Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's going to be at the 2014 NAIAS Tesla exhibit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps they are doing a good job of keeping it under wraps. I would love to see them tweaking the model shown above and actually putting it in the never before seen production model!

Given the utter lack of news, I'd say Tesla is probably good at keeping secrets… unlike the folks at Cupertino, who have so far not been able to keep much under wraps despite Tim Cook's claim of "doubling down" on secrecy, lol.

Off topic, I know, but I often wonder if AAPL intentionally leaks stuff to stir up demand. Tesla on the other hand seems to have insane demand to satisfy even with no ads and no leaks.

Here are pictures that I took in Hawthorne on 12/27/13.
IMG_1065.jpg
IMG_1067.jpg
IMG_1068.jpg
IMG_1069.jpg

It could be as simple as this:
--They wanted to move the MX prototype somewhere.
--It can drive.
--The "show" wheels are one-offs (well, four-offs anyway).

So, swap the wheels to something common and drive it to the new location for display and put the show wheels back on.

Otherwise they seem identical in every visible detail. The one seen on the street is not a revised MX.

Mass Market Tesla Model E to Bow at 2015 Detroit Auto Show AutoGuide.com News

After reading this it seems likely they will debut a nearly ready Model X. If all they are working on is aerodynamics I think they could give us something to talk about in Detroit.

While I don't doubt their source, the write of the article seemed to not have an in depth knowledge of tesla. Particularly the throwaway mention of them working on a third platform as if the model e isn't part of that

Tesla says they will NOT develop an AWD version for the Model S. There is no point. It's fantastic as it is.
Also, the AWD in the Model X will have far less space available in the frunk as the motor will be in that cubby hole, like you see in the S.
The S and rear wheel drive X will have the cubby hole space, the AWD X will not.

Tesla says they will NOT develop an AWD version for the Model S. There is no point. It's fantastic as it is.
Also, the AWD in the Model X will have far less space available in the frunk as the motor will be in that cubby hole, like you see in the S.
The S and rear wheel drive X will have the cubby hole space, the AWD X will not.

For one thing, they've eliminated the two wheel drive version of the Model X. I don't have any information about an AWD Model S, but I have a hunch you are wrong about that, too.

While I don't doubt their source, the write of the article seemed to not have an in depth knowledge of tesla. Particularly the throwaway mention of them working on a third platform as if the model e isn't part of that

Gen3 @ Detroit 2015 was mentioned by Franz in an interview in Germany a few weeks back, to which TM spokespeople clarified they are not committed to.

"No point" in California, perhaps. I would love to have an AWD Model S for winter driving conditions.

So what? I rarely use that space.

Also there is no RWD Model X now.

Tesla HAS developed an AWD version of the Model S and the only question now is 'when will it be released?'. It's not even a debatable point.

Yes, everyone is well aware that the motor for the front AWD will land in the cubby space of the frunk. Not sure what your point is there. I'm good with that. I don't know anyone who isn't good with that.

The X will only be available as an AWD version.

I'd just get a P85 and not worry about AWD or decreased frunk space.

The frunk in AWD Model X (the only configuration that will be available) will not have the back "microwave" area available for storage as it will be taken up by the second drive unit. It will, however, be significantly deeper because of the surface of the hood in Model X sits significantly higher then in Model S. See pictures below for comparison.

There is more space in the frunk in Model X, and it is more usable space too.

View attachment Model S Frunk.bmpView attachment Model X Frunk.bmp

The frunk in AWD Model X (the only configuration that will be available) will not have the back "microwave" area available for storage as it will be taken up by the second drive unit. It will, however, be significantly deeper because of the surface of the hood in Model X sits significantly higher then in Model S. See pictures below for comparison.

There is more space in the frunk in Model X, and it is more usable space too.

View attachment 40473View attachment 40474

Looks like a hot tub and about as big. PhotoShop Elon in there?