Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what's the trick to get autopark to work?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
had autopark for several weeks now and have seen it offer to park in my work's car park just once (it didn't do a bad job of it to be fair).

we have clearly marked bays.

what's the trick to get it to actually offer to park for you? I'm crawling along at 5 mph or so - I thought that's all you needed to do?

Reactions: jecsun
Driving slowly at right angles to the lines and not too far away from them and it should show a space. I take it you had come to a stop when near a space?
Also you can start backing towards a space and it will give you the option to autopark.
well this morning for example I crept past about 4 spaces waiting for it to offer - nothing. stopped - nothing. started parking myself - probably nothing, but wasn't paying so much attention to the screen by then.

this is really cr*ppy, I've paid for: navigate on AP, which doesn't work when it's raining or if there's low sun shining on a camera ,autopark that doesn't even show up 90% of the time and summon, which apart from moving forwards & backwards (if I'm standing at the car door), also doesn't work. sigh.

Upvote 0
well this morning for example I crept past about 4 spaces waiting for it to offer - nothing. stopped - nothing. started parking myself - probably nothing, but wasn't paying so much attention to the screen by then.

this is really cr*ppy, I've paid for: navigate on AP, which doesn't work when it's raining or if there's low sun shining on a camera ,autopark that doesn't even show up 90% of the time and summon, which apart from moving forwards & backwards (if I'm standing at the car door), also doesn't work. sigh.
Now imagine if you paid twice as much for basically exactly the same thing. :(

Upvote 0
I've found the trick is to be actually in the process of already parking, maybe 1/3 of the way in or more, before it uselessly offers to help.
Yes, that's often when it will prompt on the big screen on its own.
But I've found you have to pay attention to the (too) discreet P circled in grey, that will appear on the edge of the visualisation screen when passing next to a parked car, then it will bring up the autopark prompt.

Upvote 0

You also paid for Lane Change, which is worth all the money you paid for EAP in my opinion,

When you say the spaces are 'clearly marked' are there solid lines on 3 sides of the spaces?

1668700687849.png

Reactions: ABQP3D
Upvote 0
For perpendicular back in parking I have found 2 hints. One is you need to about 3-5 feet away from the end of the actual white parking line for the P in a grey circle to pop up. Too close doesn't work nor does too far away. Secondly, you need to go slightly past the actual spot you want to park in so the tail of car is just past the spot for auto park to register. But then again this system does not always work. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
had autopark for several weeks now and have seen it offer to park in my work's car park just once (it didn't do a bad job of it to be fair).

we have clearly marked bays.

what's the trick to get it to actually offer to park for you? I'm crawling along at 5 mph or so - I thought that's all you needed to do?
Simple
Step 1 sell Tesla
Step 2 buy car that uses the Mobileeye system

Upvote 0
I can't say I've ever seen the symbol on screen, I have no trouble parking so not a feature I've ever thought about using - so perhaps I've just not looked at the screen, I see a spot, get into position, then reverse using the door mirrors, never look at the cameras on screen as it's a 2d picture and useless. If it's as good as summon, you will need a shave by the time the car has parked.

Upvote 0
The old system used to come up with a button on the screen.. the new one (since the last year or so) rarely if ever does.

One thing I've seen youtubers do is put it into reverse first.. might try that, but first I have to find a car park with 3 widely spaced white lines per the instructions.. There are none locally.

Upvote 0