Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's Tesla beef with travelling North?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just looking at the supercharger network on the M1 in particular...why is there practically nothing going north?
Newport Pagnell..south only
Planned charger in Leicester...south only...??
Woodall services...south only
Northampton...dual sided but only 6 bays
Barnsley...dual sided...2 bays only...

I mean I will be well served getting home but getting north seems like more of a PITA then it needs to be...am I over thinking this (wouldn't be the first time)

...fyi M3 sr+ on order, not yet delivered

Reactions: Neilio and NewbieT
I travel up and down the M1 doing a 600 mile round trip at least twice a month and have never had any issues. If your going northbound past Woodall you can come off going north and use the service road that takes you to the south bound side. Getting northbound again you can take the same road or I just go down the m1 for about a mile and turn round at the next exit. Scott corner is good and whilst Washington is a bit of a drive off the m1 it’s very handy for a top up.

I think when Tesla set up the southbound-only sites there was no problem with accessing the southbound via the service roads from the northbound services. However, Highways England have now tightened up on this access, and I believe it is now a points-plus-a-fine offence if you’re caught doing this and you’re not an authorised vehicle.

The long term remedy is for Tesla to set up separate Supercharger sites on the northbound side, but this will take time.

I think when Tesla set up the southbound-only sites there was no problem with accessing the southbound via the service roads from the northbound services. However, Highways England have now tightened up on this access, and I believe it is now a points-plus-a-fine offence if you’re caught doing this and you’re not an authorised vehicle.

The long term remedy is for Tesla to set up separate Supercharger sites on the northbound side, but this will take time.

They certainly wont do it if they dont think its an issue? Where can we give them feedback?

I normally drive north on the A1M then south on the M1.. Herts > Newcastle
Did the M1 North trip at Xmas and had to have a few mile detour to go back south to charge then again to go north, yeah its a pain but very much a first world problem :)

Woodall N -> S has no signs saying you can't, no barriers with codes, and the car tells you this is allowed. I've used it several times because as you say there aren't that many alternatives. There is meant to be a SuC coming at Ferrybridge Services which would be very welcome, however I can do Oxford - Scotch Corner easily on one charge, it's really me that needs the break sooner.

They really ought to get somewhere by Donnington services too, surely there must be viable locations in all those distribution center building car parks.

Interestingly I’m currently travelling north on the M1. ABRP suggests Woodall to charge to get us back to the North East. However the Tesla nav isn’t happy about it at all, and it’s not suggesting Woodall but rather Barnsley. Perhaps the Tesla nav doesn’t send you to the south bound charger if you’re heading north ?

Interestingly I’m currently travelling north on the M1. ABRP suggests Woodall to charge to get us back to the North East. However the Tesla nav isn’t happy about it at all, and it’s not suggesting Woodall but rather Barnsley. Perhaps the Tesla nav doesn’t send you to the south bound charger if you’re heading north ?
Correct it doesn’t. You have to manually select it. Once you take the service road from the north side, it will correct itself and kick into action.