Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel and Tire Config After Rotate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just rotated my tires. What is the point of updating the wheel and tire configuration?

20230630_073939.jpg

Sadly thats been proven to not work (at least on the pre-bluetooth TPMS 'vintage' 3s).

With 2023.20.7, a Tesla now keeps track of miles in between rotations (if reset via the center screen GUI) and will throw alerts/notjfications akin to 00s/10s style 'change engine or transmission oil' or 'worn breaks' 'worn tires' service alerts on many ICE vehicles.

Another nanny for the lazy (like auto wipers, auto headlights, etc.)

Beloved Tesla hacker greentheonly has found a number of tire-related variable names in the code like lateral stiffness and tread depth but I’m not aware of any further information available.
A search for "greentheonly "stiffness"" on google returns zero results.
Extraordinary claims and all.

(Notice it wants you to limit acceleration for a few minutes, yet says nothing about turning, so it's really hard to imagine how this is doing any learning of lateral stiffness)

The car also measures and keeps track of the lateral stiffness of the front and rear tires independently to allow for tighter tuning of the auto-steer gains.
Absolutely nothing you posted suggests that the car tracks front and rear separately or the function of this tracking.
You're saying because you found a paper on how to measure stiffness that Tesla must be doing it, and doing it independently on the front and rear axle?