Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the record for longest service/loaner period?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tinm

2020 Model S LR+ Owner
May 3, 2015
New Mexico, USA
My car was finished at the service center around August 14th. I dropped it off on Aug 11th. They gave me a loaner (Model X P100D); I am still driving it over a month later. Problem is, the service center is 900 miles away, and my car's still sitting there as they haven't been able to get Fremont to commit to getting a truck to transport my car back to me, and pick up the loaner X and take it back to the service center. We're all waiting on Fremont, who apparently controls truck transport. Service center folks have been great -- the problem seems to be corporate.

I'm curious if other customers have ever had longer wait periods.

Also, do you think I ought to use the "Escalate" feature in My Tesla to see if corporate could help the service center out and get a truck already?

I've had a loaner for 19 days when my car was at the service center. During that time I was driving a Mercedes Benz CLA250 from Hertz. So you've got me beat by more than a week! I wonder if there are folks that have had loaners for months on end?

HUH?! What car do you have in a Tesla garage somewhere that is better than a P100D?

Why not enjoy the free miles? I thought this would be a I can't believe I'm so lucky post..

My car. And not in a garage, exposed to the elements for over a month.

It gets a bit much being responsible for a $166,000 loaner for weeks on end. This thing is awesome don't get me wrong, but it's big, bulky, difficult to transport stuff in, and is a serious electron-guzzler (gentle neighborhood driving gets you 500+ Wh/mi, worse if hilly). I miss my lil' ol' clunker S.

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000
Yeah not only do I not have app access to the loaner, they turned off remote access to my own car 5 weeks ago so I can't check on it from time to time.

That’s standard procedure, called out in the service instructions, when working on Tesla’s (though my local SCs don’t seem to do it, which is nice).

Imagine working on the car when someone remotely honks the horn/flashes the lights/turns on the A/C/opens the sunroof...

At best, very annoying. At worst, dangerous.

UPDATE:

[I don't know if this will get his attention but I'm mentioning @JonMc here in case that works,]

I got my S back last night. Here's a summary of the experience:

• Dropped off car on Aug 11 for emergency service in San Diego (supercharging failed). They couldn't quickly diagnose; we waited all day at the service center and they still were stumped; so they gave us an X to drive home to New Mexico in.
• At some point in late Aug I try to call the service center but of course get the "call center" who do a bang-up job trying to prevent you from actually talking to people at the service center. I tell them since my car is stuck out there in San Diego, I would like to talk to the service manager about POSSIBLY doing the annual service. They tell me they'll pass the message on. Few days later I found out they just went ahead and DID the annual service without discussing with me first! I had told them I only had QUESTIONS for the service manager about annual service, I did not give them permission to go ahead and do it. What a mess. The service manager finds out about this and is clearly frustrated and comps me the annual service. (He's a good guy. Always does the right thing. It's Tesla corporate that is f'd up.)
• On Sep 12th I get an excited text messaging saying they've secured transport for my S back to NM. They say to stay tuned for details the next day.
• Next day comes and goes. Day after that comes and goes. No truck appears. No word from anyone.
• Seems like every time I call the local service center (waiting for 10, 20+ minutes on hold and finally getting intercepted by the call center who patch me into the service center if I seem to pass their test) I get connected to a different person, who I have to explain the whole story to again.
• On Sep 22 I decide enough's enough, I use the "Escalate" in MyTesla to get exec attention, to try to get a truck allocated.
• Within 2 hours I get an email reply from Nolan on the Escalate team, saying he's opened a case, etc.
• That is the last I hear from Nolan. Ever.
• A week goes by. Nolan's email signature had the roadside assistance 877 number as his phone number. I call it the following week.
• They have no idea what the executive care team is for escalations. They don't know any Nolan.
• So I call Tesla Fremont directly, ask for Nolan. They say he has no extension. Receptionist puts me through to someone else, named Mark.
• I give Mark the story. He says he'll look into it. Later he calls and says he's got a truck, stay tuned. Okay, that is helpful!
• BUT... that's the last I hear from Mark.
• I call the San Diego service center. This is on Wednesday of this past week. They tell me the truck left with my S yesterday!
• I ask if truck driver was given instructions about dropping the S off not at house but at local supercharger. Nobody has any idea.
• 900 mile journey from San Diego to northern New Mexico, but nobody knows where truck is or how long it'll take.
• Fri morning, day four of the journey, I get a call from the truck driver, He's somewhere in AZ. He's only halfway to me. Four days.
• Driver had none of the directions or maps I'd given Tesla weeks earlier. I text him directions.
• Oh, and I ask him, you ARE planning to take this Model X loaner back to San Diego, right? Nope, knows nothing about it, he says -- he's continuing east into TX after me. Which means I'd have to hold on to the loaner AND my own car for a further indefinite period.
• I call Tesla in a panic. They patch me through to the San Diego service center. I warn them they gotta fix this, this is "fire" level emergency, the truck isn't planning to return the X. Manager agrees, total cluster$&@^, starts making calls.
• Truck driver gets told by Logistics team to take X back to San Diego :). Truck driver calls me to let me know he'll take the X.
• Truck arrives at Supercharger at 730pm last night.
• My car comes off the 18-wheeler truck trailer: it's filthy. I mean, covered in dirt, like it's been pulled from a swamp. Fingerprints everywhere. Bird poop on the windows.
• Truck driver says of the dirty car, "It's dirty alright. I'd complain..."
• But at least I have the car back. Eight weeks it took. Now I have to wash it.

