Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's everyone's take on our nav system?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner, just took delivery of my 90D a week ago so my experience is limited but my initial impression is that this system is far ahead from a user friendliness perspective of any car with integrated nav I've ever owned (Acura, Audi, BMW, Infiniti, VW) - I just got in the car, said where I wanted to go in the microphone and that's it. And everything I have tried works - from a specific street address and town to "McDonald's" or "Lollipop Lane". For me, that is night and day from the nonsense of low-res maps, spinning wheels or sluggish menus or unresponsive voice interfaces I've had in prior cars. Realize that there are many features missing and that some of them like the energy planning are clearly not fully baked but as a non-power-user I wouldn't replace Tesla's system with anything I've seen.

I read that the in-dash map is from Navigon while the touchscreen GUI is Google maps - seems to me that could be a big reason why navigation has been relatively static, I can only imagine the integration issues when you're trying to keep systems from two vendors integrated and in sync, especially when one of them moves as fast as Google.
I'm a new owner too (3rd day). Yesterday morning during morning commute I had my navigation point set through my calendar and it appeared to want to take me through streets I was familiar with but didn't think to take them as I wanted to use the freeway. Does it automatically choose the quickest route or does it take into account the traffic (freeway was stop and go for a bit)?

How is, or often, the Navigon data updated? And is it OTA?

I think most people complain about the navigation because we're spoiled from Google Maps, Waze and Apple Maps (even though they ridiculed when it first came out). I imagine if we're talking about local places to navigate people will complain regardless as they always feel they know a better way to travel. But if you're doing long distance, it's much better since it always have to take into account Supercharger travel unless you're a masochist and prefer L2 charging.

I think the nav system is ok. I use it fairly often if I'm not sure where I'm going, and mostly because its in the car and so easy to use.

I use it a lot on road trips, but not for the directions. I use it because once the car knows where you're going, it can tell you how much electricity you're going to be using, so if you're getting close, you can monitor your energy consumption better so you make it. On roads where I know where I'm going, I'll set the destination and then most often, the nav app gets replaced by music or the energy app on the big screen, and the map in the dash gets replaced with the "trips" widget or the "music" widget.

I've found the charging part of the Nav system to be fairly stupid. On several occasions, its wanted me to return to the Supercharger I just left to charge more, even though the car was already fully charged. Or, it will try to route me hundreds of miles out of the way to hit another Supercharger. I wish it could mesh with Plugshare, or remember non-Tesla charging stations I've used in the past. I find it more humorous than anything else, because even if it could calc the charging and locations, I'd still double check it just to make sure.

The nav system used to have a Round Trip Estimate feature which would show whether there was sufficient charge to go to your destination and return back to the starting point. That feature was removed in 6.2. I find that I miss it when my starting point actually has charging facilities, but there is no ability to charge at my destination.

As others have noted, on long trips the nav system will often pick a route that doesn't make any sense. More than once, on a return trip when I have selected my home address as the destination, it has wanted me to keep going for miles past that destination, charge for 0 minutes at a supercharger, then backtrack home again. But it already knows I can charge at home?! Sure seems like a bug that any "charge for 0 minutes" stop is ever made part of a route.

In any case, I've learned that it's necessary to use the "Remove all charging stops" button to get an expected/reasonable route.

Tesla nav for non mission critical routing. It's not perfect, but gets the job done, and the voice search is second to none. Although a few days ago, it took me to the loading dock of the airport instead of departures. Still use waze/google maps for those times I have to be there.

It's been said a picture is worth a thousand words.

From another thread:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say "I win" for most ridiculous routing by Trip Planner. :)

Here is the routing from my house to Mobile, AL supercharger using Trip Planner - keep in mind it is picking this route when I have 221 miles rated range as my current state of charge (more than enough to reach Mobile via direct routing as seen below):

View attachment 82673

4,565 miles to reach Mobile, AL - here is the direct route:

View attachment 82674

Hmmmmm.... I wonder which way to go....

The nav system used to have a Round Trip Estimate feature which would show whether there was sufficient charge to go to your destination and return back to the starting point. That feature was removed in 6.2. I find that I miss it when my starting point actually has charging facilities, but there is no ability to charge at my destination.

As others have noted, on long trips the nav system will often pick a route that doesn't make any sense. More than once, on a return trip when I have selected my home address as the destination, it has wanted me to keep going for miles past that destination, charge for 0 minutes at a supercharger, then backtrack home again. But it already knows I can charge at home?! Sure seems like a bug that any "charge for 0 minutes" stop is ever made part of a route.

In any case, I've learned that it's necessary to use the "Remove all charging stops" button to get an expected/reasonable route.

If you click on the "arrival time" (I think it's distance left, time left and arrival time or something like that in the bottom of the white box) on the maps on the 17" display, it'll show a popup with estimated charge for a roundtrip.

If you click on the "arrival time" (I think it's distance left, time left and arrival time or something like that in the bottom of the white box) on the maps on the 17" display, it'll show a popup with estimated charge for a roundtrip.
I just tried this, and you are right! I had been clicking on the Trip button, and not the very bottom of the panel where the arrival time is displayed. That does display a round trip estimate popup, which for some reason I thought was gone. Thanks for the good news!

Thank you for answering the question I came here to ask. I went on my first road trip a couple days ago and the nav KEPT routing me to superchargers I didn't need or want. I was not able to override it, but your comment suggests there is a way. I will look harder!

Also a new owner (3 days now). I have noticed a few things. We are looking to make a trip from Tampa to Savannah this weekend and the car routed us up through northern GA to come back down into Savannah. EVTripPlanner suggested we take the Ocala supercharger and then to Kingsland then to Savannah. We have the 60 kwh so the middle trip we will be driving conservatively and charge to 80%-90% at the Ocala supercharger before departing, but it still should be fine.

