Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the car used, but people have a hard time telling it is used. The interior and exterior look fantastic. I expect to get a lot of miles out of this car. We put 250 on it today. I've said a few times that I wouldn't be upset with the highest mileage Tesla on the road.

Dec 2014 P85D with .249

Sport Mode, Range Mode ON: 231 miles at 90%

Insane Mode, Range Mode OFF: 226 miles at 90%

(The change in the range is not instantaneous with settings changes but, seems to settle at these numbers after a few days of maintaining the settings and a few charge cycles)

Dec 2014 P85D with .249

Sport Mode, Range Mode ON: 231 miles at 90%

Insane Mode, Range Mode OFF: 226 miles at 90%

(The change in the range is not instantaneous with settings changes but, seems to settle at these numbers after a few days of maintaining the settings and a few charge cycles)
I also have a December 20, 2014 build for my P85D, .250. I have not checked for Insane mode differences.
at 90% SOC I have 235 miles Rated Range, Sport, Range Mode off.
FWIW, a few upgrades back I had lower Rated Range, but I do not recall the version. In March my Sport rated Range at 90% was typically 230 miles +/- 2 miles or so. My impression, not verified by accurate measurement, is that my actual experience has improved also.
My lifetime watts/mile is 340 (5200 miles), but recently I have been getting more like 320 with no particular difference in driving style or conditions.

As with all li-ion the SOC estimates need the odd recalibration. I have neither gone above 90% nor below 20% during the last 2000 miles so it is likely that range and SOC calculations need recalibration. I am unsure about that because we seem to have no clear idea about the battery equalization process in our battery packs. Other things remaining equal calibration should be stable if equalization is also stable. There are a couple of threads with lots of detail about that issue, none of which are sufficiently definitive, IMHO, to decide whether the occasional deep cycling might have enough benefit to outweigh the wear and tear. Were these ni-cads or other chemistry with memory there would be no question.

Are there any informed views about that issue? If so, how much impact might equalization have on reported SOC and range calculations?

I also have a dec 2014 p85d on .250. 90% SOC rated miles insane mode range mode off is 223. Lifetime watts/mile is around 390. What is your ideal reading at 90%.

I have a little over 14k miles on mine