Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a refresh S90D that's approaching 2 months old. My 90% has been around 268-269 and if I drive carefully my actual range is a few miles below that. Since the last update it's changed a bit. The first time I drove it after the update, the range was only 264 and my actual range was around 250. When I got home, the HPWC wouldn't charge the car. It had red lights and the charging port turned red.

I finally turned off the breaker and rebooted the HPWC. After that I've been consistently getting 270 miles at 90% and the actual range running errands around town is almost exactly the same as the rated miles. I did 9.1 miles of in town driving today and it said I had 261 range left when I got home. I'll see what it does highway tomorrow, I have to go down to Salem, OR and back.

I have a refresh S90D that's approaching 2 months old. My 90% has been around 268-269 and if I drive carefully my actual range is a few miles below that. Since the last update it's changed a bit. The first time I drove it after the update, the range was only 264 and my actual range was around 250. When I got home, the HPWC wouldn't charge the car. It had red lights and the charging port turned red.

I finally turned off the breaker and rebooted the HPWC. After that I've been consistently getting 270 miles at 90% and the actual range running errands around town is almost exactly the same as the rated miles. I did 9.1 miles of in town driving today and it said I had 261 range left when I got home. I'll see what it does highway tomorrow, I have to go down to Salem, OR and back.
@wdolson - what is your firmware version?

That's outstanding. I have a four month old S90D and my 90% is about 260 and was only 264 when new.

2015 S85 with 10,598k miles
7.1 (v2.28.19)

At 90%
rated range - 242.1
estimated - 241.5
average - 305.3

We usually leave the charge at 60% for a few weeks, then up it to 89% for the next few weeks. After that, we lower it back to 60% and repeat the cycle over again.
At times when we have a longer trip planned, we will charge up to 90%
Most of the charging has been from home, aside of a few major SC trips. It has never seen anything higher than 90% or lower than 20%.

Just took delivery of a 2013 CPO S60 with 38.5K miles. Fully charged by Tesla with 196 miles out the door. Put 50 some miles on it commuting then charged it to 90% overnight, getting 177 miles now. I'm pretty happy with those numbers.

I charged to 90% last night and got 219 reported by the app, the dash read 220.
Pretty low, but probably balance/algorithm issues. I haven't been below 40% in a months, nor over 90% in even longer. I often charge to 70%.
Just shy of 70k miles, VIN 17xxx.
I'm planning an extensive road trip soon so I expect the numbers to change a little.
I just got home today from my trip from MA to CA and back, with a few side trips. 8096 miles total.
I range charged to 245 miles at 100% before I left. 90% was consistently 221 miles.
The lowest I got down to was 14 miles, and I did charge to 100% once more during the trip. I always beat EVTripPlanner's energy use, and often did better than range miles, even using AC driving 70 or 75.
My longest leg was 266 miles from Old Faithful (plug share) to Sheridan SC. That was a real nail biter until I gained 15 miles coming off the mountain just before the end. Finished that one with 42 left!
So my 90% didn't change like I thought it would, but it doesn't really matter. It seems I can go about anywhere in this thing!

Reactions: Boatguy
P85DL, current 90% Rated Range is 225. I always operate the car in Ludicrous mode. When I took delivery late in May 2015 and for several months thereafter, my 90% Rated Range was consistently 227 miles. By December 2015 typical 90% had dropped to 224. In 2016, the 90% dipped a few times to 223. It then gradually reversed the trend, holding steady at 224, then rising to 225 the last time I set 90%, a few days ago in late July 2016. Car has 7055 miles on the odometer. The 100% level also reversed its downward trend, rising from 249 earlier this year to 251 when I set a full charge a few weeks ago. When new, a100% charge would register 253 miles of range. The period when the mileage improved coincides with my decision to routinely charge only to 80%, which I dropped after a few months down to 70% routine daily charge. This may or may not explain why the range numbers improved. Last noted firmware change went to Firmware v 7.1 ( 7.1(2.24.86) installed around 062416

• Helpful
Reactions: msnow
P85DL, current 90% Rated Range is 225. I always operate the car in Ludicrous mode. When I took delivery late in May 2015 and for several months thereafter, my 90% Rated Range was consistently 227 miles. By December 2015 typical 90% had dropped to 224. In 2016, the 90% dipped a few times to 223. It then gradually reversed the trend, holding steady at 224, then rising to 225 the last time I set 90%, a few days ago in late July 2016. Car has 7055 miles on the odometer. The 100% level also reversed its downward trend, rising from 249 earlier this year to 251 when I set a full charge a few weeks ago. When new, a100% charge would register 253 miles of range. The period when the mileage improved coincides with my decision to routinely charge only to 80%, which I dropped after a few months down to 70% routine daily charge. This may or may not explain why the range numbers improved. Last noted firmware change went to Firmware v 7.1 ( 7.1(2.24.86) installed around 062416

Your rated range probably started going up because you charged to 100%. It's good to charge to 100% once in a while if you're going to drive it right away. The batteries don't like to sit at 100% charge, but charging to 100% conditions and balances the battery pack. If the range starts to drop, it's a good idea to charge it to 100% a couple of times and see if it improves.