Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your top feature request that could be accomplished via software update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once activated by R, keep the reverse cam on until I'm going 3mph or so in D. Sometimes you need to return to D to park, but then the camera cuts off and you can't see your rearward reference point. If you really are intending to drive off somewhere after R then D, you will quickly hit 3mph within a second and get your map back. Seems like a reasonable trade-off. Probably can't have nice things because, lawyers.

Other cars do this (the Gen 1 Volt kept the rear camera up until you hit 5mph going forward), so I can't imagine it's excluded in Teslas for legal or liability reasons.

Reactions: WilliamG
Idea to improve model 3 software; Have the side mirror LCDs stop dimming when near your garage door (tie to homelink). The dimming makes checking the side car clearance difficult at night using side view mirrors when turning into tight garage spaces.

Reactions: WilliamG
- a quicker / easier way to toggle sport / chill mode (right scroll button press?)
- access to trip log beyond 3 trips
- better caching of map data for trips into offline areas
- software controls for empty passenger seat
- 1 fewer wipe after using washer fluid..
- make auto-steer react less drunk to lanes that merge into 1, or lanes that become wider
- ability to modify how much auto-steer hugs the median, similar to how you can set cruise follow distance

1. Read/send text messages by voice command.

2. Add a lot more voice commands to the menu. Enough to do everything screen does or close to it.

2. Make the rear camera record constantly like the front camera does now.

3. Add a slight delay into the window up/down, so it takes more than a dump to move them.

4. When you ask for music "play blues" have it search the USB devices too not just the internet.

I haven't updated/re-ranked my list in a while:

• Single touch to speak next navigation instruction even when instructions muted (my 2002 Lexus had this, and it's surprisingly handy)
  • TACC chill-level adjustment (I'd like it even more chill on both acceleration and deceleration)
  • EAP lane change: reduce flinch back, even at the expense of waiting longer to try. Flinch-back has convinced my wife that EAP is scary.
  • Operator hints replace map display in Valet mode (reddit)
  • Cut steering wheel power when the vehicle is placed in Park after driving
  • Hands free EAP via selfie-cam (or any other way.)
  • Add Waze support/integration
  • Blind spot alerting audible, could include activating camera for that side, audible signal could come from the direction of danger
  • Aerial view for parking (even if it's got a dead zone in front; care more about sides. Besides, this could be VR where it doesn't have direct view. )
  • Self-park (perpendicular and parallel) without neighbor cars
  • Self-park (perpendicular and parallel) without pulling past
  • Adaptive brake light flash (or just modulated, though adaptive would be better, and the hardware is clearly present to do this)
  • Entertainment improvements (Spotify in USA, USB fixes, control responsiveness,...)
  • EAP adjusts lane position to tend away from other vehicles
  • EAP looks further ahead for slowing
  • Link driver profile automatically with driver phone/card
  • Audible feedback when turn signal cancelled (especially on auto-cancel)
  • Backup cam, if activated by reverse, remains active until Park or Drive >7mph
  • Courtesy lights when approaching parked vehicle at night
  • Reliable press-to-release on charge cable
  • Expand driver profile to include audio settings, more preferences...
  • EAP responsive to lane change signalling by cars intending to enter travel lane
  • Passenger-accessible audio mute
  • Map travel-up setting should be sticky
  • Yellow rear turn signals (yes, I suspect this is not software... but I can hope.) Confirmed hardware not present on NA models. Sad face.
  • Map recenters above audio controls when audio controls up I think this has gotten better.
  • Navigation waypoints
  • Set TACC to current speed even when below limit Workaround by setting to -20, but this could still use improvement.
  • Voice command expansion (HVAC, audio, ...)
  • Power trunk retrofit kit
  • Link driver profile to driver Tesla identity (i.e. across vehicles)
  • More restrictive valet mode
  • Add rear camera to USB dashcam
  • Wiper logic learns from driver manual actuation
  • Turn signal sound comes from activated side
  • Open trunk/frunk with gestures
  • Summon with gestures
  • More sensitive automatic volume
  • Web browser Web browser that works
  • Text message support for reading incoming messages and dictating new ones
  • Performance gauges display
  • Add all cameras to USB dashcam
  • Replace rear quarter windows with Lexan

+1 to a few...

