Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
fb94cd4c9e38e8587c3a646cc2d4290e.jpg

Full range charge before leaving on trip. Flipped over 30k. Full charge was 240 with range mode off. Get about 217 at 90 percent. Late December p85d.

6 month old 70D with about 15k miles. RR@90% started in the 214-218 range and settled at 214 within the first few weeks. Then it quickly started dropping... 213... 212... ..... 207.

Recently charged to 97% and brought it down to 3% on a trip, and coupled with the warmer weather my 90% is back to 212 miles. And even that I think might be a calibration issue, on the trip home going to do another 100%-almost 0% charge

6 month old 70D with about 15k miles. RR@90% started in the 214-218 range and settled at 214 within the first few weeks. Then it quickly started dropping... 213... 212... ..... 207.

Recently charged to 97% and brought it down to 3% on a trip, and coupled with the warmer weather my 90% is back to 212 miles. And even that I think might be a calibration issue, on the trip home going to do another 100%-almost 0% charge

Might be. I just finish charging to 99% to prepare for a long road trip. It finished at 230 miles. My guess 100% would be around 233-234...

I have a Model S 90D. When I picked up from the dealership, they did a 100% charge, showed 278 miles. At home I have done 90% charging on high power wall charger (80 amp), one night it was 258, right now 254. Not sure what the difference would be, only had it for about a week, a little over 300 miles on it.

I have a Model S 90D. When I picked up from the dealership, they did a 100% charge, showed 278 miles. At home I have done 90% charging on high power wall charger (80 amp), one night it was 258, right now 254. Not sure what the difference would be, only had it for about a week, a little over 300 miles on it.

1. It is learning your driving style to become more accurate.
2. Temperature
3. It isn't actually that accurate, could be more less after start driving and using the pack.

Model S 90D two week spreadsheet results:

90% yields 256 mi every day (including the last 6 days) except
- 2 days 257 miles
- 1 day 255 miles
- 1 day 80% yielded 228 miles
Home HPWC @ 79A of 80A
No 100% charge
ODO: 526 miles
Warm Texas weather

(We'll see how long this holds up. )

1. It is learning your driving style to become more accurate.
2. Temperature
3. It isn't actually that accurate, could be more less after start driving and using the pack.

Thanks for the explanation. I actually had been selecting 90% on the app and when I got in the car and went to charging screen it apparently was slightly below the 90% markers. So I changed it to 90% on the center console and now charged up to 257. Maybe because scale is so small on app it was hard to see if I really picked 90%. Wish it also showed a numerical value in addition to graph to be more precise

You should browse through and keep track of the following:

90D Range slowly declining

I do not believe that those two factors have any influence on the rated range value.
This appears to be how my car works as well. The range stays consistent regardless of temperature or driving style. As far as I can tell, it's based on the EPA range using a changing algorithm that estimates SOC.

Driving style and temp have noting to do with rated range

I do not believe that those two factors have any influence on the rated range value.

I agree that driving style has not been proven to affect rated range, some people theorize it might, but there's no proof (and I have my doubts).

Flasherz has shown that the rated range fluctuates with outdoor temperature over a 2 year period.

Mike Tuccelli | DECEMBER 28, 2015
This morning it's at 263. Three hundred miles ago it was at 253. Strange!
It was 256 new.
I wonder if it had anything to do with it but in "the old days" we were told to "floor it" to "blow the carbon out of the system". When I got my 90D in November I never had "tested " the pickup but last night I beat a red light with a heady acceleration surge. Did that momentary one time energy surge have anything to do with an increased 10 mile indicated range?
Just a wild guess.