Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the POINT of a glass roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1 for the solid roof. I specifically looked for one without the pano. I hate being hot and can’t imagine wanting mid-day direct sunlight bearing down on me when I’m driving. I too live in the west and expect the experience of sunny skies the majority of days throughout the year plays into this decision making.

Ceramic coating is a waste if you keep a good coat of wax/sealant on your paint. However if you are the type to do that then sure why not splurge on ceramic

So are you saying to forget Ceramic coating because it doesn't work for the intended purpose of reducing internal solar heat? Are you saying the TexasTintMaster guy's measurement is a scam? You're the one who recommended it:

For those concerned with heat from the pano or windshield or trunk or any glass, there are many options on the market for ceramic tint (even clear) that have proven heat rejection properties

I don't know as I don't have it. I assume you do to make the claim it is a waste. The only thing I used on my new MS all over is Bead Maker. It seems to work like RainX I used on my windshields on my other cars. Problem I had with RainX was it rotted the wiper blades so I'm not recommending it. Jury's out on Bead Maker as I just started using it. Doesn't do anything to reduce solar heat.

All day Sunday, I left the cover off to do a second temperature measurement as we had cooler temperatures outside but a sunny, no clouds day. Outside temps at 5PM were 82°F. Inside with Cabin overheat protection off. 124°F. That's 42°F.

@TravelFree For what it is worth, I find that the heating in a Tesla on a sunny day when parked outside seems to come from the hatchback, not the glass roof (the hatchback isn't tinted). Tinting the hatchback has a huge impact on reducing internal temperatures. I also find minimal difference (I have NOT taken temperature readings) between a glass roof Tesla and a solid roof hatchback. I do not disagree that your car is getting hot inside on a sunny day when it is hot outside (every car does this). I just question your ascribing this to having a glass roof on your Tesla and ignoring other potential causes.

Reactions: 2101Guy and croman
So are you saying to forget Ceramic coating because it doesn't work for the intended purpose of reducing internal solar heat? Are you saying the TexasTintMaster guy's measurement is a scam? You're the one who recommended it:

I don't know as I don't have it. I assume you do to make the claim it is a waste. The only thing I used on my new MS all over is Bead Maker. It seems to work like RainX I used on my windshields on my other cars. Problem I had with RainX was it rotted the wiper blades so I'm not recommending it. Jury's out on Bead Maker as I just started using it. Doesn't do anything to reduce solar heat.

All day Sunday, I left the cover off to do a second temperature measurement as we had cooler temperatures outside but a sunny, no clouds day. Outside temps at 5PM were 82°F. Inside with Cabin overheat protection off. 124°F. That's 42°F.

NO. When you stated getting your car wrapped followed by ceramic coating, I interpreted that to mean getting your CAR ceramic coated/a ceramic coating applied on top of the wrap. Coating and wrap, are two totally separate things.

Ceramic tint is a separate topic, and is worthwhile.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Musk removed sun roofs from all cars because Tesla, with all of its genius tech brain trust, could not figure out how to make a functioning sunroof without mechanical problems, noise, and leaks. Forget that other manufacturers make sunroofs without any of those issues, it seems the basics have a way of eluding Musk. The glass roof is just a way to satisfy those who would not have bought without a sunroof option. It's not the same, though. I'm so happy with my 2013 P85's pano roof.

Yet another reason why I will never buy another Tesla.

Musk removed sun roofs from all cars because Tesla, with all of its genius tech brain trust, could not figure out how to make a functioning sunroof without mechanical problems, noise, and leaks. Forget that other manufacturers make sunroofs without any of those issues, it seems the basics have a way of eluding Musk. The glass roof is just a way to satisfy those who would not have bought without a sunroof option. It's not the same, though. I'm so happy with my 2013 P85's pano roof.

LOL. Also, every other automaker in the world has nailed auto windshield wipers. Tesla? Still listed on my MCU as being "beta" WTF

On the other hand, many of us HATE sunroofs because they all have problems with water and noise...either all the time or as they get older. I will never buy a car with an opening sunroof unless I have no choice (that or nothing) because I don't like them. Recognize you feel the opposite, and that's fine. It is a matter of personal preference, but accept that your opinion is just that, opinion, not fact.

I've got the old alpha-personality wiper sensors in my Tesla, and trusty me you do not want them. I'd prefer the easygoing beta personality wipers to my aggressive, wipe-every-shadow alpha go-getters so I just leave the wipers set to off and manually turn them on, no arguments with the hot headed alpha.

