Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When can we expect to see a CCS Adapter for the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could this data link be retrofitted to pre-raven Model S cars for a future adapter?

A CCS adapter would be so much more useful in the future than a CHADEMO adapter.

Yes - Tesla has said the retrofit will cost ~$1100 (which is pretty reasonable IMO) but they also said they have no plans of releasing an adapter in the US at this time which I guess makes sense as it will cut into a revenue stream for them.

At first, I was really excited about the Electrify America stations and the potential to use them. However, when I looked at their map, they're installing them in Walmart parking lots. There are 2 problems with this. First, they are mostly off the interstate so they would be useless when traveling. Secondly, I do my best to avoid Walmart parking lots - at all cost. That's a nightmare...

Having no such Walmartaphobia I actually pulled into a EA station unaware that they were ChaDeMo/CCS only. Apart from the plug incompatibility, the stations are clearly designed for use only by vehicles with a charge port up front. The cables are all fastened at the top of the station with limited reach.

I was just excited just to see any destination charging in Houston. However, I prefer the free service at IKEA and Whole Foods 365. If it saves me a few pennies of paid charging at home, I’m all for it and the parking spots are always closer to the door. ;)

Can you cut that the shape of your keyfob?

Is there a reason why the CCS charging is so easily implemented in Europe but not in the US? Is there something with the US cars that make the possibility of a CCS adapter hard to implement?

CCS got implemented quickly (not particularly easily) in the EU because EU law required it.

New EVs certified to be sold in the EU since a year or two ago must use CCS ports, and charging stations installed there must have at least on CCS cable (last I heard, folks were arguing about whether that was one per site or one for every charging stall.)

They did the same thing to phone charging in the early 00s, which is why every phone in the States suddenly started using micro USB instead of the fifteen or twenty unique plugs we had before.

That was definitely a good change for the public. This one I’m less sure of, because I think Tesla’s technical solution is better.

I don't think that is true, as even the new Leaf still uses CHAdeMO...

Well, here’s the requirement for charging stations:

Directive 2014/94/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 October 2014 on the deployment of alternative fuels infrastructure Text with EEA relevance - Publications Office of the EU

Para 33 is the first full description, though the preceding paragraphs are related.

I thought there was a requirement for the cars in the same directive, but I’m not seeing it.

Well, here’s the requirement for charging stations:

Directive 2014/94/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 October 2014 on the deployment of alternative fuels infrastructure Text with EEA relevance - Publications Office of the EU

Para 33 is the first full description, though the preceding paragraphs are related.

I thought there was a requirement for the cars in the same directive, but I’m not seeing it.

Yeah, the requirement for cars to have CCS was my only disagreement. I'm not sure what cars don't other than the Leaf, Model S, and Model X. (And the S&X sort of do with the CCS adapter that Tesla has available.) I think pretty much everyone else has switched to CCS.

I recall Tesla stating for the US market (paraphrasing from memory) regarding the CCS retrofit/adapter that they will continue to evaluate the market to determine what the best charging experience will be for their customers. Basically - don't hold your breath :)
Nice...
o.png

Almost all EU Superchargers have both Tesla and CCS connectors, considering that EU Model 3 is CCS natively. That would be unlikely in NA because the Tesla Supercharger network is now open or in construction nearly everywhere in US and Canada as well as most heavily travelled areas in Mexico. Even the Trans Canada Highway is now under construction or already open along the entire distance with only a couple of gaps where SR Model 3/S60, X60 would stress a bit in the dead of winter with heavy snow, and very few of such vehicles are about to enter those areas in the dead of winter.

Once CCS has reached universal coverage with multiple stalls it’s possible Tesla could offer a CCS adapter. Since most of the CCS station have at least one CHAdeMO the existing adapter should deal well with any conceivable Supercharger gaps.

we seem to have forgotten how massive the gap-filling has been during 2019.

When did EU get Apple to commit USB ports for iPhones???:confused: Or does Apple get an exemption for some reason?

They made some sort of deal with including an adapter with phones or making it easily available or something.

I had read they included one with every phone for a while, but folks from there say they never heard about it, so I’m not 100% sure.

Yeah, the requirement for cars to have CCS was my only disagreement. I'm not sure what cars don't other than the Leaf, Model S, and Model X. (And the S&X sort of do with the CCS adapter that Tesla has available.) I think pretty much everyone else has switched to CCS.
Outlander PHEV and Range and charging - New e-NV200 ⎜Nissan sold all over Europe have CHAdeMO.

EVs – Chademo Association has more, although some are older vehicles that may be out of production.

When you're talking about the bolded part, are you talking about the US, Europe, rest of world including Asia? It doesn't seem they use CCS in China, for instance. They have their own GB/T DC FC standard.

I doubt there's any CCS in Japan whereas there are 7600 CHAdeMO chargers there per http://www.chademo.com/. Even the Japanese market VW e-Golf and BMW i3 have CHAdeMO. I was at Tokyo Motor Show earlier this year. The Japanese market Mercedes EQC had J1772 and CHAdeMO inlets on it. Outside Megaweb as part of the TMS venue, there were a Toyota Mirai (FCEV), Honda Clarity FCEV and Nissan Leaf all with CHAdeMO to these 100 volt output AC boxes:
Nichicon Power Mover
Honda Power Exporter 9000

At TMS, Nissan and Mitsubishi were showing V2H solutions via CHAdeMO (Mitsubishi's is at DENDO DRIVE HOUSE | 2019 Geneva International Motor Show | MITSUBISHI MOTORS JAPAN). I posted about this at Tokyo Motor Show 2019 - Page 2 - My Nissan Leaf Forum.

As of 2017, there were supposedly over 7000 V2H installations in Japan. I've seen Post your questions about the '18 LEAF 2 reveal here - Page 6 - My Nissan Leaf Forum and the 7000 quote is over there.

Last edited:
Could you say what this retrofit means? Do you get an extension/adaptor for CCS? I'd get it for my early 2019 Model S.

For S&X made before May, 2019 you can pay to get CCS adapter and the modifications done to your car to support it. (Or at least you could, I can't find information on it on the Tesla site now.) So you would be best to contact a service center and ask about it.