renewal, I just moved my date of renewal forward by 4 days to get an idea of what the price would be. I did another quote (confused.com) on the 30-day limit and they wanted £345 - so I just started my insurance 4 days earlier and accepted the much cheaper quote, However I am happy with the price and I quite like LV and especially the free tow to a charger if I should ever run out completely (not that i envisage i will ever do that)

I have been with LV= since I got my Model 3 LR in summer 2019. £382 this year, including a fair number of extras (protected max. NCB, Motor Legal expenses), without which £300 on the dot. I got a 5% discount by calling to tell them they were not the cheapest quote I had on renewal. I did indeed have a fractionally cheaper quote, just £5 or so, but I stayed put to save hassle. 63 and max NCB in a low (motor) crime Scottish city.

I got Churchill last year for M3LR with no NCB at £650. This year they have dropped to £480 as 1 year NCB now applies. Happy with that as it compares to others.

My 9+years NCB is on my other car which they enquired about last year and this.

I'm curious about how you can have two different levels of NCB? The NCB entitlement applies to your own claims record not to the car.

Reactions: plisken
I'm curious about how you can have two different levels of NCB? The NCB entitlement applies to your own claims record not to the car.
Insurers will only allow you one set of NCB per vehicle. For example; you build up 9 yrs NCB on a car then buy a second car. You can use the NCB on one car but the other becomes 0 NCB.

This is bonkers as the NCB relates to the driver. But that’s the way they work (stitch us up).

Insurers will only allow you one set of NCB per vehicle. For example; you build up 9 yrs NCB on a car then buy a second car. You can use the NCB on one car but the other becomes 0 NCB.

This is bonkers as the NCB relates to the driver. But that’s the way they work (stitch us up).
Don’t tell Churchill about me then! 😉 (only one car with them but another car with a different insurer… though they do know I have 2 cars)