I haven't updated/re-ranked my list in a while:

+1 EAP adjusts lane position to tend away from other vehicles
+1 EAP looks further ahead for slowing
+1 Link driver profile automatically with driver phone/card
+1 Navigation waypoints
+1 Replace rear quarter windows with Lexan

+ Steering wheel tug the opposite direction when making an obstructed lane change...not just in the blind spot

I wish the app's Climate control's would have a memory setting that would remember what you last set it to, or even different profiles, instead of just always turning on all the heaters in every seat.
This! Whenever I turn on the Climate via the app, I then have to turn off all the seat heaters and adjust the driver's seat, a total of 11 taps on the screen! Horrible user interface. Why can't it remember the previous settings?

Reactions: KenF
My pet peeves:
An audible feedback when "Hold" is engaged, and perhaps disengaged. Optional, of course. I use hold often and occasionally get bit when I assume it on when its not.

The auto windshield washer would be a superb feature if it actually worked, as is it's an embarrassment. Software adjustable sensitivity is needed. Also, it would be nice if the manual wiper speed could be adjusted without poking at the touchscreen - voice perhaps?

August update; observations based on 2019.24.4:

New or major changes are italicized. Lots of re-ordering.

• Meta: Adjust priorities to focus a portion on quick-and-cool functional (not game) improvements. Every update should have at least one "ooh, cool, checkitout" or "wow, that's handy" feature planned.

• TACC neighboring lane speed adjustment (car is willing to go waaay too fast even when the adjacent lane is slow or stopped. 70mph speed differentials in active traffic lanes are unsafe.)
  • TACC chill-level adjustment (I'd like it even more chill on both acceleration and deceleration)
  • EAP lane change: reduce flinch back, even at the expense of waiting longer to try. Flinch-back has convinced my wife that EAP is scary. (This has gotten enough better to strike.)
  • Operator hints replace map display in Valet mode (reddit) (This is also the best way to handle car wash mode.)
  • Aerial view for parking (even if it's got a dead zone in front; care more about sides. Besides, this could be VR interpolation where it doesn't have direct view. )
  • EAP adjust lane position to tend away from other vehicles
  • Self-park (perpendicular and parallel) without neighbor cars
  • Self-park (perpendicular and parallel) without dry-scrubbing tires
  • Adaptive brake light flash (or just modulated, though adaptive would be better, and the hardware is clearly present to do this. Yes, this is legal in the US; completely legal on the CHMSL, and arguable on the main stop lamps. CHMSL only would be fine.)
  • Open frunk with hand/arm gestures
  • Single touch to speak next navigation instruction even when instructions muted (my 2002 Lexus had this, and it's surprisingly handy)
  • Courtesy lights automatically activate when approaching parked vehicle at night
  • Cut steering wheel power when the vehicle is placed in Park after driving
  • Hands free EAP via selfie-cam (or any other way, i.e. get rid of the steering wheel torque requirement.)
  • Add Waze support/integration (view reports, submit reports)
  • Blind spot alerting audible, could include activating camera for that side, audible signal could come from the direction of danger
  • Entertainment improvements (Spotify in USA, USB fixes, control responsiveness,...)
  • Add key vehicle data to TeslaCam data stream (position, direction, speed, control state, AP state, etc. get stored in frame-level metadata)
  • EAP looks further ahead for slowing
  • EAP improve handling of lane splits and lane-gets-wider (This has gotten enough better to strike.)
  • Link driver profile automatically with driver phone/card (Said to be in 2019.28; striking this in anticipation.)
  • Audible feedback when turn signal cancelled (especially on auto-cancel)
  • Courtesy lights automatically activate when approaching parked vehicle at night
  • Backup cam, if activated by reverse, remains active until Park or Drive >7mph
  • Hill hold (i.e. prevent rollback without having to enable creep).
  • Reliable press-to-release on charge cable
  • Automatic spotting of police cars with audible alert (AP computer should be able to spot most common color schemes, right? :) Doesn't have to spot those awful pseudo-unmarked CHP cars, but normal black-and-whites should be easy.)
  • Expand driver profile to include audio settings, more preferences...
  • Performance gauges display option
  • Self-park (perpendicular and parallel) without pulling past
  • EAP responsive to lane change signalling by cars intending to enter travel lane
  • Passenger-accessible audio one-touch-mute
  • Map travel-up setting should be sticky
  • Yellow rear turn signals (yes, I suspect this is not software... but I can hope.) Confirmed hardware not present on NA models. Sad face.
  • Map recenters above audio controls when audio controls up I think this has gotten better.
  • Navigation waypoints
  • Set TACC to current speed even when below limit Workaround by setting to -20, but this could still use improvement.
  • Voice command expansion (HVAC, audio, ...)
  • Power trunk retrofit kit
  • Link driver profile to driver Tesla identity (i.e. across vehicles)
  • More restrictive valet mode
  • Door presentation retrofit kit
  • Add rear camera to TeslaCam
  • Wiper logic learns from driver manual actuation
  • Turn signal sound comes from activated side
  • Summon with gestures
  • More sensitive automatic volume
  • Web browser Web browser that works Web browser: add personalization, including adblocks and plugins
  • Text message support for reading incoming messages and dictating new ones
  • Add all cameras to USB dashcam
  • Replace rear quarter windows with Lexan