Bottom line: communications at Tesla are still utter chaos and one train-wreck after another. Nobody knows anything. No-one takes ownership of the problem. The Escalate / Executive Care Team turned out to be a disorganized non-responsive mess though they did help get a truck (I think... I have no idea). The reality is, the Tesla customer has all the responsibility. The Tesla customer has to take the bull by the horns and push, push, push or nothing gets done. Tesla's bureaucracy is as bad as the Social Security Admin or a health insurance company. Plus, the layer of "call center" people they've inserted when you try to call a Tesla service center direct is unhelpful. It's classic Silicon Valley customer-avoidance, and it might look to Elon that everything has been made more efficient since the arrival of @JonMc but from the CUSTOMER'S perspective, it's more work, more delays, more expectations mismanaged, more repeating of long stories to get the latest call center stranger up to speed on this very unusual situation, etc. ALL of this is avoidable, all of it is fixable. Tesla's executive management basically does not care. If they cared they would fix this. It's gone on WAY too long: years and years. As a shareholder I have been concerned about this train-wreck of communications for years, and have said so in TMC repeatedly. Particularly concerned because of the imminent arrival of hundreds of thousands of Model 3 customers, who will NOT be anywhere near as "early adopter" as S and X folks, who are not gonna be anywhere near as forgiving at all the BS the Tesla bureaucracy forces you to endure.

Last edited:
This morning I got a good look at my dirty car. Absolutely tons of bird droppings on it. All of it baked in, especially on the hood.

I took it to a self-serve car wash, hosed it down good with the pressure hose, and hand-washed it with the Opti-Clean stuff I use. The hood looks horrible. Sure, I was able to wipe away (forcefully) most (not all) of the droppings and gunk, but there are "after-images" and spots all over the hood and elsewhere on the car (like on the metal surfaces around the glass sunroof) where no amount of wiping is getting rid of deeply marked paint. I noticed some marks on the back of the car that look like drainage from the back window, down the side of the car, as if water slowly dropped down there, and left a subtle but visble imprint. The car is in bad shape. I guess it really needs a super-professional (super-expensive) detailing.

I'm seriously bummed. But happy to have the car back. After all the semi-reliable automated doors and overbuilt nonsense on the Model X loaner, it's nice to be back in a 2013-era S again :)

This email just arrived. Heh. I mean, on the one hand, 5 stars, on the other hand, 1 star. If I give them five stars, they'll ignore it. If I give them one star, I suspect they'd ignore it as well.

How would you rate this eight week saga?

tsurvey.jpg

Yikes! So sorry to hear of your ordeal, @tinm. Hope you can talk to Tesla - as if you haven't had enough of that - about getting comped for the detailing expense.

I'm no fan of loaners either nor of my car sitting out at the service center - my longest stint was about a week, I believe, while it was getting the Ludi upgrade.

Ok, here are the photos. This is how my car was returned to me after it sat out in the parking lot at the service center for eight weeks because Tesla could not get a truck any sooner. These are unretouched photos taken at night when the truck arrived and delivered my car. I just used an iPhone 6 with its built-in flash.

Look at these photos!

I ask you: if YOU worked at the Tesla Service Center, no matter WHAT your position or rank, and you knew this was the customer car's condition, and you saw the truck arrive to haul it 900mi away, would YOU let the trucker put the car on the truck in this condition, or would you tell the trucker to hold on, and scramble to CLEAN THE CAR!?

The irony here is that if they'd just put the car on a simple, open-air flatbed truck and transported it to me, it'd have probably arrived cleaner because over the course of the four-day journey it'd probably been exposed to some major downpours of rain. Instead, they put this filthy thing on an expensive covered trailer which probably cost the company a fortune and ultimately will cost me a fortune to fix the paint job.

From Clipboard.jpg
From Clipboard 3.jpg
From Clipboard 2.jpg
From Clipboard 4.jpg
From Clipboard 5.jpg
From Clipboard 6.jpg
From Clipboard 7.jpg
From Clipboard 8.jpg
From Clipboard 9.jpg

Last edited:
JFC is all I can say as a new owner and a TMC member for over 18 months (3 Rez second day... ).

Someone needs to have an intervention about Tesla internal comms. If not @JonMc then who?!

What happened to Elon’s memo about ANY employee can talk to ANYONE in the company about anything? I’d think that would cover taking ownership of problems and resolving them.

If I could, and I am very serious, I would move to Palo Alto / Fremont, join the company, and head up the team tasked with fixing the fiasco that is Tesla communications once and for all. As a shareholder, I would consider it in my best interests. As a customer, I would know it would be doing the right thing. In the end, it might just save the company. Because technology, competition, legislative shenanigans, supply-chain outages, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other forces majeure will NOT be the undoing of Tesla: continuation of the communications fiasco is what will be its undoing. And it's fixable. Lemme fix it, Tesla.