Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your next EV after Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cost of DC fast charging in parts of the US (i.e Florida) are actually more expensive than gas.

Let's look at a RAV4 Prime (36-38mpg on the highway) compared to say a Model Y (let's use 3.6 mi/kWh) with current AAA Florida gas prices at $3.46 (AAA Gas Prices) with a DC charging rate of $0.43/kWh (pretty normal for Florida... sometimes $0.52/kWh and sometimes in the 30s)

The RAV4 Prime is cheaper on the road trip and you don't have to stop every 200 miles and the suspension isn't rock hard.

View attachment 851242

CCS charging network is terrible but let's be honest.. the ride quality of the Tesla for long trips is pretty mediocre and due to increased Supercharger rates it's not cheaper to road trip either. Home/work charging is where the big savings lie.

My next Tesla will probably be an Model S... a friend who owned a 3 and Y basically has convinced me. He hates the ride quality of the 3 and Y and swears by the S's air suspension.
Let's face it, the 3 is a lot more fun car to drive than a RAV4 :) There is also (often free) overnight hotel level 2 charging. The yoke+stalkless thing in the S/X is an absolute deal breaker for me personally (and it is out of my desired price range anyway). Looks like the 3/Y may be heading somewhere similar with the steering wheel/stalks, so this is probably my last Tesla anyway. I find the suspension traddeoff in the 3 between stiffness and handling one I like though, but I can see where it is not for everybody.

due to increased Supercharger rates it's not cheaper to road trip either. Home/work charging is where the big savings lie.
Yes, but that home charging puts a huge dent in the cost of a road trip -- leaving with a full charge at $0.08/kW and arriving with an almost-empty battery, the need for Supercharging is minimized. So, even at an average cost of $0.50 per kW at a Supercharger (as per my Charging Stats), it still is a significant cost savings.

If I drive my first 225 miles at a cost of $6.20 (home charging cost off peak), and my next 125 miles at a cost of $10 (average SC cost), the cost for my 350 mile trip is about $16.20. Lets add an additional 10-12% in my battery at the end of the trip, adding about $4 at Supercharger prices. So, $22.20 to drive 350 miles to my cottage - well, it was 350 miles before my latest move. In a car averaging 36 mpg, it would take about 9.7 gallons of gas, so, even at cheap US gas prices, that's $33.56, which means the EV is a savings of about 34% (in Canadian gas prices (current average $5.67/ US gallon), it's a savings of almost 60%).

The costs even out at about 500 miles, a reasonable driving day on a road trip.........The first 225 miles is $6.20, the next 275 miles is done at Supercharger cost of about $38.20, and the extra bit in the battery when you arrive at $4, gives a total of $48.40 for 500 miles. That ICE car would require 13.9 gallons for $48.00, so at about 500 miles a day, the EV and the ICE vehicle average about the same cost of "fuel".

Last edited:
Ive really been eyeing the Audi GTe , their taycan sister car, ( it is still more than a MS Plaid I think) .. but I am so invested in FSDb on my 2017 MS 90d and all my upgrades, (and the battery is still really great !) that I cant see moving to another. I got lucky and have a good one so im gonna a go a bit longer. I do need to think about what I am going todo when the battery and motor warrantee expires. when my wifes 2012 ford escape dies we are definitely going EV for that replacement. I got a couple of years to think about what the EV SUV market will be .

Reactions: randmness
I love the model 3 performance but if Subaru came out with an EV WRX hatchback I’d really have to consider it. I always loved the look of them and I feel like they do a good job on the suspension which was my only real gripe with the model 3.

I traded my Tesla in on a Rivian.

With Tesla I learned that what I really wanted out of an EV was an Adventure Vehicle that I could go places with.

The R1T allows me to take my folding Kayak, inflatable paddleboard, electric longboard, scooter, and all my luggage to some campsite. I even stuck an iKamper 3.0 Mini on it.

My only major disappointment is the Electrify America network reliability.

I did get a chance to charge a couple times at a Rivian Adventure Network site (in Northern Cali) and it was a very Tesla like experience of "it just works". I'm hoping they'll roll out more north of Cali and especially in the coast and in Bend Oregon.

I haven't identified a manufacturer that I like more than Tesla at this point. My key values, in no particular order, are:

• Reliability
  • Sustainability
  • Customer focused support
  • Ease of use
  • Cost
  • Charging infrastructure
  • Drivability
  • Efficiency
Tesla's huge advantage is the Supercharging/destination charging infrastructure, motor/battery technology and usage data, and innovative brand perception. Their disadvantage is that they are a target by many competitors (and regulatory bodies), Service Centers seem to have a disproportionate number of negative experiences, out of warranty repair costs are higher than many owners expected, speculated design flaws are popping up and Tesla is reluctant to issue recalls and TSBs.

I will wait for other brands to show which battery models are the most reliable, have the greatest longevity, and a reasonable Level 3 charging curve, then make my decision from there. LG Chem has a black-eye in my mind and I've yet to see how CATL holds up.

I’m most curious what former Tesla owners will buy AFTER their non-Tesla purchase. Will they go back to Tesla after this? Right now it seems many people are in the “honeymoon phase” of their new non-Tesla. Looks like I’ll have to wait a few years to find out. I can see where after owning a Tesla, someone would want to try another brand for variety or they feel wronged by service or may want supposedly better build quality.

Also I find that many of the gripes early year Tesla owners had was that initially service pampered them alot and now not much at all. I suspect the same will happen to others like Rivian over time.

And of course there will be some “never buy Tesla again” people out there.

As for me, I’m sticking with Tesla for the foreseeable future. Cybertruck is next to replace my Ford while keeping my 2017 S for as long as possible.

Based on what's available today, the F-150. I absolutely need a truck next. Even the Pro standard battery version has a 214 mile range at 70mph, per Inside EV's testing. However there will be more options on the market before I'm ready to buy, so time will tell.