Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Prediction for Restoration of USS Features

When do you think the park assist and other features will be restored?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newer Teslas don't have ultrasonic sensors (USS), and we're told that

For a short period of time during this transition, Tesla Vision vehicles that are not equipped with USS will be delivered with some features temporarily limited or inactive, including:
  • Park Assist: alerts you of surrounding objects when the vehicle is traveling <8 km/h.
  • Autopark: automatically maneuvers into parallel or perpendicular parking spaces.
  • Summon: manually moves your vehicle forward or in reverse via the Tesla app.
  • Smart Summon: navigates your vehicle to your location or location of your choice via the Tesla app.
In the near future, once these features achieve performance parity to today’s vehicles, they will be restored via a series of over-the-air software updates.

What's your prediction for when these features will be restored?

They will probably make several attempts to make it work without the sensors before eventually reverting back much like when they inevitably add radar back to these cars so FSD has a chance of actually working as promised.
That's what some of the YouTube Tesla channels are predicting, and I wouldn't be surprised. I just wonder if I get an MY without, will I have the option to have USS retrofit even if at my own expense?

They haven’t even gotten Vision Autopilot to parity with radar (Vision limited to “2” following distance) and they gave up already on that so 🤷🏻‍♂️
My take on the poll is they release some sort of equivalent feature, not necessarily parity given due to the different nature of the tech used, there will always be tradeoffs.

As a reminder to reach the current 85mph for Vision, it took almost exactly a year (May 2021 launch to May 2022 when they restored 85mph). I'm going to throw in a November vote just for fun based on this.

Last edited:
My take on the poll is they release some sort of equivalent feature, not necessarily parity given due to the different nature of the tech used, there will always be tradeoffs
I've thought that, but what happens when someone hits the side of the garage door opening because the proximity warning said it was 20" away?

Maybe they'll call it a beta and warn that you can't rely on it?

I've thought that, but what happens when someone hits the side of the garage door opening because the proximity warning said it was 20" away?

Maybe they'll call it a beta and warn that you can't rely on it?
I'm talking more of stuff like for example instead of 1" increments it goes by 2" increments. Or instead of 12" minimum, it goes to 16" minimum. Or maybe it does not have memory that persists with sleep, so when you pull out from sleep, it might not show distance in the front. Basically tradeoffs similar to the 85mph and 2 distance setting for Vision. If you mean "parity" however, I might be more inclined to vote "never" as it's fairly likely that it won't ever perform exactly the same as USS.

There may also be other things possible that wasn't before. For example pings on the side, where previously there were no sensors. Or being able to ping for a thin pole when backing up (where previously I have read plenty of reports of people backing into a pole and USS not giving a warning).