Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at a cell discharge curve earlier today got me thinking. Folks who cycle their packs 70->30 daily, are spending all their time in the linear region of the curve. Folks who charge up to 90% daily are seeing their cell voltages rise to the non-linear, steeply curved region. Could it be that this non-linearity of the discharge curve is what makes it difficult for the range algo to estimate capacity? Also might explain why owners that deep cycle their packs down to the low end extremes also generally see improved range (as this is also non-linear and curved).

Thoughts?

Really guys, no thoughts on this? This is the first time it's been suggested to the best of my knowledge. And it may very well explain the decreasing range problem to a large extent.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 140
Really guys, no thoughts on this? This is the first time it's been suggested to the best of my knowledge. And it may very well explain the decreasing range problem to a large extent.

Plausible. I expect any time the algorithm can recalibrate based on a large amount of coulombs entertaining the pack (I.e. Full charge from near "empty") the more accurate the CAC and rated range remaining

Not with my battery. I have a red P85+ loaner right now and my car in the morning. The loaner battery that was in my car only did 240 miles at 100% (but still charging), which is why I declined the offer to just keep the loaner battery.

My A-Pack failed and they gave me a loaner B-Pack for 6-months while my pack was being refurbished. I pleaded to keep the loaner battery and even offered to pay the difference in value, but they would not budge nor would they give me a price figure. At the end, I got my old pack back and Supercharging is slow and range is stuck at 228 @ 90%. The thing is my A-pack did not "degrade" down to this level. It happened overnight after a very early firmware update in late 2013. We saw no range loss up to that point and then a sudden drop after the charge "slider" was introduced.

Plausible. I expect any time the algorithm can recalibrate based on a large amount of coulombs entertaining the pack (I.e. Full charge from near "empty") the more accurate the CAC and rated range remaining

That might be part of it. But it doesn't explain why someone who daily cycles 90->70 sees better range numbers than someone who cycles 70->30. The latter having a larger amount of coulombs entering and exiting the pack. The only difference between the two that I can see is the guy charging to 70 every day is not touching the non-linear region of the discharge curve and this, overtime, "degrades" the range est.

Patent US8004243 - Battery capacity estimating method and apparatus - Google Patents

So that's how they calculate SOC, but unfortunately it provides little insight into how a rated range value is derived from that.

That might be part of it. But it doesn't explain why someone who daily cycles 90->70 sees better range numbers than someone who cycles 70->30. The latter having a larger amount of coulombs entering and exiting the pack. The only difference between the two that I can see is the guy charging to 70 every day is not touching the non-linear region of the discharge curve and this, overtime, "degrades" the range est.

So that's how they calculate SOC, but unfortunately it provides little insight into how a rated range value is derived from that.

The patent is actually how they calculate CAC (though SoC is a continuous factor in the algorithm) CAC is directly related to remaining range calculations... CAC gives you usable kWH remaining gives you rated miles remaining (just by conversion / scaling factors)

But yeah, the "flat" part of the curve where cell voltage doesn't change as drastically with Ah discharged may be harder for the algorithm to track (if delta V on cells/pack is an important weighted variable to the CAC algorithm)

Most of my charge/discharge cycles are between 90 & 80 percent, and the times I see the 90 number improve at all is doing deeper cycling of the pack. 37k+ miles my 90 is now 226 (range mode on)

My new 70D has pretty consistently been giving me 216/240 at 90/100% charges. I'm happy with that. 3X my Leaf range (when new). No more range anxiety for me! Now if I can just get the efficiency up to about 250W/Mile like I had in the Leaf. I'm running closer to 300W/M at the moment.
BTW, its fascinating how many screen names I recognize from the MNL Leaf forum. :cool:

Why all this talk about rated/typical range? The right way of showing an actual loss of range or degredation of the battery pack would be to check how many kwh it is possible to charge the battery pack with. Half a year ago when my S85 was new I was able to charge 79 kwh and now it is only 76 kwh. It actually fits proportionally with my loss of typical range which has gone from 246 miles to 238 miles at 100%

Hopefully someone will read this and provide an answer. There are so many threads about range I don't know where to start.
I have driven my P85D for about 6 weeks now. I drive 53.5 miles each way to and from work so I already have 3500 miles on it. I have the Tesla wall charger 240/40 and at 90%, it's always 225-227 rated range when I get in the car in the morning. It's been in insane mode since day one until today when I shifted to sport mode. I take the same route to work. For about the first 4 weeks I'd always be a 172-174 rated range when I'd arrive at work. It's almost all highway driving but there is a lot of road construction on the route. The last three days my rated range upon arriving at the office is in the very low 160s (161 this morning after starting at 227).

It's getting colder out but not cold enough that I set the temperature above 66 on the driver's side. Is this 10 mile swing for a 54 mile trip common? Thanks.