A few suggestions after owning my 3 for two weeks:
  1. Automatic 360° mode when going slow and radars detect nearby objects
  2. Turn on rear camera when approaching home (lets me see when I'm far enough in the garage)
  3. Turn off auto-lock when near home
  4. Have Tesla vehicles automatically "wave" to each other on the road (flash some lights, etc.)

A few suggestions after owning my 3 for two weeks:
  1. Automatic 360° mode when going slow and radars detect nearby objects
  2. Turn on rear camera when approaching home (lets me see when I'm far enough in the garage)
  3. Turn off auto-lock when near home
  4. Have Tesla vehicles automatically "wave" to each other on the road (flash some lights, etc.)

I really want #2 as well, turn it on manually every time I pull in (since they do mirrors automatocally turn it, rear camera should be ready).

#4 wouldn't work in Cali - the car would be constantly flashing lights.

1. Better interaction with my phones media. Just having play is not doing it for me
  2. Ability for Tesla to read my test messages to me
  3. Alternative routing with navigation. Waze still trumps the navigation on the Tesla.
  4. Surround view to protect my rims. I am careful but would be a great addition for parking or getting close to curbs.
  5. Homelink without having to install some gadget.
  6. Ability to read sop signs while in auto. Or does that come with fsd?
  7. Oils you it be cool if the driver handle opened out when you approached it instead of having to push it like the others? Just for driver.
  8. Better audio commands. Still struggle to get the commands to work better
  9. Make autopilot align to the lane that is straightest instead of pulling away to the right when a lane marking disappears on the right due to lane merge considerations.

Second vote for CHAdeMO support. My company has ChargePoint stations in the parking garage and I believe that the S and X owners here can use them.
So, with the recent release of 2019.24.4 I can drop CHAdeMO support off my wish list. Verified that the ChargePoint stations with attached Tesla adapters now work on my 3. The bad news is that there now appears to be some competition among the two dozen or so Model 3 owners at work to use the two DC Fast stands. Another bit of bad news, to me anyway, is that my days are numbered at Samsung. The group I am in is being disbanded. Our last day is Sept. 13. I may not be buying the Tesla-CHAdeMO adapter as I initially planned.

Moving up on my list to the #1 spot: Control over automatic rear view mirror dimming. Want option to turn it off on ALL mirrors.

Ability to manually ping the car's location from the app. Useful in cases where the car was towed and the location didn't update due to the car not driving.

Ability to either control or at least check the status of the windows from the app.