The point of the glass roof is cost, interior space, and efficiency since they saved several inches of noise proofing. If you drive an older solid roof Model S, you can tell it's quieter and more cramped with the thicker top.

I've never had any problems with my Panoramic roof.

I've got the old alpha-personality wiper sensors in my Tesla, and trusty me you do not want them. I'd prefer the easygoing beta personality wipers to my aggressive, wipe-every-shadow alpha go-getters so I just leave the wipers set to off and manually turn them on, no arguments with the hot headed alpha.

Yep. ONe would think that at THIS point...functional rain sensing wipers shouldnt need to be "beta". (I mean, it's not like they are helping keep the car from going up onto curbs on smart summon.)Rain sensing wipers have only been a thing for what, 20 years plus by now?

Love my glass roof<-----added to remain on topic

I love my glass roof for many of the reasons mentioned above. It’s the best headroom option (I’m 6’ 5”). Has a great wow factor for passengers though I admit you rarely get the benefit as the driver. The light coming in makes the whole cabin feel more spacious.

I also live in a hot area with summer temps that can approach 115 F (46C). I’ve never had any uncomfortable (or even noticeable really) heat intrusion from the roof.

I am surprised by people who say there is no heat intrusion. I have a Model S with a sunroof, not the single sheet of glass, and it definitely produces a layer of very hot air just at the top of my head, as well as a very cold layer in the winter. Maybe the solid glass roof has thicker glass and/or more tinting and is less of a heat transfer surface than the sunroof. But after 3 years or so, I got tired of the heat and installed the Tesla sunshades, front and back. They help in summer, not so much in winter. I do enjoy having the sunroof open on nice days in spring and fall, but I don't see how people in super-hot places like Texas or Australia can claim the roof does not get hot when it clearly does up here in New England.

Solid glass is that much better. No leaks makes a huge difference. I get way more cold through my doors, especially the drivers door unfortunately.

Solar load is mitigated by coating, uv treatments and metal foil embedded and sandwiched. Creates blood red and orange rain drop effect.

I am surprised by people who say there is no heat intrusion. I have a Model S with a sunroof, not the single sheet of glass, and it definitely produces a layer of very hot air just at the top of my head, as well as a very cold layer in the winter. Maybe the solid glass roof has thicker glass and/or more tinting and is less of a heat transfer surface than the sunroof. But after 3 years or so, I got tired of the heat and installed the Tesla sunshades, front and back. They help in summer, not so much in winter. I do enjoy having the sunroof open on nice days in spring and fall, but I don't see how people in super-hot places like Texas or Australia can claim the roof does not get hot when it clearly does up here in New England.
Are you tall? I'm just wondering since I'm only 5'8" and never notice any heat issue with my sunroof. I can feel a little heat if I hold a hand up a couple millimeters from the glass but if I didn't do that, I would never notice any heat from the glass.

NO. When you stated getting your car wrapped followed by ceramic coating, I interpreted that to mean getting your CAR ceramic coated/a ceramic coating applied on top of the wrap. Coating and wrap, are two totally separate things.

Ceramic tint is a separate topic, and is worthwhile.

OK I think I understand what you are saying. I did spend a good half hour with the shop manager going over what would be done. What we discussed was the ceramic coating on top of the wrap. The wrap to protect against small stones chipping the paint, and the ceramic to increase gloss, and shine. The solar shielding ceramic would be applied to the glass. The total was $4600 + tax. Sound about right? This was a full car treatment including the wheels and mirrors. He said he would need the car for 4-5 days to do the entire process. Once done the Bead Maker is applied over the whole car which improves the slip of the Ceramic. That I will redo myself.

OK I think I understand what you are saying. I did spend a good half hour with the shop manager going over what would be done. What we discussed was the ceramic coating on top of the wrap. The wrap to protect against small stones chipping the paint, and the ceramic to increase gloss, and shine. The solar shielding ceramic would be applied to the glass. The total was $4600 + tax. Sound about right? This was a full car treatment including the wheels and mirrors. He said he would need the car for 4-5 days to do the entire process. Once done the Bead Maker is applied over the whole car which improves the slip of the Ceramic. That I will redo myself.
$4600 for a complete body wrap, ceramic coating to body and wheels, sounds about average.

“solar shielding”. I assume that means “will apply ceramic tint to windows/pano roof”?