Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Model S 100D 301 miles
346CD89C-A832-4551-AD1E-D6424EB1A899.jpeg
7C76487D-9EC0-4B06-AFA2-F5EFE91D77E6.jpeg

Posted June 7th 2018.

Have a 2016 refresh S75D upgraded from a S70D. 90% was about 236 mi once upgraded. Have 92,000 on the clock in less than two years (yes I drive a ton!) Lots of east coast and mid-west trips. The 90% had dropped to about 212 mi and slow supercharging. Service center indicated that a couple of modules were reporting issues and they sent my pack to be rebuilt. Currently on a loaner 75 that reports 239 at 90%.
Are you using ideal or rated range? I thought a 75D at 100% was 259 miles. 90% of that is 233.

My Q3 '16 S75D with 20k miles is showing 226 miles at 90%

My 90% has recently risen to 235. A value which I haven't seen since 2015. The only logical takeaway is 90% is a meaningless value, not really representative of anything. The real thing to know is what % the car shuts down at.
I do not believe the 90% test is valid on the at least the 90kwh batteries. I have found that the BMS is using nominal capacity to calculate remaining rage down to 80% so as to hide the battery degradation of the 90kwh batteries.

Reactions: Kacey Green
I do not believe the 90% test is valid on the at least the 90kwh batteries. I have found that the BMS is using nominal capacity to calculate remaining rage down to 80% so as to hide the battery degradation of the 90kwh batteries.

What do you mean down to 80%? Perhaps this has something to do with the behavior I have been seeing for a couple months now - charge to 90%, minutes/hours after charge ends, the car starts reporting that's it's now sitting at 91% or higher.

My 90% on my 90D hasn't changed in 2 years, but from everything I can see it's reporting correctly. I get very close to rated range in warm weather (lower in the winter of course). I just checked the car with Visible Tesla and it's at 90% and 268.5 miles of range. I bought new tires about a month ago and I was beating rated range a little with the old, worn tires.

My 90% on my 90D hasn't changed in 2 years, but from everything I can see it's reporting correctly. I get very close to rated range in warm weather (lower in the winter of course). I just checked the car with Visible Tesla and it's at 90% and 268.5 miles of range. I bought new tires about a month ago and I was beating rated range a little with the old, worn tires.

It's violating the laws of physics for the REAL capacity to not have changed in 2 years. I'm afraid to get my car under 10% now. It's never a good time to find out what the real capacity is.

What do you mean down to 80%? Perhaps this has something to do with the behavior I have been seeing for a couple months now - charge to 90%, minutes/hours after charge ends, the car starts reporting that's it's now sitting at 91% or higher.

It's violating the laws of physics for the REAL capacity to not have changed in 2 years. I'm afraid to get my car under 10% now. It's never a good time to find out what the real capacity is.

My pack was just changed this week, it hit the same 90% when they charged it in the service center as it has in the past, when I pick it up tomorrow I'll find 90% & 100%. The pack was swapped due to high internal resistance

So, if you have a 90kwh battery and access to the CANbus, you'll see that the value Range Remaining is actually calculated based on the BMS reported "Nominal Capacity" (includes unusable brick protection). However, once you start driving and you get below 80%, this Range Remaining begins a correction using some number between nominal and usable, down to 20% where it ends up using what it should; just Usable Capacity.

Nominal includes the 4kwh brick protection you can't use. And 0% = 0% Usable (Nominal will read 4kwh remaining when battery reports 0% to the driver).