Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your rated range again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got an AWD LR Model 3. Just over a year old and I get about 430km at 90%. I've tried to recalibrate the BMS as well, but no luck. I figure I'm somewhere between 3% to 4% degradation after a year.
When you charge to 90% now do you have Regen dots? Mine also started giving Regen dots down to 80% ish charge and that wasn't happening last year when I was charging to high 440s. Just wondering if there is a correlation there because it seems there are more AWD that show this apparent range loss than RWD.

I say apparent because unless you drive the same route under the same conditions for 500km you won't really know if it's real loss or if there is some underlying algorithm correcting the estimate. I know tesla doesn't modify the range shown like other EVs (ie they don't technically have a guess o meter), but when I spoke to the SC about this they did imply that the car does do some slight correction based on driving style.

One example given to me was a car in for repair that sits for a while and has basically vampire drain and no km driven. When the customer gets the car back the range estimate will be off because of this, and the car will slowly recover back. If this is indeed a 'thing' then since I drive about 80km/day and see around 80km/week of vampire drain maybe that's the car estimating my typical range knowing my typical vampire drain between charges?

Last edited:
Model 3 AWD delivery Oct 2018. Other than the first week I got rated range > 490km, I have been seeing consistent 480km plus minus since the second week. I once checked with Tesla in winter; they said it's normal because of the environmental temperature. Now it's in summer, I charged up to 100% and got 483km this morning.

What's yours?
Mine is also stuck at 460 at 100% and they gave me save excuse even though it was summer

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
Decided to charge to 100% last night. Registered 477. Assume some degradation? Charge most days to ~ 85% & start ~ 65%.
Sept 2018 delivery, lr awd. Is pcons explanation making sense? We stored our T3 for the winter, had it plugged in in the garage.

Over the summer I've been charging to 100% when going out of town each month, my full charge now hovers around 506km, a great improvement over the low of 475 in the past.

Let's see how winter affects this number but I am now tracking my usage per season to see any patterns.

When you charge to 90% now do you have Regen dots? Mine also started giving Regen dots down to 80% ish charge and that wasn't happening last year when I was charging to high 440s. Just wondering if there is a correlation there because it seems there are more AWD that show this apparent range loss than RWD.

I say apparent because unless you drive the same route under the same conditions for 500km you won't really know if it's real loss or if there is some underlying algorithm correcting the estimate. I know tesla doesn't modify the range shown like other EVs (ie they don't technically have a guess o meter), but when I spoke to the SC about this they did imply that the car does do some slight correction based on driving style.

One example given to me was a car in for repair that sits for a while and has basically vampire drain and no km driven. When the customer gets the car back the range estimate will be off because of this, and the car will slowly recover back. If this is indeed a 'thing' then since I drive about 80km/day and see around 80km/week of vampire drain maybe that's the car estimating my typical range knowing my typical vampire drain between charges?

I'll have to check tomorrow morning. I charged to 90% this morning, but I didn't look to see if there were regen dots.

Interesting thought on vampire drain having an effect in the range calculation. I work from home, so there are days were I do very little driving.

Decided to charge to 100% last night. Registered 477. Assume some degradation? Charge most days to ~ 85% & start ~ 65%.
Sept 2018 delivery, lr awd. Is pcons explanation making sense? We stored our T3 for the winter, had it plugged in in the garage.
If the vampire drain example plays a role I would expect that leaving it plugged in would negate that, but who knows...only the software team that wrote the algorithm for displaying the range :)

If nothing else, seeing so many others at a similar range at 90 or 100% to what I'm seeing either means it's normal, or there's a biiiiig problem. My money is leaning closer to normal/some explanation like an algorithm making slight corrections.

If tesla actually incorporated a guess o meter like all other EVs this wouldn't be so easy to see, and much less scary for the paranoid folks like us. :cool:

My "80%" charge (if I use the navigation and look at the trip graph I see the starting point is 82%) used to be over 400km but it's inched down more recently and is now about 391km after an attempt to "calibrate/balance" it. 391/.82 = 477 so it looks like about the same as others. Car is 6 months old with just over 7k km. As for the regent dots, I've been getting them consistently after an "80%" charge and they stay until the trip graph drops below the 80% line.

• Informative
Reactions: GlenM
The range distance at set charge will certainly change every time you charge. Been driving my model S for 3 years and 90% charge will flip flop between 340 to 346.

It doesn't appear to be affected by driving style or weather. It is just simply how the BMS read the battery at the time. That said though, distance is pretty consistent regardless of what it says, its always tracking the higher end.

Reading my posts online, not sure if there's a pattern: the first Canadian batch of Dual Motor delivered Jul 2018 to Dec 2018 seems having some sort of battery quality issue. Battery health drops 6-9% of rated range after a year of use - meaning 100% charging stops at 460 plus minus km area.

I'm in that batch and that matches what I'm seeing now but I hadn't lost a single km by June 2019 and over 35,000 km. All my 7-9% has been since then in the next 10-12k km.

Reactions: corlaandstan
SR+, three months of driving, 16,000 km

Teslafi shows starting range of 377.06 km; current range 357.49 km; 5.47% loss.

Wow, that's a lot driving MexiCanuck. I picked my up the same day/week and have 6000km. I'd be pissed with only 357km.
Began with 382km, now at 377km.
I plan to run down to 5% tomorrow and charge up to 95% to see if battery re-calibrates.

