Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I havent read thru this whole thread, but wondering what the conclusion is putting all these data points together. What's the base case assumption for decay of battery over time? I.e., can we say with any certainty that Tesla batteries will likely decay 10% over 100k miles?

There are a number of threads discussing this, some even with graphs showing data on cars of all ages and mileage. Plug In America has done some surveying and has some good data here. I think that most see a relatively big drop in the first year, then the degradation curve levels off. I've seen about 9% after 2.5 years / 60,000 miles, but most of that occurred near the end of the first year.

Has any brave soul kept their car charged to 100% for several days? A post in a thread regarding battery degradation at TM Forums over a year ago, or it could have been here, indicated that their local service center suggested keeping the car charged to 100% for a week in order to work its magic balancing trick. I'm curious if anyone has done that, either intentionally or by accident, and what impact, if any, it had on your range estimate?

I have only let mine balance to 100% twice and then drove it within 30 minutes. On a side note I picked up a P85 loaner (vin P05xxx) from the Service Center and it was charged to 100% (no idea how long) and it had a rated range of 268 miles! Don't know if it's a referb pack or not but I wish mine had that capacity.

I have only let mine balance to 100% twice and then drove it within 30 minutes. On a side note I picked up a P85 loaner (vin P05xxx) from the Service Center and it was charged to 100% (no idea how long) and it had a rated range of 268 miles! Don't know if it's a referb pack or not but I wish mine had that capacity.

Yes, I asked service about why their older loaners still show 265 miles or more at 100%. The answer was that there is a super secret way to "reset" the range estimate and force the system to recalibrate. When I asked if they could do that to my car, he said no. The car at the Tesla Gallery is always kept constantly charged to 100% day in and day out, and it also shows full range with no degradation.

Yes, I asked service about why their older loaners still show 265 miles or more at 100%. The answer was that there is a super secret way to "reset" the range estimate and force the system to recalibrate. When I asked if they could do that to my car, he said no. The car at the Tesla Gallery is always kept constantly charged to 100% day in and day out, and it also shows full range with no degradation.

Good salesmanship I guess.

somehow i doubt that.

Has any brave soul kept their car charged to 100% for several days? A post in a thread regarding battery degradation at TM Forums over a year ago, or it could have been here, indicated that their local service center suggested keeping the car charged to 100% for a week in order to work its magic balancing trick. I'm curious if anyone has done that, either intentionally or by accident, and what impact, if any, it had on your range estimate?

the more I think about it, the less I think it has anything to do with balancing. It's all about voltage mapping and how the charge curve is non-linear, thus making extrapolation from lower SOC more difficult. By keeping your pack at > 90% for longer periods you are simply training the range estimate to better recognize this non-linearity and more closely match the true SOC. This is evident when you charge to 100% and the car reaches "100%", but the cell voltages are still substantially lower than 4.2 V and the car continues to charge at 40 amps. Thus, the car anticipated 100% prematurely.