Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a P85D with similar 90% charge rated miles to a 70D, at about 40-50% cheaper?

It's not as simple as that. In order to get rated range on the 70D, you have to get 254 wh mile. If you you're getting 307 wh / mile, your only getting 83% of rated. My lifetime average hovers right around 300 which is the rate needed to get the rated range. So I'm getting 100% of rated.

I can guarantee you I'd much rather be in an P85D vs a 70D for a long distance haul. And if that haul is uphill, the efficiency difference narrows even more as the larger motor of the P85D becomes more efficient.

You see this for yourself with something like evtripplanner.com.

If I route from Merced, CA to Dodge Ridge, CA and then back(full round trip) with a speed X of 1 and temps at 65 each on a 70D, it predicts 237 wh / mile which is 107% of rated or 256 total miles of range.

For a P85D, it's 257 wh / mile or 116% of rated or 293 total miles of range.

If you change destination to Fresno, CA, the 70D comes in at 88% of rated vs the P85D at 92% of rated. The P85D is still more efficient compared to the 70D at rated but the difference is a smaller than a round trip into the mountains.

image.jpeg

237 90%
260 100%
6-2015 delivery with 21,250 miles

Right now my 90% is 218 miles. Seems low to me but then I generally set my SOC to 70%. Could this be pack imbalance, seems likely if I've been charging to 70% for quite some time? If so, what is the best (safest) way to re-balance the pack?

Charge it to >93% SOC, which evidence suggests triggers the balancing process. Once balancing is triggered, it will continue over the period of perhaps several days, burning energy off through bleed resistors at a very slow pace. You can begin driving immediately once you get beyond 93% SOC, and balancing will continue. Moreover, the SOC can be at any value once triggering happens.

Charge it to >93% SOC, which evidence suggests triggers the balancing process. Once balancing is triggered, it will continue over the period of perhaps several days, burning energy off through bleed resistors at a very slow pace. You can begin driving immediately once you get beyond 93% SOC, and balancing will continue. Moreover, the SOC can be at any value once triggering happens.

My Feb 2013 build car with A-pack (65,000 miles) has been between 220 and 217 Rated Miles at 90% for at least a year and a half now. None of these tricks has worked at all for me. There seemed to be a rather sudden drop down to the 218 range, but it has stayed steady there for some time.

I switched my display to show battery SOC rather than Miles and my stress level has dropped significantly :wink:

My Feb 2013 build car with A-pack (65,000 miles) has been between 220 and 217 Rated Miles at 90% for at least a year and a half now. None of these tricks has worked at all for me. There seemed to be a rather sudden drop down to the 218 range, but it has stayed steady there for some time.

I switched my display to show battery SOC rather than Miles and my stress level has dropped significantly :wink:

Well, of course all that means is that your pack is likely balanced just fine. In your case, especially since I believe you were charging to something like 70% or 80% for quite awhile, your numbers are likely off just due to algorithm issues.

Could be, but I even tried the "near zero to 100% a few times" trick also to no avail.
I wonder if these cases require going sub-zero to really correct the algorithm. Personally, as I also regularly charge to nothing higher than 80, I'm in the same boat. I'm not about to test it (I don't want to be stranded and there's no reason to artificially stress the pack just to recalibrate the "centering" of the SOC algo) but I believe that vehicles that regularly stay in the center (linear) portion of SOC are the ones that build up a substantial sub-zero mile capacity. Hopefully Tesla will eventually come through with their improved calculations, to correct this.

Could be, but I even tried the "near zero to 100% a few times" trick also to no avail.

@mknox - IIRC, you lost the majority of those miles following a warm summer where you'd regularly charged to 70% or somesuch. I did the same thing last summer, "lost" quite a few miles as expected, and I have yet to see those miles return. I've done several range charges and deep cycling, etc. There must be some very stubborn hysteresis in the range algo as I'm hard pressed to believe that all those miles could've been lost after one summer.

I wonder if these cases require going sub-zero to really correct the algorithm. Personally, as I also regularly charge to nothing higher than 80, I'm in the same boat. I'm not about to test it (I don't want to be stranded and there's no reason to artificially stress the pack just to recalibrate the "centering" of the SOC algo) but I believe that vehicles that regularly stay in the center (linear) portion of SOC are the ones that build up a substantial sub-zero mile capacity. Hopefully Tesla will eventually come through with their improved calculations, to correct this.

I can believe this. I've never taken mine below ~3% and recently I certainly haven't gone below 5%. Having said that, there are several folks who regularly charge to 90% with shallow cycles and they don't seem to lose rated range. I'll be interested to read what the BMS estimates as my full pack capacity once I get my CAN logger setup.

@mknox - IIRC, you lost the majority of those miles following a warm summer where you'd regularly charged to 70% or somesuch. I did the same thing last summer, "lost" quite a few miles as expected, and I have yet to see those miles return. I've done several range charges and deep cycling, etc. There must be some very stubborn hysteresis in the range algo as I'm hard pressed to believe that all those miles could've been lost after one summer.

Yes, that was me. Two summers ago I charged to 70% overnight and returned from my rather long commute at the end of the day with around 30 - 40%. I did this because I'd read that the batteries liked it best when you played in the center of their range. It was later when I needed a 90 or 100% charge that I noticed it had dropped. I tried all the "tricks" to recover it and was never able to. I'm not sure if it was a summer of 70 to 30% charging that did it or whether it was just the natural early degradation drop that I have also read is to be expected.