The other thing I noticed is that in Tampa it sees the new connector (over 1 year old) from I-4 to the Crosstown, but never routes me that way. When I am on the connector it keeps trying to route me on the sub streets below. Also on I-275 south after downtown Tampa it gets lost with the newly redone road. It also keeps trying to route me on side streets not realizing that I am on the interstate. It is quite annoying and I am not sure why it doesn't know that I am on the highway. I find it hard to believe that Google Maps doesn't know in the least that the connector to the Crosstown doesn't exist.

My wife calls the Tesla nav "make a legal u-turn if possible" app because it gets lost all the time. I'm sure they'll fix it at some point but have a backup plan for your trip to Savannah. We use our iPhones but you could also go old school and print it out.

Thank you for answering the question I came here to ask. I went on my first road trip a couple days ago and the nav KEPT routing me to superchargers I didn't need or want. I was not able to override it, but your comment suggests there is a way. I will look harder!
After you've selected a destination and nav is activated, press the Trip button in the nav panel. This will flip the panel to show you the list of superchargers where it wants you to stop. At the bottom of this panel is a button labeled "Remove all charging stops". Pressing that will get rid of the charging stops and recalculate the route.

Also a new owner (3 days now). I have noticed a few things. We are looking to make a trip from Tampa to Savannah this weekend and the car routed us up through northern GA to come back down into Savannah. EVTripPlanner suggested we take the Ocala supercharger and then to Kingsland then to Savannah. We have the 60 kwh so the middle trip we will be driving conservatively and charge to 80%-90% at the Ocala supercharger before departing, but it still should be fine.

The other thing I noticed is that in Tampa it sees the new connector (over 1 year old) from I-4 to the Crosstown, but never routes me that way. When I am on the connector it keeps trying to route me on the sub streets below. Also on I-275 south after downtown Tampa it gets lost with the newly redone road. It also keeps trying to route me on side streets not realizing that I am on the interstate. It is quite annoying and I am not sure why it doesn't know that I am on the highway. I find it hard to believe that Google Maps doesn't know in the least that the connector to the Crosstown doesn't exist.
I'm into my 5th day of ownership and after using the Nav several times now it just doesn't do a good job of navigating. Like you it tends to take local roads rather than freeway. Even after I ignore all the streets they tell me to turn and force it to use the freeway. It STILL gets the wrong exit as it wanted to take the next exit over which would've been backtracking and longer distance. I guess it's back to Google Maps on my Android phone or Waze. I thought at first there was some setting in the apps category for Navigation that would make it go so out of my way and take surface streets that aren't even close to the destination. Turns out whatever algorithm they're using is just terrible. I don't know if it is in-house or Navigon's or somebody else but Tesla needs to seriously need to rethink how it navigates.

After you've selected a destination and nav is activated, press the Trip button in the nav panel. This will flip the panel to show you the list of superchargers where it wants you to stop. At the bottom of this panel is a button labeled "Remove all charging stops". Pressing that will get rid of the charging stops and recalculate the route.
Is there a reason to do that vs just turning off the trip planner feature alltogether?

Is there a reason to do that vs just turning off the trip planner feature alltogether?
For the same reason someone else mentioned upthread: to calculate whether I'll be able to reach a specific destination, and how much charge I'll have left when I get there.

Let's say I'm taking a road trip from A to B. There are two superchargers on the way between A and B, and I will need to stop at one of them. If I simply enter B as my destination, the trip planner will usually tell me to stop and charge at both superchargers. However, I could bypass the first supercharger entirely and arrive at the second with a small amount of range left. If I put in that second supercharger as the destination *and* remove the charging stops, the planner will then give me a good idea of whether I actually have enough charge to reach that specific location. And when I get ready for the final leg of the trip, I'll put B in as the destination (and remove the charging stops again).

Often B won't have charging facilities (120V plug does NOT count as a charging facility in my mind!), so knowing that I can get back to the supercharger from point B is important as well.

I'm into my 5th day of ownership and after using the Nav several times now it just doesn't do a good job of navigating. Like you it tends to take local roads rather than freeway.
I've found just the opposite. The order of preference appears to be toll roads, freeways, surface roads. In the rare cases where it's preferred surface roads, there has been a major accident. In a few cases this has saved a lot of times. However, sometimes it goes out of its way to use toll roads.

- - - Updated - - -

More often then not there aren't any additional charging stops, so the couple of times I've had to clear them don't really bother me.

For the same reason someone else mentioned upthread: to calculate whether I'll be able to reach a specific destination, and how much charge I'll have left when I get there.

Let's say I'm taking a road trip from A to B. There are two superchargers on the way between A and B, and I will need to stop at one of them. If I simply enter B as my destination, the trip planner will usually tell me to stop and charge at both superchargers. However, I could bypass the first supercharger entirely and arrive at the second with a small amount of range left. If I put in that second supercharger as the destination *and* remove the charging stops, the planner will then give me a good idea of whether I actually have enough charge to reach that specific location. And when I get ready for the final leg of the trip, I'll put B in as the destination (and remove the charging stops again).
Sorry, this doesn't make sense to me. With the trip planner disabled, you still get all that functionality. You put the supercharger you plan to stop at as your destination, and the energy graph will show you the usage for the whole trip, when you get there you change the destination to "B" and it shows you that energy graph. I'm not sure what the dance of having the car add charging stops just so you can remove them again gets you.

Often B won't have charging facilities (120V plug does NOT count as a charging facility in my mind!), so knowing that I can get back to the supercharger from point B is important as well.
I'm afraid I haven't figured out how to calculate round trip information in either mode, am I missing something? (because I agree that would be very handy!)