Wow, that's a lot driving MexiCanuck. I picked my up the same day/week and have 6000km. I'd be pissed with only 357km.
Began with 382km, now at 377km.
I plan to run down to 5% tomorrow and charge up to 95% to see if battery re-calibrates.

The smaller batteries will cycle more often.

Driver A drives 25000kms a year and has a 3LR, that's 50 full 0-100% cycles.

Driver B drives 25000kms a year and has a SR+, that's 64.77 0-100% cycles. The battery here will degrade at a faster rate as the kms climb.

Hopefully, we're not doing 0-100% very often :)

Is it within spec? That's another matter as only Tesla (as some 3rd party trackers) has the data on all these batteries.

I'm in that batch and that matches what I'm seeing now but I hadn't lost a single km by June 2019 and over 35,000 km. All my 7-9% has been since then in the next 10-12k km.
Not sure if there is a correlation of early LR AWDs but same here and I'll put my two cents in.

Very low mileage LR AWD with less an 6,000km since September '18. Displayed range was a consistent 400km @ 80% until around July with it suddenly dropped to 386km. Not as bad as some but very suspicious nonetheless. I thought maybe it had to do with parking in the baking summer sun everyday but that's probably the norm for those in more southern areas.

Reading my posts online, not sure if there's a pattern: the first Canadian batch of Dual Motor delivered Jul 2018 to Dec 2018 seems having some sort of battery quality issue. Battery health drops 6-9% of rated range after a year of use - meaning 100% charging stops at 460 plus minus km area.
Mine was delivered End of March 2019, and if I recall the build date is January 2019 so you can probably expand your date range a bit. Seems odd that it would only affect AWD since the RWD would have the same battery pack. Only thing I could think of is the AWD probably does stronger regen (due to dual motors) so maybe the regen is affecting the pack health, which could also explain why we get regen dots at charge states over 80% now.

Reactions: bijan
Not sure if there is a correlation of early LR AWDs but same here and I'll put my two cents in.

Very low mileage LR AWD with less an 6,000km since September '18. Displayed range was a consistent 400km @ 80% until around July with it suddenly dropped to 386km. Not as bad as some but very suspicious nonetheless. I thought maybe it had to do with parking in the baking summer sun everyday but that's probably the norm for those in more southern areas.
I think my drop happened in July (or perhaps August) as well. Sure seems software related to me, since the timing is suspiciously similar for everyone even though other variables like mileage and age are highly variable.

Reactions: corlaandstan
I've got an AWD LR Model 3. Just over a year old and I get about 430km at 90%. I've tried to recalibrate the BMS as well, but no luck. I figure I'm somewhere between 3% to 4% degradation after a year.
I got my AWD LR the same week you got yours last year.

I don't actually regularly look at the battery in km, I usually have it to per cent to not get too worried about range or degradation (you can always use the energy app for a much better look at range rather than the "rated" range displayed if you switch units to distance)

Earlier this month I was supercharging in Missoula to 100% to get through Kalispell to Glacier to the Fort McLeod supercharger. For curiosity's sake I wanted to see what it would get to, so I switched the energy display to distance and flipped the distance units and it worked out to 496 km / 308 miles at 100%. It was still charging but after about 15 min at 100% and time remaining at "Calculating" with 1 kW charge rate (9 km/hr), I didn't want to wait any further and continued on.
IMG_20190828_191018.jpg

This would be 0.6% degradation in either unit. I'm pretty sure in spring, before I switched to per cent, I was getting a lot less rated range than this when extrapolating 90% to full range. Perhaps looking at the 90% and extrapolating isn't accurate and you need to charge to 100% to get an accurate representation of full. Or perhaps if the battery is still warm from travel and then you charge to full it gives the BMS a better view of the battery capacity. Or maybe my reading was skewed and is higher than it should be because it was still on the supercharger.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
I got my AWD LR the same week you got yours last year.

I don't actually regularly look at the battery in km, I usually have it to per cent to not get too worried about range or degradation (you can always use the energy app for a much better look at range rather than the "rated" range displayed if you switch units to distance)

Earlier this month I was supercharging in Missoula to 100% to get through Kalispell to Glacier to the Fort McLeod supercharger. For curiosity's sake I wanted to see what it would get to, so I switched the energy display to distance and flipped the distance units and it worked out to 496 km / 308 miles at 100%. It was still charging but after about 15 min at 100% and time remaining at "Calculating" with 1 kW charge rate (9 km/hr), I didn't want to wait any further and continued on.
View attachment 458646
This would be 0.6% degradation in either unit. I'm pretty sure in spring, before I switched to per cent, I was getting a lot less rated range than this when extrapolating 90% to full range. Perhaps looking at the 90% and extrapolating isn't accurate and you need to charge to 100% to get an accurate representation of full. Or perhaps if the battery is still warm from travel and then you charge to full it gives the BMS a better view of the battery capacity. Or maybe my reading was skewed and is higher than it should be because it was still on the supercharger.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's awesome! It looks like your car has had very little battery degradation over the year. The last time I Supercharged to 100% I had 483km of range. I'm not too concerned as I know that you can experience degradation in the first few months of owning the car, and then it will stabilize. Based on your signature, I think our cars were part of the same delivery batch last September.