Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's up with all the "used" Plaids for sell with less than1,000 miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of ppl prob scrambled orders in when the press caught on to the car, thinking they would be able to flip it given supply chain issues and hype at the time.
Several months later, car shows up, they can’t make a profit,so they either sell right away to cut losses, or drive a bit and sell for whatever they can. Good. Reseller justice, in this case, in a way :)

Or, perhaps they're courtesy "buy back" cars that would otherwise be lemon'ed?

Just 100% speculation, of course, but there do seem to be a LOT of them on ev-tsla.com all of a sudden . . .

But FULL price for a comparable 2022 seems like something out of this world. Do people actually pay that?

Reactions: jebinc
Or, perhaps they're courtesy "buy back" cars that would otherwise be lemon'ed?

Just 100% speculation, of course, but there do seem to be a LOT of them on ev-tsla.com all of a sudden . . .

But FULL price for a comparable 2022 seems like something out of this world. Do people actually pay that?
Well, they wouldn’t by my lemon back. Hopefully they will buy @WilliamG lemon back!

And they're asking for new prices. Dumb dumb dumb. It ain't that hard to find new stock and fly out for a mini-vacation drive back or get it trailered to your door.
Blame Tesla. This is just a byproduct of a market where they **** with prices every other week, combined with a direct sales model. Tesla is the only manufacturer out there that guarantees that all cars are purchased at MSRP, which is why their sales are absolutely bonkers right now because the market is incredibly strong. Anyone that actually can get a car new basically walks out the door with some implied equity even if they pay current market price simply because there's a massive backlog of orders, and some people will pay a premium just to get a car now. Add to that the price going up $15k in the past 8 months, and you've got many folks buying these things for WELL under market value.

Most people also have no clue you can buy inventory cars beyond what is available on Tesla's website, which limits your search to 200 miles. Even for me in the Baltimore area (which includes DC, Baltimore, Philly, NYC, and several other cities), there is ONE Plaid available brand new. Used ones are a rip because they automatically charge for FSD, which is an absolute joke at present for $12k. The brand new ones are usually the rejects - and I'll note the one available in my area is a 2021 - and I don't think I'd want one anyway.

Short answer: uninformed people pay more than they need to. Insane car market makes for some unprecedented opportunities for car flippers.

Reactions: Xeux
The way I see it, what we are seeing is a combination of unmet demand and adverse selection at play. A bunch of disgruntled Plaid owners likely wanting to get rid of their vibrating and battery-issue laden cars to unsuspecting Tesla virgins.

Won't point fingers but I'd bet my left nut there are some members on these forums trying or have already offloaded their Plaid lemons without voluntarily disclosing these issues. In doing so, they themselves become the very thing that got them there - a seller knowingly selling substandard goods to unsuspecting customers. One part poetic, one part cognitive dissonance, two parts hypocritical, just a bad sitch all around.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMPd and jebinc
The way I see it, what we are seeing is a combination of unmet demand and adverse selection at play. A bunch of disgruntled Plaid owners likely wanting to get rid of their vibrating and battery-issue laden cars to unsuspecting Tesla virgins.

Won't point fingers but I'd bet my left nut there are some members on these forums trying or have already offloaded their Plaid lemons without voluntarily disclosing these issues. In doing so, they themselves become the very thing that got them there - a seller knowingly selling substandard goods to unsuspecting customers. One part poetic, one part cognitive dissonance, two parts hypocritical, just a bad sitch all around.
I can’t speak for all people, but I’m definitely part of the disgruntled. That said, as I await my buyback I’m definitely pretty open about it.

Reactions: Drew-MS

What sort of issues are they having?

Most people also have no clue you can buy inventory cars beyond what is available on Tesla's website, which limits your search to 200 miles. Even for me in the Baltimore area (which includes DC, Baltimore, Philly, NYC, and several other cities), there is ONE Plaid available brand new. Used ones are a rip because they automatically charge for FSD, which is an absolute joke at present for $12k. The brand new ones are usually the rejects - and I'll note the one available in my area is a 2021 - and I don't think I'd want one anyway.

Short answer: uninformed people pay more than they need to. Insane car market makes for some unprecedented opportunities for car flippers.
Someone who's interested in one of the low mileage refresh can ask Tesla to remove the FSD and the price should drop by $12k. They did it in the past so I'm just guessing that things haven't changed. Some people (like me) have no interest in FSD and I wouldn't want to pay $12k for something I won't use. Maybe in the future my feelings about FSD will change but it's not there yet.

Reactions: Neon001

I'm sorry to hear about the problems some (WilliamG, Jebinc) have been dealing with and I hope it all works out. That being said, I'm going to speculate that at least 90% of folks who have taken delivery of a refresh haven't had any real problems and are happy with their car. Of course including the owners not on TMC.

Reactions: jebinc