Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your next EV after Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It me. My emphasis is on the "U" part of "SUV" (or CUV, if you prefer). I haven't actually dinged or scratched the outside yet, but it doesn't bother me at all to shove a load of 10' lumber inside. Yeah, it goes all the way to the front, and scuffs the armrest and side of the seat, but the whole reason I got it instead of a 3 is so it can carry a lotta stuff!
I try to be pragmatic. I take care of the car, but still expect to use the hell out of it. I regularly carry 8' lumber in my 3, but I do put down a padded blanket first :)

I personally am looking at the Genesis GV60 or Lexus RZ just for more comfort/tech (carplay, 360 camera) but mainly cabin noise. I charge from home and rarely use the supercharger network.

So what's your next EV besides a Tesla and why?
We saw a GV60 last week. I thought it was a Macan at first. The back looks better than the front though.

As far as the next EV, I would love a Cybertruck, but at this rate, it will be a Ford F150 Lightning or the Chevy Silverado EV.

The only reason it won’t be a Tesla (likely an S) is if I decide I just want a new beater …… in which case it will be a Bolt ……. Unless a cheaper but functional alternative shows up. But every time I think about doing that, I figure I’ll just end up with another beater I never want to drive because I love driving my Y so much. I keep having to jump the battery on my HR-V because I start the thing so infrequently. So ……. Probably an S.

… have you road tripped both your Taycan and your Y? You have a preference for which you take out?
The Taycan is more enjoyable to drive.
The Y is bigger for luggage.
We normally take the Taycan on trips unless we have a boatload of luggage which won’t fit.
So far, we haven’t had major problems with EA chargers. Once in awhile we need to move to a different charger when one has a problem. But we’ve never not been able to charge.
We carry a J1772 adapter with us in case we’re at a hotel with Tesla EVSEs.

• Informative
Reactions: Yurand and David29
I'm hoping to drive my Y for many years to come. My lady, currently driving a 4 year old Bolt with brand new, longer range battery, will be up next in a few years.
She does not want a Tesla due to Elon's ramblings so I guess we will see when the time comes. There are a lot more options than when we bought our first Leaf 6 years ago!
My lady feels the same way. I told her I understood... and immediately started researching Taycans! :D👍

The only reason it won’t be a Tesla (likely an S) is if I decide I just want a new beater …… in which case it will be a Bolt ……. Unless a cheaper but functional alternative shows up. But every time I think about doing that, I figure I’ll just end up with another beater I never want to drive because I love driving my Y so much. I keep having to jump the battery on my HR-V because I start the thing so infrequently. So ……. Probably an S.
The Bolt is surprisingly fun to drive. To be fair, I'm the guy who's basically happy so long as I don't have to play leapfrog with everyone else on the hills like in the VW bus my family had in the 70s. So, maybe not the best person to review fun-ness of cars. That said, I have one of each, and in comparison to the Y, the Bolt feels lighter on its feet. Despite the Y's faster 0-60 time, it drives more like a big car, while the Bolt feels sportier in the corners. Plus it's a lot easier to slide into a tiny Washington DC on-street spot when you find one. For my current purposes, Bolt & Y make a perfect combination.

Drove 2 BMWs over a decade before getting a MY. I dumped BMW when they introduced their hideous Schnozola grills, perhaps the ugliest cars on the road today. I like my MY, as an ex BMW loyalist, but hold a very low opinion of Elon Musk, Tesla service, and Tesla technicians. Wouldn't consider reverting to owning another ICE vehicle.

Last edited:
The Bolt is surprisingly fun to drive. To be fair, I'm the guy who's basically happy so long as I don't have to play leapfrog with everyone else on the hills like in the VW bus my family had in the 70s. So, maybe not the best person to review fun-ness of cars. That said, I have one of each, and in comparison to the Y, the Bolt feels lighter on its feet. Despite the Y's faster 0-60 time, it drives more like a big car, while the Bolt feels sportier in the corners. Plus it's a lot easier to slide into a tiny Washington DC on-street spot when you find one. For my current purposes, Bolt & Y make a perfect combination.
Hmm…… now you’ve got me thinking. Might even have saved me some money, too ……..

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Have a Lyriq deposit, am eagerly awaiting the Blazer SS reveal tonight, but the one I really like what I'm seeing and hearing, is the Polestar 3. However that's a lot more than I've ever spent on a car. Not sure I can stomach that sort of expense.

I don't think I could even consider another EV until they stop procuring pouch cells and design a proper battery pack with actual consideration for thermal runaway, which is something of an afterthought for LG and legacies.
Chemistry of batteries can matter.
LiFePO4 do not seem to have thermal runaway problems at all.
Battery makers decide which form factor to make based on costs & buyer (OEM demands) right?

Hmm…… now you’ve got me thinking. Might even have saved me some money, too ……..
For the US price you get a lot.

I would second the comments about the Bolt feeling peppier than the Y.

My problem with the Bolt is GM and the way the lack of communication with customers around the recall and timing.

The brake booster was also making a clicking noise that was covered by a TSB and a result of software programming. They charged me $170 for that update which was ridiculous.

For the US price you get a lot.

I would second the comments about the Bolt feeling peppier than the Y.

My problem with the Bolt is GM and the way the lack of communication with customers around the recall and timing.

The brake booster was also making a clicking noise that was covered by a TSB and a result of software programming. They charged me $170 for that update which was ridiculous.
Agreed (though I didn't have the brake issue). Still waiting on a new battery, myself. And the purchase process was two weeks of back and forth, with me explaining that no, this car does not have DC fast charging, you need to get me one that does. Fortunately I was in a position to walk away, which I had to do to get them to honor the price on their website. Ended up buying the fancy winter floor mats that I didn't want because "package". Turns out I'm glad I did, so that worked out okay. But yeah, as bad as Tesla is at communication, GM & their dealers is definitely in the "hold my beer" category there.

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
I am with you. Tesla is out to prove what Toyota has proven time and again in terms of being a dependable manufacturer. Not to say I've had major problems with the Tesla, but Toyota Care is a huge asset and I'd have no questions about build quality and service options. It's likely by then too that the market will equal out and Tesla may be able to place a larger emphasis on QC. Until then the market has favored Tesla in spite of these issues, so there's no reason to invest resources there.
Didn't Toyota just recall 100% of their new EVs because the wheels could fall off when accelerating or cornering?

• Funny
Reactions: brainhouston
Currently:
2020 M3SR+ (mine)
2020 Civic (hers)

On order definite:
MYLR (Nov-Dec)

Speculative orders placed:
Cybertruck
F150 Lightning
Canoo (lifestyle and pickup)
Blazer EV 2LT
Maybe a Bolt for her to replace Civic

Not sure which one of the speculative orders we’ll follow through with. They’re all $100 refundable deposits.

Reactions: kindofblue
Drive a MYP, love it so far. Have a R1S on reservation, pre-price hike, expected mid to late 23'. Also have a BMW iX 50 on order for wife, expected early-mid 23. Will take a call on which ones to keep when they come in.
Test drove the iX, it is such a brilliant car, if you can get past the looks and the price tag .. :)